Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RiP, gaming group.

Unhappy RiP, gaming group.

Hi all,

I've been kept away from the boards despite the promise I made to myself to return regularly, mainly because of work and also, I guess, from an ongoing "bad vibe" in our gaming group eroding my Trek motivation.

I offered today a peaceful discussion to solve our differences, if there were some. I guess I opened the hornet's nest, because soon after that, some players decided they were fed up with the game and that we should decidedly end it all now without any proper conclusion.

I keep the tiny hope that over time, people will calm down and we'll be able to resume gaming on good terms.

However, for the moment, five years of gaming have found an abrupt and sad end. I deeply hope this will not impact on our personal friendships. Maybe it was better we end the game, I don't know. Maybe as GM I should have ended the game before. Time will tell.

I just wanted to apologize for leaving the boards suddenly again for a while. There are many people I like a lot here (you know who you are) but I went through times when seeing the color scheme of an LCARS system was enough to send me running off.

I've still tried to keep lurking and wanted to send big thumbs up to all the projects going on here, there's awesome talent. And thank you for all the positive and constructive feedback you all gave me about ESO, this kept me up, Trek-wise, at some times.

I hope I'll be able to stick more to the boards in the future. I still like Trek, I had the most awesome gaming moments of my life with my group, and these are the memories I'll keep of it!

Keep gaming! And remember, when things get to a head, that IT'S JUST A GAME.

Depressing rant ended!

Peace

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Wink

Such things happen, sorry to hear it tho. those sorta things always suck
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Having dealt with this sort of situation before, it is often better to end the campaign than to allow lingering resentments poison the personal relationships. Hopefully things have not yet progressed that far. If they have, remember the best times and try to forget the worst. Above all, forgive people their faults; we're all human.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Hey KillerWhate, nice to hear from you. Sorry about your gaming group but sometimes things happen for a reason, possibly a good one i'd like to think.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Drop me a line man, if you want to talk or just be silly.

Sorry to hear things are going south right now

Sorry to hear about that.

If it isn't too sensitive a subject, how did this happen? The only reason I ask, and maybe it was because I had a really good group, is that in over 16yrs with the same group nothing like that has ever occured to me. Sure we had many disagreements and one or two major rows, but nothing that completely fractured the group dynamic.

And the idea of a game interferring in future continued friendships is also totally foreign to me.

Gaming is becoming a hard hobby... nowadays it is so much easier to be entertained by videogames and movies that RPGs, wargaming or even playing plain ol' board games that they are becoming increasingly uncommon. And even then when you find other gamers it seems you have a 50% chance to encounter someone you won't want to play with in the 1st place (ie munchkins, rule lawyers, bad losers/winners, etc). A couple of years ago I moved to a new town for a job and I looked at the local gaming scene. I had the choice between the Games Workshop crowd (mainly 11-yr old kids) and the local gaming "clique" that felt that their membership of 8 was large enough already. Then you have the just weird people; like the time I placed an ad at the FLGS and some guy calls up. He had a really whiny voice and I remember I had a hard time restraining myself from laughing. Now for some reason he suddenly started a long diatribe out of the blue against Battletech, saying it was this and that, yaddya, etc. The funny thing was, the ad was for bloody Warhammer (!).

Geez, the two last RPGs have played were 2-3 years ago; a few ICON games and some Call of Cthulu. I do play the occasional wargame in solo mode like Starmada. Sorry for the digression.

Edit: Ha! I just remembered; lets not forget the effects of on-line video gaming. Apparently it is THE hot new trend. Why have to go to the trouble of GMing a game of Dungeons&Dragons, call the players up, having to make it to the game, etc when all you can do is turn your Playstation and join an onile game sitting on your couch.
    Last edited by Snake_Plissken; 07-30-2004 at 08:50 PM.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

"Ha! I just remembered; lets not forget the effects of on-line video gaming. Apparently it is THE hot new trend. Why have to go to the trouble of GMing a game of Dungeons&Dragons, call the players up, having to make it to the game, etc when all you can do is turn your Playstation and join an onile game sitting on your couch. "

Hoboy! Don't get me started on this. Ah, too late the pin has been pulled. I hate these games more then I do CCGs. You want to talk about the ultimate for munchkins!!! Cripes, with the stupidity that goes on in these games I don't know how they have got on.

