Thread: Star Trek Bozed Sets

Star Trek Boxed Sets

I've finally decided to get one of the boxed sets from the many Star Trek seasons that are out now. But, I want some help from those who have some of them.

I remember most if not all of the episodes of TOS and TNG. A good portion of DS9 and I'd like to forget a handful from VOY. I'm just worried that some of what I remember is tainted by the age I was at...I liked the Smurfs at one point so I think I had a rosie picture of what Trek was then.

So I ask those who have some (or all...you loonies ) of the boxed sets; which was best? I don't much care for hard pounding action or space combat. More interested in good stories.

I await your thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Lt.Khrys Antos; 07-17-2004 at 06:42 AM.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

TOS always had the best stories in my opinion, although TNG is a close second. I thought Voyager was forgettable and watched Babylon 5 over DS9.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

I have to kindly disagree with Raconteur. DS9 had the consistently better storyline and character development. The sterile environment of the Enterprise-D and her generally wooden characters were, IMO, overshadowed by the depth of the DS9 storylines and the extensive work on the characters.

Every season of DS9 had standout episodes. It took the series a couple seasons to really hit its stride, but I think it's well worth the time and money to check it out.

I was always of the opinion that DS9 was hands down the best of the TNG era. TOS was a different animal and I did enjoy it, but DS9 is still my favorite. TNG really bit the big one for the first two seasons and then finally started to become enjoyable and by the end of the series had become quite good. However, those first two seasons really really sucked.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

TNG did have a rocky start. Though I found the latter episodes pretty good. The thing with DS9 was that I didn't really get into it until the 2nd season. The first season was kind of bland, more of the same and I didn't feel as if it would break out (turns out I was wrong).

Which DS9 season was better than the rest?
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."

My opinions... DS9 got to be quite amazing, especially with regard to the later seasons, when various plot threads started getting tied together - especially season 5. The problem with DS9 though is it is awfully tightly linked, such that it's a little tough to pop a random episode in.

TNG... What I found is earlier episodes have aged quite a bit. Season 1 and 2 definitely scream 80's, in much the way TOS screams 60's. The earlier episodes were a little awkward at times, though there are some good ones. However, I am impressed by how well the peak seasons (say 3-5) have aged - there were some remarkable stories in TNG which have aged rather well. While I like DS9 more, I would say it is probably easier to pop a random episode of TNG in the DVD player.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Aye that's why I don't really like the first 2 seasons of TNG.

I'm leaning towards season 5 of DS9 or season 3-4 of TNG. Not sure yet, still checking out TOS, but that's becoming less and less interesting as a buy.

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Originally posted by Dan Stack
    My opinions... DS9 got to be quite amazing, especially with regard to the later seasons, when various plot threads started getting tied together - especially season 5. The problem with DS9 though is it is awfully tightly linked, such that it's a little tough to pop a random episode in.

TNG... What I found is earlier episodes have aged quite a bit. Season 1 and 2 definitely scream 80's, in much the way TOS screams 60's. The earlier episodes were a little awkward at times, though there are some good ones. However, I am impressed by how well the peak seasons (say 3-5) have aged - there were some remarkable stories in TNG which have aged rather well. While I like DS9 more, I would say it is probably easier to pop a random episode of TNG in the DVD player.
    I totally agree with what Dan said, Lt. Khrys. I found both TNG and later seasons of DS9 very compelling; they each tell a number of great stories, but they are very different in theme. You should be advised, while DS9 does manage to tell a lot of great stories, a good deal of these great stories are mixed with space battles and combat, which you mentioned you're not so much into. And, like Dan says, DS9 tells a single, over-arching storyline, and it's difficult to just pick up with a random season and successfully immerse yourself in it without knowing what's come before.

The Dominion and Jem'Hadar first see mention in Season 2, but most of that season has little to do with the coming storyline. But the seeds of it are laid here. So keep that in mind if you do pick up anything from DS9. You might decide to forgo picking up season 2 and focus on the later seasons where the Dominion War storyline is more cohesive, and simply check out prior episode summaries on tvtome.com or in the ST Encyclopedia.

Also, you should know that TNG and DS9 have been running in Syndication on SpikeTV. Check your local listings or program your TiVO (if you have one...I don't )...a lot cheaper than buying a DVD set, but not nearly as stylish!

I think TNG was, for the most part, strong from Season 3 on. "Darmok" is one of the best episodes ever written for any Trek, IMHO and that was a season 5 ep, followed by the introduction of one of the best Trek characters ever written (again, IMO), in "Ensign Ro."

If I had to suggest a single season from either show, I'd say, DS9 season 3 or TNG season 5. Expensive, though. That's the reason why I'm content to watch them in syndication...!

