Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone of you like Dr. Pulaski

Arrow

Originally posted by Phantom

And that is what made her character so damned refreshing. They finally had a real person as a character.
    Don't you mean a "real rednecked American"?

At least she's more real than Trip.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by REG
    Don't you mean a "real rednecked American"?

Ok, I was trying to be a bit more diplomatic. But, yeah.

Cool

Uh-huh.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

I really really liked Pulaski.

Was a shame they didn't stick with her, she could have really grown into something

I liked Pulaski much for the same reasons others liked her; gritty and real. She didn't feel like another "paramount of Goodness" on a starship. Her reaction to Data was also refreshing, that's about the same way I'd act. To me, she was a very realistic portrayal of what humans are like.

I still hate Wesley and always will.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Let me diverge from the subject at hand . . .

Why is it that the Medical Corps in Starfleet had a rate cap of 0-5?
    What was the purpose of that?

Now back to the subject.

I liked Dr. Pulaski, she was different, and for a while it showed that it was OK not to be Federation-PC. But I guess with the changing audiance, such realities where not to be supported until the darker days of DS9.

I was indifferent to the Pulaski character. I didn't like her as much as I liked Crusher, mainly because I thought she was written to be too similar to the McCoy character. Irrasible, bigoted, didn't like the transporter, her character wasn't original and didn't have the advantage of familiarity that DeForrest Kelly had to get away with the crotchety old doctor bit.
    Its a bit harsh to refer to her as "Old" as she wasn't allowed to be a softer character like Crusher was, plus it may just be perspective from my own age, but Kate Muldaur was still attractive for a women in her late fifties. Its not exactly fair to compare her appearance to a woman that was 20 odd years younger. I do have to admit, even though I don't normally care for redheads, I found Gates McFadden to be simply stunning.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Originally posted by Rayaru
    I would strongly disagree with that....
    So would I. Most of the MD's I've encountered don't know enough to be know-it-alls. I think about half the ones I've taken my fiancee to in our quest to treat her chronic migraines couldn't find their butts with both hands and an anatomy text.

Then again, the people who work at her HMO are far less competent.

Regarding Pulaski, I'm pretty indifferent, but I do think that there was a failed attempt to create a McCoy/Spock dynamic between her and Data.

My gf, who is reasonably well-informed on such matters, reports that, apparently, Roddenberry used to refer to Muldar as the "Ice Bitch." FWIW.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by First of Two
    "Ice Bitch."

Got to add that to my vocabulary.

Originally posted by First of Two

My gf, who is reasonably well-informed on such matters, reports that, apparently, Roddenberry used to refer to Muldar as the "Ice Bitch." FWIW.
    Let me guess. It was the studio's decision -- not Roddenberry's -- to hire her as the replacement ship's doctor, right?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

What happened to Gates McFadden in that season anyway? Why did she leave the show and then come back?

Originally posted by Mazza
    What happened to Gates McFadden in that season anyway? Why did she leave the show and then come back?
    Not 100% sure, but I think she took a break from Trek to play Caroline Ryan in Hunt for Red October.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    That role was actually quite small, IIRC. She had a more prominent role (as did John Delancie) in Taking Care of Business, with Jim Belushi.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Didn't she have a baby and take the year off to be with the child?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by redwood973
    Didn't she have a baby and take the year off to be with the child?
    That couldn't be it, since her only child was born in 1991; Season 2 was 1988-89, IIRC.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz