Thread: The Decipher "Stat Block"

The Decipher "Stat Block"

Those of you with familiar with D20 games will no doubt have seen the stat block used for describing characters.
    It's essentially a short hand character sheet, with all of the relevant stats included.
    I've come up with a Decipher version of this, which I've found particularly useful as I can easily fit a character on an index card...here's an example;

Lt Commander Jena Parker Female Human, Starship Officer, Command Officer; Defence 8; Health 9; Damage 1d3 ; Initiative; Agl 9 (+1 )*, Int 11(+2 ), Per 8 (+1 ), Prs 8 (+1) *, Str 6 , Vit 8 ( +1); Quick +1 , Savv +1 , Stam +1, Will +4* ; SA Adaptable (Will +2), The Human Spirit, Skilled; PA Starship Duty, Commanding Presence, Starship/Starbase Protocol (Starfleet), , Starship Tactics, Command; ADV 10; PersDev/ ProfDev – Military Brat, Basic Commander; CP 4 ; R 0; Skills: Athletics (Climb, Swim, Run) +3*, Enterprise: Administration (Starfleet) +5*, Knowledge: Culture (Human) +6* ; Knowledge: Specific World (Mars) +6*, Language: Federation Standard +7, Knowledge: History (Federation, Mars) +6*, Knowledge: Politics (Federation) +6*, Energy Weapons (Phaser) +5*, Computer Use (Retrieve, Encryption) +5*, Knowledge: Law (Starfleet Regulations) +7*, System Operation (Command, Flight Control, Sensors) +7*, Negotiate (Bargain,Mediate) +6*, Repair +5*, Tactics (Klingon,Space) +6*, Unarmed Combat: Starfleet Martial Arts +1*, Science: Social (Anthropology) +5, Influence (Charm) +3*, Inquire (Interrogate) +3*, Investigate +3
    Edges: Promotion 3, Fit, Command, Coordinator; Flaws:; Equipment: Starfleet Communicator, Starfleet Tricorder, Starfleet Phaser-Type II (5/20/50/100/+20 – Damage varies)

It's important to remember that the skill levels listed are the effective skill levels , including skill rank, attribute modifier and any other modifiers from edges or abilities. The initiative value will show if the character has any modifiers to initiative from abilities and so on. SA is Species Abilities, PA is Professional Abilities, ADV is Advancements, PersDev/ProfDev is Personal Development/Professional Development, CP is Courage Points and R is Renown.
    I've found this format really useful and so thought I'd share.

Cheers

Renny

What are the values's stared for as in -> * <- ? Usually that denotes an addenum note, but there isn't one, so what am I missing?
    Ta Muchly

The * denotes either preferred attribute or reaction, or Professional skills, depending on the usage eg Agl 9 (+1)* means that Agility is a Preferred Attribute (which means that it costs less to increase through advancement).

Still not quite sure whether I like having * scattered through the stats. May think of another way of denoting preferred attributes and skills.

Cheers

Renny

Ahh cool, well as long as you say so, it's not too bad.

it depends what you're using this for. If it's an NPC, I usually just give them whatever stats i feel like (as a GM) or rather whatever stats would be appropriate than worry too much about how the cost is built.
    Ta Muchly

Not bad.

I'd prefer to put a paragraph break before the Skills and Edges entries.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I'd prefer to put a paragraph break before the Skills and Edges entries.

Good call

Still not quite sure whether I like having * scattered through the stats. May think of another way of denoting preferred attributes and skills.

Italics? Bold and Italicised? Underlined? There are several options IMHO

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

Arrow

Go with italics. If you use bold it would confuse readers trying to distinguish the Entry names.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Hmmm...I think i'll try the italics idea. I like it.

Thanks guys

Regards

Renny