Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the new Star Trek Series, a Prequel!

Angry the new Star Trek Series, a Prequel!

News about the new Trek Series. TV Guide reported that the new series will air this fall and is about the early Federation 100 years before Kirk and Spock. there is a casting call with a list of charaters and one character is a young T'Pau.

Is that the T'Pau from "Amok Time"?

Yes! the same T'Pau, but she is said to be more 'seven of nine-ish'. I was hoping for something more but this might be interesting. It might cover the Klingon Federation War.

Apparently, TV Guide is only reporting rumors from "anonymous reliable sources" as fact -- such was admitted by the author of the TV Guide article.

I, for one, won't accept any "news" about a prequel until it's officially announced by Paramount.

Y'know, I remember the premise of Deep Space Nine was announced -- with photos of the station -- much more in advance than Paramount is doing with Series V. I can't help but wonder why they're so hesistant about releasing the details?

Nonetheless, I'm hoping for the best, and I'll probably watch it -- at least, a few episodes -- no matter what it's about, just to give it a try ...

------------------
    Voka a Bentel
    (May you walk with the Prophets),

Eris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Rana naz’g ol resu ji joreen."
    (It is the unknown that defines our existence)
    -- Bajoran proverb

Thumbs down

Eris, I'm betting the reason they haven't put anything out is they don't HAVE anything. Braga is racing around looking for an idea that will redeem him in the eyes of Paramount.

It's gonna suck, guys... They're moving too fast & haven't thought the thing through. Just like Voyager.

I agree with qerlin; they don't have any clear idea of what to do, and that's why the old rumor -because it's already an old one- of a series previous to Classic Trek is back...

In my opinion, Berman has done a great work preserving the principles in which Roddenberry created Star Trek, as well as making other many mistakes in the process; anyway, the recent drop in audiences shows that he is too much burned out for more Star Trek... Paramount should look for a new replacement. Problem is that Berman knew Roddenberry, and probably any replacement didn't...

Anyway, just a proposal: J. M. Strackzynski?

JMS would be cool, but it looks like he's gonna have his hands full with a possible new B5 serieson sci-fi.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jabara Eris:
    Y'know, I remember the premise of Deep Space Nine was announced -- with photos of the station -- much more in advance than Paramount is doing with Series V. I can't help but wonder why they're so hesistant about releasing the details?

</font>

Think about it. Why didn't we hear much about Star Trek Generations until the summer before it came out? Simple, Star Trek The Next Generation was still on the air and finishing up its series run. You don't want to steal the thunder from the show by giving the media details about something new. (I know having worked in newspapers for a decade)

I'm sure come June, after the last Voyager show airs, we'll get a lot of official details and confirmed rummors from Paramount and the production crews.

Cool

Jabara Eris. You said that TV Guide is quoting 'ananymous reliable sources' and this was admitted by the author. Where did you obtain this information? The author is Michael Logan and he does not say anything like this in the article. He claims to have 'an early casting call sheet aquired by TV Guide'. He names a Capt. Jackson Archer, Lt Mayweather, Ensign Sato and several others including T'Pau. I don't want to stur up any crap but TV Guide is fairly reputable in the US when it comes to tv programs. I have a funny feeling that this is good info. 10 days ago in California the tv network with brand new shows gave the major companys that place commercials on tv casting call sheets to let them know the best programs to place there adds and comercials and one of these may have slipped out. Food for thought. Qapla'

One thing I very much enjoyed about the TNG premiere is David Gerrold had a monthly column in Starlog where he would introduce the new show, the characters, the ship, what has changed in Star Trek, etc. However, he didn't give away any of the details of individual episodes. My memory is foggy, (it was over a decade ago), but I'm pretty certain he started around January of '87. It'd be neat if Paramount could do something like that at startrek.com, though I suspect they won't announce anything till just after (or perhaps during) the Voyager finale.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dan Stack (edited 03-27-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KlingonZ:
    You said that TV Guide is quoting 'ananymous reliable sources' and this was admitted by the author. Where did you obtain this information? The author is Michael Logan and he does not say anything like this in the article. </font>
    Okay, here's the scoop. The "casting sheet" was posted on the Web several weeks ago after being "released" by someone having to do with the show biz industry (unfortunately, I can't remember their job title, but they were "anonymous"). I do remember that the person didn't work for Paramount. I also remember that, after it was released, several industry people who weren't afraid to use their real names came out and said the "casting sheet" had not been distributed through the proper channels (like a good casting sheet would) and was most likely a fake.

