Thread: King Hussein on Star Trek?

King Hussein on Star Trek?

Is it true the Jordanian King, King Hussein, appeared on Star Trek: Voyager? and what was his role?
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Neither the IMDb nor TVTome has anything about this, so either it's not true, his appearance was uncredited, or he appeared under a pseudonym.

King of Jordan

It was his son, King Abdullah who was on the show-he and his father were and are big Trek fans but he was not YET King. I think it was a quick one line cameo; I have to check for sure; he wasn't there for very long.

Found IT!-

Jordan's new ruler King Abdullah has been revealed as an avid fan of the science fiction show Star Trek.

The king, who succeeded his father King Hussein after his death on Monday, even had his aides arrange for him to make a cameo appearance in Star Trek: Voyager in 1995.

The then-Prince Abdullah bin Hussein got on so well with the show's stars Ethan Phillips and Robert Picado he invited them to visit him in Jordan.

When they arrived, they were delighted to find their host had not only arranged tours of the country's historical monuments, he had also laid on a mini-convention of the programme's fans.

Phillips recalled: "He's just about the friendliest, easy-going guy. Very engaging, very warm."

The Voyager esp is Investigations-He is uncredited.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/277584.stm
    Last edited by varin; 07-21-2004 at 06:37 PM.
    I was born in a camp on Bajor- I joined the Resistance at 12 to fight for my people and my freedom. I joined Starfleet to help KEEP that freedom. As the Prophets will it I shall not fail you, Captain.

Lt.Commander Varin Rel-Former Starfleet Special Operatons officer-now assigned to the USS LUMUMBA-NCC-78245 as CTO.

interesting.. why was he uncredited?
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Because he was a NDE (no-dialogue-extra) walk-on.

Then-Prince Abdullah (BTW, his father was King Hussein - he's King Abdullah searches won't work if you use the wrong name...) appeared in Investigations. Here's the TV Tome entry:
    ---------------------------------------------
    36. Investigations
    gs: Martha Hackett (Seska) Jerry Sroka (Laxeth) Raphael Sbarge (Michael Jonas) Simon Billig (Hogan) Crown Prince Abdullah of Jordan (Science Officer (uncredited))

Stardate: 49485.2

After weeks of erratic behavior, Tom Paris leaves Voyager and joins a Talaxian convoy.

b: 13-Mar-1996 pc: 135 w: Jeri Taylor s: Jeff Schnaufer and Ed Bond d: Les Landau

NOTE: Crown Prince Abdullah of Jordan appears in this episode, but has no lines due to the fact he is not a member of the Screen Actor's Gill.(sic)
    ------------------------------------------

The entry is incorrect in a couple of places - Prince Abdullah was not Crown Prince at the time, just one of several princes, and not considered a strong contender for the throne. His father King Hussein did not name an heir until shortly before his death. His non-dialogue status and lack of screen credit had nothing to do with his not being a member of the Screen Actor's Guild - neither is Stephen Hawking.

Here's where you can spot him.

In the episode Investigations, at 2 min 45 sec into the teaser, Neelix meets Harry Kim in the corridor. The dark-haired Science officer talking to Harry is the prince.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Just another neat tidbit, King Abdullah is also a graduate of the Naval Postgraduate School, where I work. Not many places can say they have a sitting monarch as one of their alums.
    Last edited by Sea Tyger; 07-25-2004 at 11:15 AM.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I don't recall him saying anything. I think it was Chakotay who came across his character in the corridor and Chakotay said something to him but he didn't really say anything back. Maybe he did say something, I haven't seen that episode in a long time.
    "Get a life will you people? I mean, for crying out loud it's just a TV show! I mean look at you, look at the way you're dressed. You've turned an enjoyable little job that I did as a lark for a few years into a colossal waste of time. I mean how old are you people, what have you done with yourselves. You, you must be almost 30, have you ever kissed a girl?" - William Shatner on SNL

See my message above. Trust me, I checked the tape.