Yeah, they are really great games. Why go out to meet up with some friends and actually, dare I say it, socialize ::GASP:: What an outdated concept. Introverts of the world unite...in your dark little playrooms all alone....Hope you and your Vorpal Sword have a real good time. I have a friend that has since dropped off the face the of the world since he bought that colossal wallet raper known as "City of Heros." Talk about pulling fish hooks out of peoples mouths. $70 for the frickin' game to begin with! Then you have to pay $30 bucks a month to play, get real!

You know I actually wish I thought about this. Talk about that old proverd "a **** and his money..."

I apologize for the subject hi jack, it just had to be said.

And I should probably apologize in advance to those sensitive few that I have now very likely insulted with my opinion. But, hey...

Sorry to hear about your problem KW. My gaming group doesn't meet as much as before either, but that's more a problem of conflicting timetables.

Oh and BTW, just so you know, Phantom... all of my RPGaming friends and I play City of Heroes. And our real-life RPG has not dropped either.
    Also, my GF's sister's boyfriend is a fervent Magic player and as eager to discover what RPG is like.

So, playing CCG or MMORPG doesn't mean one consider real life RPG obsolete
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by C5

Oh and BTW, just so you know, Phantom... all of my RPGaming friends and I play City of Heroes. And our real-life RPG has not dropped either.
    Also, my GF's sister's boyfriend is a fervent Magic player and as eager to discover what RPG is like.

Glad to hear it. I know there are gamers out there like you and your friends that don't fall into the category I described. However, people like you and I(as well as your friends/and more then likely most around here) are the exception to the rule. I have always thought of RPGing as a social event, and AFAIC games like CoH are the bane to socialization.

As to CCGs, I just never found them fun...though they can be a good investment option, if you are lucky enough to find the rare ones.

I still find it hard to see how a group could fly apart so violently, figuratively speaking. I know that it can be hard to find a good group in the first place, but it sounds like you and your group have been together for a while (a yr wasn't it?) everyones likes and dislikes should have been known at that point. Did they just not like Trek RPing?

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?

Unhappy

Sorry to hear it, KW. When my regular gaming group fractured, it was due to real-world considerations & not the other way around. (Romantic breakups, mainly. One couple in particular had a teraton yield split. )
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Originally posted by Cybrludite
    ... One couple in particular had a teraton yield split. )
    How many zeros is that?

"Tera" is the SI prefix for one trillion. "Ton" is of course 2000 pounds ("tonne" is 1000 kilogrammes, about 10% greater), so one teraton is 2,000,000,000,000 tons. That's a helluva yield (this sort of notation is generally reserved for energy release, the unit being the energy put out by an equivalent mass of trinitrotoluene, or TNT).

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton
    "Tera" is the SI prefix for one trillion. "Ton" is of course 2000 pounds ("tonne" is 1000 kilogrammes, about 10% greater), so one teraton is 2,000,000,000,000 tons. That's a helluva yield (this sort of notation is generally reserved for energy release, the unit being the energy put out by an equivalent mass of trinitrotoluene, or TNT).
    Thanks for the defintion of teraton. I did already know what "yield" meant.

Originally posted by Snake_Plissken
    Gaming is becoming a hard hobby... nowadays it is so much easier to be entertained by videogames and movies that RPGs, wargaming or even playing plain ol' board games that they are becoming increasingly uncommon.
    At a friend's birthday on Friday night, my brother advanced the theory that this is pretty much why comic books - which he and I (much more him) have worked on in the past - have gone South so badly over the last few years. He feels it's easier to create a character and play out your own adventure - a la Knights of the Old Republic - than to look at a story that's already been put together, where you have only vicarious involvement and no real stake in what happens to the protagonists.

With regard to teraton: Owen, where do you find out about this stuff? And why aren't you on Jeopardy! making the rest of Canada proud (and yourself a few hundred thousand bucks) with your array of knowledge?