Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coto Speaks! (Spoilers Abound!)

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    It's also quite possible that 22nd Century historians have a different view of what constituted the "Eugenics Wars" than the 23rd Century and later historians.
    True. It's not like historians today are always right. Especially given the fragmentary history of the time (The Eugenics Wars). It's like historians today trying to piece together exact deatils of the Early Dark Ages, there are always some holes that don't get filled.

Arrow

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's great and all. But first thing's first: Conclude Braga-tainted TCW arc.

The sooner you can do that, the sooner we can talk shop, Coto.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

If it will get rid of all the B&B trash, I'm all for hitting the "cosmic re set button" in that case.

Then we can move on to some real talent.

The Seventh Most Dangerous City in the USA
    Originally posted by Phantom
    I don't really see a problem. First, Khan was only one of many Supermen who lead forces in the Eugenics Wars, he wasn't the over all leader. Second, just because Khan fled in 1996 doesn't mean that others did as well, the conflict could easily have over flowed into the 21stC...We're talking only 4 years here. There were probably residual conflicts going on for years.
    True enough. But, Khan did rule nearly a quarter of the earth. He may have only been one of many supermen, but ruling a quarter of the earth makes him rather a significant character. And while there probably were other warlords after Khan fled, he was described as the last of the tyrants. This assumes those who came after him, whose stories may be unknown to us, the audience, were not significant in power or impact.

But I agree with you; in the power vacuum created by Khan's absence, there could easily be decades of minor wars and related conflicts raging sporadically throughout the time period, many of which historians would probably disagree on as far as impact and consistency. Perhaps vassals under Khan, or generals and rivals, without Khan's charisma and intellect, but with all of his ambition and ego; incapable of creating the same (albeit shortlived) empire, but trying their ham-fisted best none-the-less. Such conflicts could easily spread across the decades, but would not necessarily be related, by historians, to the greater war. I could easily see that.

Hell, history may call it a police action, but those involved are probably quite comfortable calling it a war....

Strictly Speaking
    "When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha."

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by REG
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's great and all. But first thing's first: Conclude Braga-tainted TCW arc.

The sooner you can do that, the sooner we can talk shop, Coto.
    I read part of a Coto interview on the UK site DigtalSpy that the TCW will be wrapping up very quickly at the beginning of the season.

Viewers not so pleased with the underlying temporal cold war storyline in the first three seasons may be interested to know that the current plan is for all that to be wrapped up by the second episode of season four.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by strict31
    True enough. But, Khan did rule nearly a quarter of the earth. He may have only been one of many supermen, but ruling a quarter of the earth makes him rather a significant character. And while there probably were other warlords after Khan fled, he was described as the last of the tyrants. This assumes those who came after him, whose stories may be unknown to us, the audience, were not significant in power or impact.

He ruled over a 1/4 of the planet? Was that offically said? I know he ruled a vast chunk of real estate, but I hadn't thought he was that powerful.

Yes, it was explicitly stated. During his briefing on Khan, Spock stated "..absolute ruler of a quarter of the Earth.."
    My take on the Eugenics Wars is to simply move them to the mid 21st century and assume that the 1996 statement from "Space Seed" was in error. I always loved that ep as a kid, but the way the Wars were described in that ep "..whole populations bombed out of existance.." could not have happened secretly (much as I enjoyed Greg Cox's Eugenics Wars books).
    For my campaign I simply change the date and go with it. I borrow a bit from "Federation", such as the Optimum movement and figure the Eugenics Wars created the chaos which enabled such a movement to thrive.
    Besides, the Botany Bay is way beyond the tech available. The mid 21st century makes more sense.
    Much as I love the original series, some of it doesn't hold up well to the passing of time. And, since it is a work of fiction, I have no qualms about adjusting the facts if they don't fit.
    Yeah, it would have been nice if they had picked a date further in the future. But I don't think they figured anyone would be worried about their story in thirty years... surprise!
    4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
    Evil Overlords Survival Guide

There are few problems in the galaxy which cannot be solved by a suitable application of concentrated phaser fire.
    Capt. Coryn Windsabre

I've always preferred photons myself.
    Cmdr. Marcus Aurelius Ferretti

Given the timeframe, I fail to see why the Eugenics Wars cannot be considered part of World War III. The former could have been the spark which ignited the latter in full, making Khan's exodus all the more logical.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Could they be talking about Col. Green's little war mentioned in "The Savage Curtain".It was never specified when it actually happened.

Originally posted by Sea Tyger

I read part of a Coto interview on the UK site DigtalSpy that the TCW will be wrapping up very quickly at the beginning of the season.
    Cool. Now all we need is a symbolic end. Have a "redshirt" character whose name is Braga getting killed during the conclusion of TCW arc.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer