Thread: warp 5 project

warp 5 project

In the begining of the first season of Enterprice there was a lot of talk about new warp 5 engine

so my question is whats the difference between warp 5 engine and engines that came before (and i am not talking about warp 5 engine faster i am talking about the reason its faster)

my original theory is that warp 5 engine isfirst M/AM reactor
    and that everything that came before is fusian reactors

And the reason i want to confirm my theory because i am just sturted making J class freighter deck plans and i dont know what to put in engenearing
    Worf: OW! That does it -- ram the cube.
    Ensign: Wait, here comes the Enterprise!
    Worf: Oo, even better. Ram that instead.
    Ensign: Sir?
    Worf: I don't like Riker much

Personally I would think that it would be the first x:1 matter/anti-matter mix . I would think that m/am mix is needed for FTL flight.
    My old Spaceflight Chronology has the USS Endurance (Mann class) as having the first 1:1 mix, and that was in 2154. It had a top warp speed of 4.5. Of course, this is not a canon book, but the idea is sound.

Just as a matter of interest....when is Enterprise set, as I very rarely watch it?

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

Originally posted by Tas II
    Just as a matter of interest....when is Enterprise set, as I very rarely watch it?
    Enterprise began in 2151, ten years before the founding of the Federation. It appears to have followed a one-year-per-season model since.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    The first season started in April 2151, IIRC, and each season has covered parts of two years (2151-52, 2152-53, 2153-54). So, Season 4 should be 2154-55.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

According to First Contact, the Phoenix uses a M:AM mix technique to achieve warp speed.
    Don't fear the unknown
    Revel in it.
    Vinush
    Y2K

can u tell me where in the movie it was mentioned?

It's when Reg comes over with the tubing.

I'm pretty sure he says it's something to do with the matter:anti-matter mix...

Could be wrong, I'll check in the morning.

Vince.
    Don't fear the unknown
    Revel in it.
    Vinush
    Y2K

This is a fairly tough cookie to crack as none of the technobabble on Enteprise is the same as it is on TOS or TNG era's other than to say it has antimatter to fuel their warp drive.

I can't recall if they've ever used Dilithium Crystals on the NX-01 - even in TOS they were rare and many did not posses them, so there's a chance that they don't use them way back then.. They have been stated to not exist on or near SOL and Humanity hasn't travelled that far so it's likelly they don't have them yet, and it could explain why their ships have yet to get very fast:

Even back in the Phoenix's day and age production and use of antimatter for the purposes of sudden energy bursts suitable for the production of overlapping subspace fields (I.e. high energy output) was quite possible. Even today scientists have devised (very recently) a way of massivelly accelerating the production of antimatter, which a few years ago was deemed impossible (though we are still talking VERY small amounts here!)

Technical sources have pointed to the problem in pre Dilithium warp cores is it was very hard to focus and controll the reaction. Anyone can make a big bang... but how do you get that energy to go down a conduit.

The NX engine may represent a means of bypassing this want (they may have even not realised that's how Vulcans did it - if they do!) using a new and revolutionary technology.. which works similarly to dilithium.. a constuct matrix of and advanced material, which is designed to be porus to antimatter by generating magnetic fields.. alowing the focus of the antimatter stream..

Perhaps then later a discovery is made that Dilithium, a naturally occuring subspance elsewhere, is capable of the same feat only much better, leading to a new age of much faster ships?
    Ta Muchly

well my theary is that they began with fusion reactors, got out of solar system, found dylithium and swichet fusion warp cores to M/AM

and as far as ENT never mentioned dylithium it doesnt mean that its not there, TNG and other eries havent mentioned dylithium wery often

Just watched the relevant section of First Contact, and it was for the warp plasma conduit that they were using the copper tubing.

However, Geordie did reconstruct the intermix chamber, which is an integral part of the M/AM system, so we could theorise that they did use M/AM in earlier warp engines.

Therefore, going along with that theory, we could also postulate that the Warp 5 project could be the first ship to use Dilithium to focus the reaction, rather than whatever they use in the NX Enterprise.
    Don't fear the unknown
    Revel in it.
    Vinush
    Y2K

ok if u havent heared

tis site is clsing and we have a new home
    more info in here
    http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread.php?threadid=10842