Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brent Spiner (Data) will appear on ENT

Brent Spiner (Data) will appear on ENT

TrekToday article

The actor, who will reportedly appear without make-up, won't be playing his most familiar character, the android Data, but the grandfather of Data's creator, Dr. Noonien Soong. Soong appeared in the fourth-season Next Generation episode, "Brothers", in which Spiner pulled triple-duty, playing Data, his brother Lore, and Soong.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Cool. Brent Spiner is awesome, I'm sure he'll bring a lot to that episode.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Although it's fairly likely I won't see the actual episode, this seems like something Spiner would be able to have some fun with - get to do something a little different than what he was saddled with for the last fifteen years, and maybe even play up on some of the cliches that Data became noted for over during his existance. "Of course I always speak without contractions; keeps my speech sounding formal and gives people the feeling they've got to treat me with a little more dignity, dagnabbit!"

Here we go again! And I am supposing that the great grandfather of Noonian Soong also liked to tinker with Androids ? *groan*

Well we shall see who else turns up, maybe Worf's great great grandfather?

Actually, plausably, Guinan could easilly turn up, which could make for some interesting stories based on the whole temporal cold war thing (with her heightened time sense etc).

But no, that would be too.. realistic.. instead it will probably be the Troi and Barklay show
    Ta Muchly

Hey I'd love to see the ancestors of the crews from any of the other shows.

It's interesting you mention Worf's grandfather... while it may be hard to come up with an excuse to show him (although not really; just throw him on a ship and have the Ent run into it), it may not be impossible for one of the Rozhenko descendants to show up.

And while that would be cool too, I'll return to the topic of this thread by re-stating that I feel Brent Spiner in particular is good for this type of role. I think this will be a good episode.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Originally posted by Rayaru

It's interesting you mention Worf's grandfather...
    I might be wrong, but I believe that it is generally accepted that the defendant of Kirk and McCoy during ST VI was the father of Mogh, Worf's father.
    It seems to me that Brent Spiner was the second choice, after William fucking Shatner () didn't want to play Kirk's grandfather. I am sure they'll be able to come up with a good episode, anyway. My only fear is that they might not stop with the Noonians, but try to introduce other families as well. (Hey, we're in 1944 France, guess who's leading the Resistance? )

Language Timothy !

yes, though I don't believe it's been quoted in the show it's generally regarded that the guy played by Michael Dorn in ST Vi was supposed to be Worfs granda.

I'm thinking didn't they already do the French resistance ?! (Of course it was a holoprograme) Of course it would be infeasable to have French resistance in San Fransisco, but then.. i might be a wierd alternate past timeline. Who knows!?
    Ta Muchly

I very much fear that I hear <a href="http://www.jumptheshark.com/">a motorcycle revving in the distance</a>.

#1 Spiner on ENT? good, maybe ENT will get a pickup, hopefully a good story to go with his appearance and I have generally liked his acting.

#2 Is ENT Jumping the Shark? Wish I had a buck for every time somebody has declared this pig dead, or about-to-be washed up, or whatever.

I don't think of it as my all-time favorite or anything, I see those little piggy ears and that little corkscrew tail even when it gets into a frilly dress, but this sow has 9 lives to hear tell from the peanut gallery.

My appreciation for TOS is about 80% nostalgia ("Omega Glory" anyone?) I for one am unimpressed with the first few seasons of NG for the most part (with individual exceptions like "Measure of a Man"), Voyager had a few good episodes punctuated by drivel, as for DS9 I am enjoying many of them as I missed it almost entirely the first time around.

ENT has some good solid shows (kind of like Voyager but slightly more consistent) I am not enamored of the directions it has taken in the arc plot but that can happen with the best of shows (Farscape lost me that way despite the good dialogue and other positive elements, some friends felt alienated by the Dominion War plotline in DS9 etc. etc.). Some of ENT has been good, I hope it does better overall and I will not anticipate its collapse before it actually goes down.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

I actually liked the developments of the third season, because the stories grabbed your attention more. And there was some decent characterization going on, too.

I'm not denying there were stinker episodes in the other series, either.

