Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aurelian write-up?

Aurelian write-up?

Anyone have this?

Do you mean El-Aurian, as in Guinan's and Tolian Soran's (the baddie from Generations) species?

Anyone care to help him?
    Insurance is like marriage. You pay and pay but you never get anything back. - Al Bundy

I am interested in this too. They are such an old race, I'd like to have help coming up with what year the got warp drive, how their government was run, etc. and I am sure they were probably more technically advanced then the Federation

I think they mean the bird-like guy from TAS.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Originally posted by redwood973
    I think they mean the bird-like guy from TAS.
    If you mean the episode "Jihad", his name was Tcharr, and his people were called the Skorr.

The only names like this I can think of are Aurelan Kirk, Jim Kirk's sister-in-law who died on Deneva, and the El-Aurians. I'm guessing it's the latter.

For CODA, they appear in Aliens (p. 63), and despite the fact that Decipher has effectively ceased producing the Star Trek RPG, I'm disinclined to violate their copyright by posting that write-up here. If they were written up for ICON, I am not aware of where that might be found.

A few of the high points:

Their homeworld was destroyed (not assimilated) by the Borg sometime in the 23rd century. The survivors fled in all directions.

They are extraordinarily long lived. We have seen that Guinan was alive at least as long ago as late in Samuel Clemens life ("Time's Arrow") and that she was an adult. Since she was concerned that her father might have sent the members of the Enterprise crew after her, we may assume she was a young adult at that point, sometime in the late 1800's. In the 24th century, Picard's time, she is substantially unchanged physically, but is certainly more experienced and wiser - perhaps the equivalent of her 40's. This would suggest that a decade to a human is around 250 years to an El Aurian, and would give them a lifespan on the order of 2500 years, more or less. Their nomadic existence and lack of a strong support network (such as a planetary or multi-racial government) would tend to lower this somewhat, so if you wanted a nice round figure, say 2000 years. The "Aliens" supplement gives a much lower figure.

They have the ability to sense alterations in time, but the degree to which they can do this was never made precisely clear. Also, their sense is not exact; they don't know how time is supposed to be, only that it's "wrong". Find a copy of "Yesterday's Enterprise" for the only canon example of this I'm aware of.

Guinan, at least, had some history with Q, and was far less intimidated by him that perhaps one might expect. Whether this has any significance is unclear.

Physically, I'd put them as very similar to humans. As far as we know, they are morphologically identical (although there's no knowing for sure what's under those flowing robes ). Given their propensity for listening and helping, I'd give them a boost to presence and maybe a decrease to one of the physical skills, like agility. But you could as easily say they're similar enough to humans to merit no particular bonuses.

Given their lifespan, most El Aurians either experienced the destruction of their homeworld, or have a close friend who did. Consider how that might affect them psychologically.

Also given their lifespan, the smartest of them could have amassed a treasure trove of knowledge, skill, and wealth. See "Requiem For Methuselah" for an example of what an immortal was able to accomplish -- although Flint is considerably older than the oldest El Aurians, you can get some ideas, at least.

Those are just some ideas off the top of my head. Hope they help.

it's also worth noting that due to the location of their homeworld they must have possessed some significantly fast warp drive to travel to Earth and back. Yes El-Aurians live a long time, but I can't see Guinan sitting on a shuttle for 60 years for a daytrip to Earth.. How they do this is of course a matter of debate, but their long life spans, lack of fear of the Q, fast warp drive and the fact the Borg Destroyed their world points to them being significantly advanced technologically. Of course this may have been list in the mists of time like most of their culture.... I own a computer.. Dump me in the 13th century or a desert island and it's not like I am going to build one is it!
    Ta Muchly

There are some interesting tidbits about El-Aurians' sense of time (and a story about an El-Aurian temporal investigations agent) in the ICON All Our Yesterdays supplement.
    Insurance is like marriage. You pay and pay but you never get anything back. - Al Bundy

Sorry, I have only seen the one TAS show so I assumed there was only one "bird-man." I (and they) seem to be refering to the tall "bird-man" that was part of the Federation historical mission to the "Guardian of Forever" from the show "Yesteryear."
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Originally posted by redwood973
    Sorry, I have only seen the one TAS show so I assumed there was only one "bird-man." I (and they) seem to be refering to the tall "bird-man" that was part of the Federation historical mission to the "Guardian of Forever" from the show "Yesteryear."
    I'm not certain, because to the best of my knowledge he was never identified. But he's drawn the same way as the Skorr character, Tcharr, from "Jihad". It is at least possible that he is of that race, unless you remember better than I, and know how he was identified.