This appears to be the same casting sheet used by Michael Logan when he wrote the article for TV Guide.

However ...

After doing a little more research, I discovered an article written by Steve Krutzler for trekweb.com. He's been pretty much a doubting Thomas about the whole "prequel" idea, but after interviewing Logan he's now not so sure ...

To quote Krutzler:
    "Having contacted and spoken briefly with the author of the piece Michael Logan -- who has covered 'Trek' for TV Guide for many years -- I can report that Michael is very confident in his sources and that Paramount did not confirm or comment on the story. The casting sheet that he refers to in his story sounded in our brief conversation like the same one that's been online for three weeks, but he did say that the document he acquired was not the same copy as the one that has been on the Internet for a few weeks, suggesting that indeed the sheet is real. In light of his sources and the fact that we know casting is in fact going on, he is very confident in its authenticity. Also, I have been in contact with some of TrekWeb's more traditional sources and word from one who works in and around the lot is that the prequel idea is legit. As surprising as this is to me, and as much as it could still be false in light of the forthcoming announcements from Paramount that will put all of this to rest, I can now officially say that it seems we may very well be looking at the real deal. 'Captain Archer', 'T'Pau', the whole gang. Unless there's some major misdirection going on, it appears all signs point to "prequel"."

His article was found at http://talk.trekweb.com/articles/200...985100764.html

So maybe the casting sheet is valid. Maybe not.

For what it's worth, here's the bulk of the info from the sheet:

Captain Jackson Archer: Early 40s. Physical. Bold personality. Intensely curious. Born and raised an explorer. Unlike the Starfleet captains in centuries to come, he exhibits a sense of wonder and excitement, as well as a little trepidation about the strange things he will encounter. He holds a grudge against the Vulcans, who he blames for impeding humanity's progress. But his science officer is Vulcan, and he's struggling to reconsider those preconceptions. Although he has a strong sense of duty, he's a bit of a renegade - he's not afraid to question orders or even disobey them if he feels in his gut that he's right... .

Sub-Commander T'Pau: Late 20s, early 30s. Vulcan female. Austere yet sensual. She's the Science Officer assigned to oversee humanity's progress on board Enterprise. Although she's cautious and guarded around humans, whom she considers primitive and irrational, she's developed a grudging respect for Captain Archer. She'll become one of his most loyal and trusted crew members. .

Commander Charlie 'Spike' Tucker: Chief Engineer. Early 30s. A Southerner who enjoys using his "country" persona to disarm people. He has an offbeat, often sarcastic sense of humor. Spike was hand-picked by Captain Archer, who is something of a mentor to him. Although Spike is a brilliant Engineer and an outstanding officer, he has very little first-hand experience with alien cultures, and he's often a "fish out of water" when dealing with new civilizations. .

Doctor Phlox: Exotic alien. Medical officer. Appears to be in his 40s, but we're not certain of his real age. Phlox speaks with a slight alien accent and has an eccentric sense of humor that no one quite understands. He thinks that humanity is fascinating. The Doctor has filled Sickbay with all sorts of bizarre medical instruments, alien plants and spores, and stasis chambers with small, living creatures. He practices a brand of "Intergalactic medicine" the likes of which we've never seen. This makes the most routine visit to Sickbay an unexpected adventure. .

Lieutenant Joe Mayweather: Helmsman. African American. Mid to late 20s. A unique product of 22nd Century life, Mayweather was raised on cargo ships. As a result Joe is more "interstellar" than even the Captain. He's travelled to dozens of planets and met many different alien species. Mayweather has an 'instinct' for space-travel that few humans possess. Joe's closest friend is Spike. Similar in age and spirit these two will spend their off-duty hours finding new ways to enjoy life in space.

Lt. Commander Malcolm Reed: Armory Officer. British. Late 20s - early 30s. In the new age of humanity's enlightenment, Reed is a bit of a throwback. He's a 22rd Century "soldier", all spit and polish and by-the-book. Reed is filled with contradictions. Despite his near-obsession with munitions, he's soft-spoken, shy and awkward around women. When testing a new weapon, he's liable to put on a pair of space-age earplugs because he doesn't like loud noises.