What I'm opining is that when "stunts" are pulled to garner ratings, it's often an indicator that *even the producers* have lost enthusiasm. Once that happens, get out the motorcycle and the ramp ladies and gentlemen, 'cause she's a-goin'...

Which is fine Fesarius, at some point you gotta admit that the pig has gone to that big slaughterhouse in the sky. But would you have said the same when Nimoy appeared as Spock in NG? Not for one episode either but a 2-parter no less. (Note I'm not including Bones on the premier, that was to demonstarte linkage and have an "aw shucks" moment), Or Sarek? Or when they had Troi and Barkley on Voyager (some of those were actually good episodes in that series)? Or when DS9 did the Trouble with Tribbles episode? Or when Melvin Belli showed up on TOS? That tactic hits each one of the earlier series.

I don't know if I think of Spiner appearing as a "stunt" I guess. Fear Factor: Enterprise is a stunt, Survivor: Enterprise is another. But until they show up (in the show) as the center square I'd just hold off on setting up those ramps.

EDIT: But keep in mind that this is JUST ME I am talking about. After looking at that first post it appeared far more absolute-like than I had meant. That is exactly my problem with the nay-saying in general, it always sounds like the franchise is dead because they think it will be dead. If you think they are jumping the shark that is entirely your opinion and therefore fine; more power to you. All I am saying is that I am reserving my judgement for the time being until I see something that I consider a "stunt".
    Last edited by Publius; 07-13-2004 at 08:03 PM.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Cool

Originally posted by Tobian

Here we go again! And I am supposing that the great grandfather of Noonian Soong also liked to tinker with Androids ? *groan*
    Well, he will tinker something.

He'll portray the first human host at Rigel 9.

* cue "It's Raining Men" music *

Honestly, Brent's best acting performances were in Night Court. Funny thing, that's where we also got a Klingon (John Larroquette) and a Bajoran (Nana Visitor) characters.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

My plan, as always, is to begin watching the show. If it stinks, I'm gone; if it's good, I stick around. It gets a more leeway for being Trek than other shows might, but this is basically my rule of thumb.

You raise a good point, Publius, because I *don't* recall feeling this way when either Spock or Scotty were brought onto TNG, or when Barclay or Troi were brought onto Voyager -- and I can't explain why, exactly.

I'm holding out hope for this season because of certain things: (1) third season was better than either of the first two, overall, (2) rumors that Braga will have less of a role in operations, (3) rumors that the TCW will be resolved once and for all, which would leave subsequent series (if any) free to explore elements that I feel are more appropriate, like the formation of the Federation and perhaps events of the Romulan Wars (although most of that seems to be reserved for an upcoming prequel film).

Originally posted by Publius
    Survivor: Enterprise
    "Aam votin' off T'Pol; I ain't comfortable being touched in private places while I'm in public places."
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Originally posted by Fesarius
    ...I *don't* recall feeling this way when either Spock or Scotty were brought onto TNG, or when Barclay or Troi were brought onto Voyager -- and I can't explain why, exactly.
    A very nice articulation of something that'd been niggling me in the back of my head on this one for the last while, Fesarius. I thought about it for a bit after reading your post, and I think there are a couple of reasons why this kind of reaction might occur.

First is one of context: In TNG, Len Nimoy and James Doohan were portraying the same characters as on TOS. We knew what to expect, what to deem in/out of character for them, and when they might have crossed the line. Here, Brent Spiner will be portraying someone who bears only the most tenuous realistic bonds to Data; third cousin four times removed.

Second is continuity: TNG and TOS shared a direct link, despite the three-quarter century break; ENT is completely disconnected from the other four live-action series, and puts us in a bit of a vacuum when it comes to how to interpret a guest star portraying someone we have no previous acquaintance with.

Third is uncertainty: ENT, at least from what I've been told and read, has been a real mixed bag up until this point. Will the show be any damn good? With TNG we at least had some indications of consistent quality - ENT has been going up and down like a toilet seat (more down than up, at least from how I've been informed, anyway), and there's no way to know if we're going to be watching something where we're cringing and looking at the screen through squinted eyes most of the time.

That's all for now. Don't know if this'll ring true for anyone or if it's just meaningless ramblings.