Thread: Dedication Plaque Quote

Question Dedication Plaque Quote

So I've decided on the U.S.S Asgard for my defiant class.
    Now for my dedication plaque quote I'm thinking of using:

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds
    -Robert Oppenheimer

My question is this, is it too un-starfleet?

It sounds more like the dedication plaque for a Borg cube!

As Oppenheimer's quote is based an early hindu text, I think it is high brow enough. As to its connotations, well, it was Oppenheimer's way of putting into words the potential horror he could help unleash and a warning to others. So, I think it is a pretty good quote.

On a personal note, we try and have quotes that match the name of the ship. (USS Churchill for example had "Never....was so much owed by so many, to so few)

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

If Starfleet were to use the quote, I would think they would attribute it to the original source, perhaps noting that Oppenheimer quoted it, like: J. Robert Oppenheimer, quoting the Bhagavad-Gita.

On the other tentacle, I personally prefer to link the quote to the ship's name, so for the USS Asgard I would go for a quote from the Norse Eddas or perhaps Stan Lee.

(On a less relevant note, the Churchill quote above reminds me of an old spy novel where the hero has written on the ceiling over his bed another quote from ol' Winnie. "It shall be long, and hard, and there shall be no withdrawal.")

Owen- - That is awesome.- Back to the quote -A good one I think. I like these myself

The casualties of war cannot compare to the casualties of defeat-the Nebula class USS Mountbatten

Freedom is a possession of inestimable value.-the Akira class USS LUMUMBA
    I was born in a camp on Bajor- I joined the Resistance at 12 to fight for my people and my freedom. I joined Starfleet to help KEEP that freedom. As the Prophets will it I shall not fail you, Captain.

Lt.Commander Varin Rel-Former Starfleet Special Operatons officer-now assigned to the USS LUMUMBA-NCC-78245 as CTO.

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    On the other tentacle, I personally prefer to link the quote to the ship's name, so for the USS Asgard I would go for a quote from the Norse Eddas or perhaps Stan Lee .
    'Avengers Assemble'?

I went for:

"Whereas man meet foes in fight, better is stout heart than sharp sword"--Sigurd Sigmundson, Volsunga Saga

And stuck it in the dedication plaque sticky.

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor!" -- Stan Lee, "Journey into Mystery #83"
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook