Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Planetary Phaser Batteries

Hmm I think it would rather be an alternate design than an older model as I was thinking more TNG era myself.

To be honest, especially with the addition of that rather large design of Phaser emmitter, there is one problem with the design - the Reactors are quite small relative to the size of the actual emmitter! Having seen that design I was actually going to have 3 rather large fusion reactors because it would need quite a bit of juice, hence it's quite a large emmitter array!

That said I really do like the design
    Ta Muchly

"the Reactors are quite small relative to the size of the actual emmitter!"

"Judge me by my size, do you?" - Jedi Master Yoda

Those would probably only the the tops of the reactor vessels. We also really don't have much idea what the energy density of a 24<sup>th</sup> century fusion reactor is... Heck, they may even be antimatter reactors - a small antimatter reactor could produce a heckuva lot of power.

Well yes it is hard to say exactly what size of reactor they would use, I would say you'd need something allong the size of a Enterprise D reactor - which are 6 meter spheres. Generally speaking Starfleet fusion reactors are spherical, but yes there is nothing to say that there aren't large reactors just beneath the little things just above.

I am not sure that they would use antimatter reactors in underground facilities because if there was an accident BANG you've just levelled a continent.. whereas if you destroy a fusion reactor, other than a nasty explosion it wouldn't be that bad - possibly containable by the solidness of the structure alone.

Something else which isn't accounted for is fuel storage. Yes this kind of facility doesn't routinelly go to warp, so they don't need a 3 billion cubic litre deuterium slush storage facility - but they would need SOME
    Ta Muchly

This is merely the habitable deck area. All fuel tankage would be below the deck level. Remember also that the E-D's reactors are supplying life support for 1000 persons, a 640+ metre shield bubble, etc...

Yes but the reactor still needs to be able to power a Type XI Phaser - hence that HAS to be allot of power !
    Ta Muchly

Very cool work Owen, gee now I have something to put around my ground bases

On ground stuff, I like to work with squares and 45-degree angles more than circles, it is just easier for me I guess. Nevertheless, you do it very well so keep up the great work! Like the flavor text as well, gives a nice overall breakdown. Have you thought about a multiple-emplacement system with interlocking Batteries scattered around a specific area? That way they could share things (like a central command center and power facilities) while still maintaining backups of course for use if the central location gets scratched off the face of the planet.

btw Owen what are you using for the layouts of your pdfs? I have been trying to get a crash education on Quark of late and I am interested in the other types of programs people use.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

I do the document in WordPerfect and export to .PDF using Adobe 4.0. I could probably do a glitzier job using high-end software, but I don't have the $$$ to shell out.

Redwood did the writing - I just tweaked the text a little and reinterpreted the deckplan. You can compare his version and the final version and see just how little I changed text-wise.

Yes, I suspet that there would be multiple emplacements around sensitive areas. In all probability, several would indeed be controlled from a central outpost in peacetime, but would have their own power - you don't want a whole section of your defense net going down if the wrong one gets taken out. Each one would also have the full habitable outpost, even when in slave mode.

I can see a few of these networked together with EPS conduits as being a very sensible plan - redundancy is always a good thing! Having the possiblity of them tied into a local powergrid would also be good in emergency situations, as they could also provide backuyp power for the populace if the primary energy facility is hit - especially as this one is shielded and bunkered.

I'm pleasantly surprised Word Perfect handles vectors so well - and PDF's - Word usually sucks at both! often I am comfortable using Illustrator as that nativelly exports EPS's even if it's not so hot at being fast at typin. I'm just getting into using In Design - which is pretty sweet - if quite in depth !
    Ta Muchly

"I'm pleasantly surprised Word Perfect handles vectors so well - and PDF's - Word usually sucks at both! often I am comfortable using Illustrator as that nativelly exports EPS's even if it's not so hot at being fast at typin. I'm just getting into using In Design - which is pretty sweet - if quite in depth !"

WP has always handled vector images well - its proprietary image format .WPG has both vector and bitmap versions. It handles most image formats, including .DXF and .EPS. I've been using WP for over 15 years, and have always prefered to to Word. It's not perfect, but it is WordPerfect...

I had actaully intended to include something about a "command station" controling a few "sub-stations," but had dropped the idea. I had been thinking each command station controled five sub-stations (arranged in a pentagon around the central located command station).

Each sub-station had bunking for two and basically a very limited C-&-C. . .assuming the stations would only be maned in time of maintenance and overhaul. Should the sub-stations need to take control from the command station the sub-station C-&-C would be adequate to control the sub-station, but only control the entire slaved system at a penalty. (Thinking about that, however, with the redundancy Starfleet perfers. . .perhaps each sub-station would have been able to take over the slaved stations in total without penalty.)

I had also thought about giving some idea of number present, however, that would vary from world to world. . .I would asume a world such as Terra would have several thousand.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Well it's uncertain if they used missile batteries, but the Breen gave Terra an astounding pounding in DS9! I don't recall anything being mentioned about planetary defence phasers being used, just that it was the defence fleets action.

To be honest, I am not sure how much practical use a ground defence phaser is, simply because of the practical limits of firing a particle energy weapon within an atmosphere, and the limited range. In times of an invasion, orbital defence platforms and stations (such as Spacedock, which no doubt is heavilly armed by now!) would form the bulwark of fending off interlopers well before they got close to Earth.. Of course in situations where races use cloaking technology, and they are able to penetrate the upper atmosphere before they open fire, makes it dangerous to back- fire towards the planet (damnit we missed the Klingons... hang on.. that photon torpedo... where did it go..... ok..... wel... i didn't like Paris that much ) In such situations then yes they would be very useful!
    Ta Muchly