Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you name your computer?

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

Do you name your computer?

Owen's post in the OS thread got me curious. How many of you name your computers and what have you named them.

I'm not that original, I have:
    1) Joshua - Tower win xp 1.8 gHz 132 GB HDD
    2) Hal 9000 - laptop win ME 833 mHz 20 GB HDD
    3) Alex 7000 - Desktop win 95 466 mHz 15 GB HDD

4) Sal 9000 - External Hard drive 160 GB
    5) WOPR - External Hard drive 40 GB
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

I'm Mac user and a fast food junkie and the icon for my starup disk / hard drive is a hamburger. So, the name of my computer is Big Mac.

And, I don't care if it is in a .sig file or not, the quote, "Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun. is political and needs to go from these boards.
    Last edited by Ezri's Toy; 07-06-2004 at 10:31 PM.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Originally posted by Ezri's Toy
    And, I don't care if it is in a .sig file or not, the quote, "Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun. is political and needs to go from these boards.
    Please take this up through PMs.

Supernova - 2500+ Main Gaming Machine
    Nova - P4 1.6 backup
    Anomaly - Server

Cool

I don't name my PC. It would be pretty difficult to slap it around.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Ok, this is interesting. Are you guys in the habit of naming all your appliances?

For those who aren't into classical mythology, Athena and Minerva are Goddesses of wisdom. My first computer was named Pandora, and was used to run a FIDOnet BBS called Pandora's Box. When it died and was upgraded from a 486 to a Pentium, it was renamed Phoenix. My business partner has a Pentium II 666MHz, named The Great Beast.

I've always been into naming machines which have personalities, especially cars. The VW I had as a teenager was named Adolf. My former roommate has a Pontiac Voyager named V'Ger. Another friend had a 1965 Galaxie 500 we called the Titanic.

Cool

Originally posted by Phantom

Ok, this is interesting. Are you guys in the habit of naming all your appliances?
    Guys aren't the only ones. There are girls who do named their appliances.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

We have two Windows XP Pro Machines at home. The desktop is named Fenris and the notebook is named Odin. (And our dog is named Loki... )

Naming them makes home networking a tiny bit easier.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

My old computer I named my Little Pony. It did the best it could...

My new one I call the Brute, since its the beefiest machine I've ever owned.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

My old 9500 had drives named Sam (2 GB) and Max (1 GB), after the title characters from the comic "Sam & Max: Freelance Police". My current G3 has drives named Behemoth (4 GB), Gogmagog (8 GB), Leviathan (10 GB) and The Beast 666 (40 GB), after a series of monstrous Biblical agents of Armageddon, but I have been toying with changing them to names of entities from Norse myth. All my cars also have had names, but few other of my appliances.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Originally posted by REG
    Guys aren't the only ones. There are girls who do named their appliances.
    My use of "guys" was not gender specific. I just hate using guys/gals, he/she...and I thought someone might get offended if I used "it".

Oh, and to answer the original question. No, I don't name them. At least not beyond "you stupid machine" when something goes awry.

A few years ago at work we had a small network of old (and useless ) machines inhereted from some old tenants - so for fun we networked them all together, to use their collective hard drives and processors for our various tasks, which is more or less where we cut our networking teeth as it were.. I can't actually remember what we called them, but then all had names, most of them silly

On a network it's far easier to give your computers silly names, as it makes it SO much easier to remember which one is which!

My new (ish) computer at work is ironically called Sovereign even through it is not exactly the flagship of the fleet (curse those people in IT with their 18 inch flat pannel displays - DIE DIE ! )

My home computer never had a name as err - well it's not networked
    Ta Muchly

If you don't name it and then try and network it, it's funny. Microsoft decides to name the computer something like "matthew-Y6G8F1V4A4AA" thats exciting bu ti won't be able to remember that.

Hmm I think that's Microsoft code for Mathew - Teriary adjunct of unamatrix zero one

I keep telling people they will try and network up our brains and it's all going to go horribly wrong !

We are the Microsoft Network, you will be assimilated and forced to buy microsoft products, your operating system,memory and CPU will be icorporated into our own. resistance is futile
    Ta Muchly

My PC is called 'JON' on my little two machine network here at home, and the gf's PC is 'JULIE' (See? Who says I have no imagination?).

However, it occasionally gets called 'F*&$%@g piece of Sh1t!' when things are going badly!

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!