I can't recall the character ever being refered to by name or speices. . .everyone else says he's Aurelian, I just assume they know what they are talking about.

From the Galactopedia

From the Titan Fleet Yards
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

I see where both sources make this claim, but they don't say what their source of information is. That doesn't mean they're wrong, only that they can't be verified. Inasmuch as one of them could have copied the other, without some kind of reference, it's hard for me to be sure.

There is, of course, no certainty that this alien and Tcharr, from Jihad, are of the same species despite the similar artwork; animated art is necessarily somewhat simplistic, and two similar species could easily be confused.

As well, these sources don't contain a number of entries that should be present if information from Jihad had been entered into their files: Vedala, Vedala asteroid, Tcharr, Skorr, Elarr, Soul of Elarr, and M3Green just off the top of my head. This makes me wonder how complete these sources actually are.

All that to say "It's impossible to be sure."

It's The Bird Guy

I remember someone saying he was also listed in the old "Worlds of the Federation" by Shane Johnson.

I don't have the book, needless to say, but said nonetheless.

Images from startrek.com - sorry about the small size.

An Aurelian (from Yesteryear):
    http://www.startrek.com/imageuploads...-02/120x90.jpg

A Skorr (from Jihad)
    http://www.startrek.com/imageuploads...nse/120x90.jpg

They're clearly not the same species - the Aurelian has arms and does not have digitigrade legs. The Skorr has no arms but does have digitigrade legs. Body size and head shape are similar.

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    They're clearly not the same species - the Aurelian has arms and does not have digitigrade legs. The Skorr has no arms but does have digitigrade legs. Body size and head shape are similar.
    I believe that you are correct, but not for the reasons you stated. The www.startrek.com pics are not as good for evidence as the videos themselves. Since my only copies of TAS are the released VHS tape and I'm not set up to make screencaps from my VCR, I can't give pics of the evidence.

The www.startrek.com pics are from bad angles, so I pulled out my VHS tapes and forwarded to the scenes in question.

OBSERVATIONS
    1. Both Tchar from Jihad and the avian historian from Yesteryear have arms.

2. The two body types are NOT similar. Tchar's body is broader and fuller across the chest; whereas, the historian is much leaner almost skinny.

3. The two heads are NOT the same either. Tchar's again is fuller and his beak is wider than the historians. Although both birds head crown looks similar at first glance, there are subtle differences.

POSSIBLE CONCLUSIONS
    1. The historian and Tchar may be of the same race. Among birds, males and females of the same family look vastly different on occasions, for instance: peacocks, cardinals, and chickens.

2. The historian and Tchar may be of different ethnicity among avians. If one were to take silouette profiles of both a male cardinal and a male bluejay, it would be difficult to determine which was which at first glance. Many Anglos and Africans have difficulty on first glance determining the difference between Koreans, Chinese, Vietnamese, or Japanese people. Among birds, the thrush and the woodpecker are of the same sub-group, yet many distinctives separate the two.

As for the source of Aurelians being the name of the avian on Yesteryear, there aren't any concrete sources other than secondary sources (non-screen) and fanon available. For me, I would make these different avian species. As for a name, I would probably default to Aurelian for one and Skorr for the other. The names of Lt M'Ress and Lt Arex's races are not given on screen either as I recall...but then again I don't have time to watch all 22 eps right now. Yet generally, we have accepted over the years that M'Ress is Caitian and Arex is Edoan.

Oooh, how nice, some self-reference to these very own forums.

On this thread, by skree (quick link here):

AURELIAN
    Species Adjustments: +1 Agility, +1 Intellect, -1 Vitality
    Species Abilities: Skill Focus(Keen Sight)
    Flying
    Flaw( Pacifist 1)
    see Star Trek Worlds of the Federation by Shane Johnson p.56-57