Ensign Hoshi Sato: Comm Officer. Japanese. Mid to late 20s. Striking and intelligent, Hoshi has a feisty spirit that often tests the patience of the crew. She's in charge of communications on Enterprise, but she also serves as ship's Translator. An expert in exo-linguistics, she learned to manipulate her vocal chords to emit a range of alien sounds no human has ever produced. She has a natural affinity for picking up languages. Hoshi doesn't like the idea of being trapped in a "tin can" hurtling at impossible speeds. Every time the ship jumps to warp she grips her console and closes her eyes. She's a "white knuckle" space farer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silik: Late 30s to early 40s. Alien. Physically agile. One of the leaders of the Suliban, a deadly species obsessed with genetic enhancement. Our villain. [Note: Silik is described as a recurring character.]

Admiral Forrest: Human male. 50s to 60s. A career military man who's the highest ranking officer in Starfleet. He's fond of Captain Archer and has personally selected him to command Enterprise. [Note: Forrest and all further characters are non-recurring, and cast for the pilot episode only.]

Admiral Leonard: Human male. 40s - 50s. A high-ranking officer in Starfleet who serves directly under Admiral Forrest.

Commander Williams: Human male. 50s. A somewhat temperamental Starfleet officer who serves as attaché to Admiral Forrest.

Ambassador Soval: Vulcan male. Late 60s. A wise and arrogant diplomat who has very little patience with Captain Archer.

Tos: Vulcan male. 50s. Ambassador Soval's assistant. Shares Soval's disdain for human culture.

The article containing the full details so-called "casting sheet" released by an anonymous source can be found at http://www.trektoday.com/news/040301_01.shtml

Only the Prophets -- and Paramount -- know for sure at this point what's the real story ...

Enjoy!

------------------
    Voka a Bentel
    (May you walk with the Prophets),

Eris

"Rana naz’g ol resu ji joreen."
    (It is the unknown that defines our existence)
    -- Bajoran proverb

The Admirals Forest and Lenonard, along with Commander Williams made me rather suspicious of this casting sheet. DeForest Kelly? Leonard Nimoy? WilliamShatner? Seems way too cute in my personal opnion.

I'm no Hollywood expert, but do casting sheets normally discuss backgrounds of the characters? I would think it would be more directed towards the type of actor they are looking for and be targetted at agents. For example, why bother putting:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    When testing a new weapon, he's liable to put on a pair of space-age earplugs because he doesn't like loud noises.
    </font>
    in a casting sheet?

(Note, I'm not shooting the messenger on this, I'm just suspicious of the message.)

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dan Stack:
    (Note, I'm not shooting the messenger on this, I'm just suspicious of the message.)
    </font>
    I'm obviously pretty suspicious myself -- for the very reasons you specified. That's why I posted the sheet's "details" -- so everybody else can draw their own conclusions!

Now for my speculation ...

By drawing on all the most persistent rumors out there, my suspicion is that the new series is going to be set in the far future aboard a time ship (29th Century perhaps?), and they'll visit the 22nd Century (give or take 100 years) during the pilot episode. Drawing on another rumor I've heard ... maybe they'll be there to stop a mad villain trying to stop the Federation from ever coming into existance. And maybe the series will be called "Time Trek" (since Berman said it might not have the name "Star Trek" in the title).

We'll see ...

Eris

Cool

Jabara Eris, thanks for the details on the casting sheet. You plot for the new series sounds more like a dynamite plot for the next movie. I would like to see series V based on Section 31, with a futuristic James Bond flavor, something new and different, with the Klingon Empire ruled by Chancelor Martok sprinkled in. (sorry, I am an avid Klingon fan, thus the nick name)

a warrior's blood boils before the fire is hot!

Reading the posting of the new series, kind of scares me.

It looks to me like Berman is attempting to kill Star Trek. It is difficult to be 300 years in the future and take the series back that far. Plus there are too many problems one is the technology, second is you want to see resolutions for all the unresolve problems in TNG/DS9/VOY.

I think the new series would be better serve if it continues or maybe a little into the future of the present series, and they focus on being fresh, interesting, and making ST controversial again.