Hope this has helped.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Originally posted by Ineti
    I have to kindly disagree with Raconteur.
    I cannot comment on DS9 because, as I said, I watched Babylon 5 instead. I was merely expressing opinion based on what I had actually seen.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Originally posted by strict31
    I totally agree with what Dan said, Lt. Khrys. I found both TNG and later seasons of DS9 very compelling; they each tell a number of great stories, but they are very different in theme. You should be advised, while DS9 does manage to tell a lot of great stories, a good deal of these great stories are mixed with space battles and combat, which you mentioned you're not so much into. And, like Dan says, DS9 tells a single, over-arching storyline, and it's difficult to just pick up with a random season and successfully immerse yourself in it without knowing what's come before.

The Dominion and Jem'Hadar first see mention in Season 2, but most of that season has little to do with the coming storyline. But the seeds of it are laid here. So keep that in mind if you do pick up anything from DS9. You might decide to forgo picking up season 2 and focus on the later seasons where the Dominion War storyline is more cohesive, and simply check out prior episode summaries on tvtome.com or in the ST Encyclopedia.

Also, you should know that TNG and DS9 have been running in Syndication on SpikeTV. Check your local listings or program your TiVO (if you have one...I don't )...a lot cheaper than buying a DVD set, but not nearly as stylish!

I think TNG was, for the most part, strong from Season 3 on. "Darmok" is one of the best episodes ever written for any Trek, IMHO and that was a season 5 ep, followed by the introduction of one of the best Trek characters ever written (again, IMO), in "Ensign Ro."

If I had to suggest a single season from either show, I'd say, DS9 season 3 or TNG season 5. Expensive, though. That's the reason why I'm content to watch them in syndication...!

Hope this has helped.

Strictly Speaking
    Well I can't get cable since my work makes me travel alot to places I don't want to go, hence getting cable or anything else that I need to pay monthly a complete waste.

The 4th season of TNG has some episodes I really liked such as Clues and Future Imperfect. The Mind's Eye episode was also one I liked. Season 5 of DS9 had my all-time favorite episode Trials and Tribble-ations and another one I really liked; By Inferno's Light. I don't mind a mix of action, but not scene after scene of combat. Cost is also not an issue since I received a substantial amount of danger pay from my trip to Morocco and Jordan.

Basically I'm going to look between TNG seasons 3-5 and DS9 seasons 3 or 5.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Arrow

Originally posted by RaconteurX

I cannot comment on DS9 because, as I said, I watched Babylon 5 instead. I was merely expressing opinion based on what I had actually seen.
    I have the luxury of watching both B5 and DS9 back-to-back (occupying the 7-9pm timeslot) on a Sunday night, since there is nothing else interesting in the other channels.

Both have pros and cons. For example, if you miss one episode of B5 it may take you awhile to get back on track. DS9 have gotten better when they focus on the Dominion War and the many aspects of war theme in general (Nog lost his leg, Jake's experience in the front line, etc.).
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Man, when B5 was first run, the local networks truly pissed my young ass off. They kept putting it on later and later, and there were many times when they'd just forget to air it. The Strict entered many killing rages in those days. To me, B5 and Ds9 were very similar. Aside from the station aspects of both shows, they also both had fairly crappy first seasons, and both got much, much better.

The first season of DS9 utterly killed my mother's interest in Trek. and she had watched TOS when it was first run. She love TNG (I think if she hadn't thought it would be so geeky a thing to do, she would have redesigned the living room with the same design style of the 1701-D bridge!). 1st season DS9 nearly killed my love of Trek too. As much as I have bashed Enterprise, you folks would be surprised to hear the foul acidic bile I spewed about 1st season DS9...and I really, really REALLY wanted to like DS9. It was my sincerest hope that Voyager would end up improving as DS9 had, but there was really only one season that I liked, immediately after Jeri taylor stepped down, I think. I hated what she did with that show.

What was with the Kazon and their crazy hair? Best way to defeat them was to load the photon torpedoes with Aquanet. "Now our hair is smooth and silky! Thank you, Janeway!"

B5, TNG and DS9 really had a lot of great episodes though. Simple as that. Good times.

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Arrow

Personally, the 1st and 2nd seasons of DS9 wasn't that bad. I like the conflicts arise from Bajor, Cardassia, and the Federation whom they grudgingly agreed to take jurisdiction of the space there. I like the conflict between Commander Sisko and Major Kira (THAT was missing from VOY between Janeway and Chakotay). IOW, they didn't start all goody-goody, lovey-lovey like the previously sugar-coated TNG and TOS. So it was very different.

Most importantly, it's a very different stage: a station instead of a ship.

Still, the Federation is a bit clean, but later on we've seen what Sisko is willing to do and DS9 did bring out Section 31.

It wasn't all that bad. Just different from the previously known Star Trek.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer