Thread: Westworld remake?

Westworld remake?

"Their premise expands the the world of the film from that of a robot-populated western theme park to one featuring more fantasy realms."

Then maybe they oughta actually watch the original, since they clearly have no frickin' idea what the hell they're talking about. The original had three different "fantasy realms" as they so quaintly put it. Jeez, I hate these bloody reimaginings that are done by sphincter-boys who are totally unfamiliar with the usually superior originals.

But I'm not bitter...

Gotta agree the big one hundred with Owen. Gawd, how tiring it's getting, Hollywood being reduced to strip-mining itself - sort of like autocannibalism, when you think about it - in order to try to turn a profit. The current movie season, Fahrenheit 9/11 aside, has been one of the most lacklustre I can recall in recent years.

Nobody, fricking nobody, is going to beat Yul Brynner (and he really was the Man With No Name!) intoning "Draw. Draw," to Benjamin Richards. Makes me want to go down to Rogers and pick up the original again tonight, just so I can see what real filmmaking is all about...

I agree.

Ceterum censeo, Hollywood delenda est.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    Originally posted by D.S.McBride
    The current movie season, Fahrenheit 9/11 aside, has been one of the most lacklustre I can recall in recent years.
    Hmmmmmmm, how to respond?

How about:

Um question... just being devil's advocate here, but how is it fair that anyone can post praise of Reagen but if someone were to post non-praise to counter it, it would become a political disscussion?
    Just substitute one word.

I have no real desire to debate this. Just pointing out something that someone will probably deam to be political!
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

I'm mostly onboard with the whole "Did the guys 'reinventing' it even see the original?' sentiment.

Stepford Wives Originally a dark, socially commentating Horror-ish film

Now, it's a PG-13 Campy Comedy.

Starsky and Hutch, a serious (for it's day) Cop Show

Now, it too is a PG-13 Comedy (and not a good one)

Dawn Of the Dead, a Horror movie with a touch of social commentary

Now a speed demon gorefest.

Then there is the Machurian Candidate, Planet of the Apes.

Originally posted by Tricky

Then there is the Machurian Candidate,

Actually of all of them this one I would reserve judgment for till I see it as it seems to have been done in the true sense of an updated remake and not a reimagining, though it is hard to see the 1st Gulf War inspiring the same type of tense dark Psychological political background that the Korean war and start of the Cold War inspired.
    Draftsmen in Training

This one is so far out of the park logicwise that they couldn't even use the title without having to come up with a silly explanation... "Manchurian Corporation?" Come on...

Westworld
    Any idea for casting from you guys- Who would make a good gunfighter in the Yul role since Arnold can't do it. Clint Eastwood is too old-Bruce Willis maybe.
    I was born in a camp on Bajor- I joined the Resistance at 12 to fight for my people and my freedom. I joined Starfleet to help KEEP that freedom. As the Prophets will it I shall not fail you, Captain.

Lt.Commander Varin Rel-Former Starfleet Special Operatons officer-now assigned to the USS LUMUMBA-NCC-78245 as CTO.

Well, since the thread is overwhelmingly against the whole idea of a remake, the only answer you're likely to get is - nobody. Yul Brynner was the gunslinger robot. Accept no substitutes.