Thread: You know Anime?

You know Anime?

I need a list of all the anime anyone can think of that uses cyberpunk type tech or near future tech. Like AD Police (20??), Bubblegum Crisis, Akira, etc... Basically a resource for cool jet fighters, helicopters, tanks, etc...

Stuff that isn't straight out sci-fi, but sort of near future tech.

Thanks in advance

Armitage 3, Evangelion perhaps

Add the various incarnations of Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed. Masamune Shirow is a bit of a tech freak.

Possibly Cowboy Bebop, leaving aside the space stations and warp gates.

Hmm, the only other things I can think of are too far out there timewise, or are pretty much everyday tech with giant robots.

Of course, Castle in the Sky is good if you need some steampunk references...

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

What chris said. Shirow loves tech!!
    I would also suggest Patlabour.

Don't forget about Venus Wars.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Don't forget the zillion incarnations of "Gundam". The best series, both for tank/air warfare as well as for a compelling story, is the original "Mobile Suit Gundam" from 1979.

Those "Macross" movies also revolved around jet combat.

"Gasaraki" might also be worth a look -- it is kind of freaky to watch nowadays, because it came out in 1999 and predicted attacks on US interests and a war in Iraq (of course, they didn't call it Iraq but it was pretty obvious). "Gasaraki" provides, for my money, the most realistic attempt at envisioning mecha battlesuits, their function in combat, and a unit organization for them. Alas, the series itself is basically an "Evangelion"-wannabe with a rather weak and disappointing conclusion.

"Bubblegum Crisis" really is only useful for envisioning a world more-or-less run by androids. The original series is the best in terms of story, though the 1999 re-make has better graphics and a better focus on technology (alas, the final few episodes are very weak). In either version, though, I totally love Nene.
    Scottomir's LOTR Game Resources:
    http://www.geocities.com/scott_metz/

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.
    Cyber City, Oedo 808 is a good little trilogy. Far future stuff, good stories too.

Sundowner
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

A new series was just released in the States called Texhnolyze, mainly dealing with cyborg body modification as far as cyberpunk elements go. Heat Guy J's also a good one.

I second the recommendation for Gasaraki, and not just 'cause I know two of the primary voice actors in it.
    Last edited by Mac417; 07-08-2004 at 09:33 AM.
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind