Thread: Freakin' Computers (and HP Service)

Angry Freakin' Computers (and HP Service)

So I am on-line this morning. Everything is fine. I am downloading a few species pics for my ICON Species Database, checking out the TrekRPGNet Boards. . .and every thing stops. The computer is still making noise like it is doing something, but nothing happens. After 15 minutes of this I shut it down.

Upon restart. . .I am unable to make a connection to the e-net, the freakin' computer can find no modem! What the. . .I was just on-line! How could there be no modem!? I try it three times. . .nothing. I turn the computer off and try watching Blade Runner on WGN. . .about fell asleep on it, so put in ST:FC and watched that. After the movie I try again. . .still no modem.

So I call the HP service number. I am given the option of getting service in English or Spanish. I should have picked Spanish. . .I might have been able to understand more, even though I don't speak Spanish. We are able to eventually figure out what each other want. . .and I am told they can do nothing because my computer is 17 months old, but I am told the modem problem would be an easy fix. I was directed to log onto HP's service center on-line. They would help me there. I asked how I was to do this with no modem. So I was given the option of either going on-line or calling a 900 number and being charged $40 to speak to a tech who would help me over the phone.

Having no choise, I called the 900 number. . .which was no longer in service. A recording gave me a new number to call. Which I did for $40. Now, I was again given the option of English or Spanish. . .again I would have been better off picking Spanish. I tell the tech my problem. I am advised as the computer is 17 months old they could do nothing. I would have to call a 900 number, pay $40 to talk to a tech. . .I advised them that is what I was doing now. The tech said that was fine if that is what I wanted to do and started giving me the 900 number again. . .I spent 10 minutes explaining that that number is what I called to be talking to him then. He eventually gave me a service number and transfered me to someone else.

Now for the third time I am giving HP my name, phone number, address and e-mail. For a third time I am told the computer is 17 months old and I could not be helped. . .they, knowing the modem does not work, directed me for a third time to log onto their HP on-line service center. When I ask how to do that without a modem, I am informed that I could call a 900 number and be charged $40 for assistance. I advised that I had called that number a half hour ago. . .that is the number I called to be speaking to you now. I was told, "Well, if you don't want to pay the $40 for assistance I guess I will just have to help you then. But if this takes too long you will have to call the 900 number." I couldn't say anything. . .I had tried for 40 minutes to get them to understand I had called the 900 number, that is how I was talking to them now.

So, after 25 minutes of trying to understand what this guy was saying and restarting and turning off my computer what seems like a billion times, he talks me through a long complicated list of instructions that finally brings back my modem. He tells me that what ever I did to make my modem go away I should not do anymore. . .and if I have to call again they will insist I call the 900 number and pay $40 for tech support.

I still have no idea what happened to my modem, have no idea what my phone bill is gonna look like and know that the next problem I have with this damn thing I am junking it and buying something, anything, other than an HP.

Sorry, I am angry. If I said anything to offend. . .it was not intened to be so.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Arrow

Okay, that has got to be the most STOOPIDEST customer service I've ever heard.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

That's when you trace the call, and hire a hitman...(I recommend Bullseye, or a Flaxian.)

Well that's probably the best reason for not going with a major OEM. The local computer store *built with spares* computer (and by that I mean top of the line nontheless) is probably your best bet - all the major OEM's have this very problem because ... they all have this useless call centre mentality. If you buy it from your local store you can take it there to be fixed!
    Ta Muchly

Should have probably tried to take out the modem first and put it back inside. That usually kick starts the thing when it fails. Switching between different ports may help also. My ASUS motherboard burnt out a few months ago while still under warranty, when I called their CS they didn't believe me. I took it to a store and had them call the CS, still they wouldn't believe me. So I offered to take it to their office or any business rep in the montrel area...they finally got it...and I got an Intel instead.

Whenever a computer goes crazy on you, its better to try things out yourself (since its 17 months old, no real worries) and see if you can't force it to work.

That Tech support was retarded though...
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Well Hmm yes and no - you should still taker basic precautions - make sure you are earthed at all times... have a grounded metal object to remove any static - there's nothing pops chips better than a good dose of static electricity!

Windows XP can be made to go through the instalation routine if you take out the hardware and put it back in.. I think ME and 2000 will to an extent but older OS might not work as nicelly! Hmm...
    Ta Muchly

I wish I know more about computers so that I could do my own repair. Too bad all I know how to do is turn it off and on.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Hurah - you know two things then - how to turn it on and off and binary You're nearly an expert!

Experience is the great teacher with computers - I never had any formal training and many of the draconian aspects of the computer intimidate me also, but generally you cannot physically damage anything on your computer by reconfiguring your software, so fiddle round with it
    Ta Muchly

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    Originally posted by redwood973
    I wish I know more about computers so that I could do my own repair. Too bad all I know how to do is turn it off and on.
    That is the way I used to be when it came to hardware. Then I started slow adding RAM, the a cd burner, then a hard drive, then a new mother board, then a dvd burner and who knows what next.

If I can do it anyone can.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.