Thread: Resolving large ship-ship battles

Post Resolving large ship-ship battles

Im putting together a ffew of my groups ships into a combat fleet to simulate a large ship-ship battle, similar to those depicted in the Dominion war. Does anyone have any rules/idas (or did i miss them elsewhere) for quickly resolving combat on that scale. Obviously i will be haivng the PC's ship run the traditional way letting them play out their own actions but id like (for them and for my own entertainment) to leave the other parts of the battle up in the air as well, letting them interact with as chaotic and unpredictible of an outcome in this setting as possible. Any ideas?

Steve's Spacedock rules have a "quick 'n' dirty" system for fleet battles, but I don't know if you're using SD ships or not. If not, I have no idea if it adapts well to LUG rules.

------------------
    "The more top brass briefings I attend, the more I want to take a phaser to the whole lot of them..."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest, NCC-81205

The Spacedock rules do crossover well, but only if you do a little finagling. I've used them already & they work fine.

I managed it that way in my Dominion War Campaign: I made a battle plan and put the players in a certain wing. I gave all wings ships, named flagships and commanders, to deepen the realism. Then I gave a general tactic and general orders to the Characters. I set up the figures for the enemies ships and then the characters battled - I gave them enemies and e.g. did not restrict to movement units and the like - we simply estimated the whole thing. First I thought this would be no good idea, because it would let the whole thing vague but actually it was pretty good, because it was fast and intense. According to the characters achievements in during their actions I measured the success of the whole fleet, and according to dice roll on Starship Tactics by the fleets commanders.