Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks, Fond Farewells and Best Wishes, Don

Thanks, Fond Farewells and Best Wishes, Don

After a day or so break - mostly spent wasting the golden hours of my youth on City of Heroes - I checked back here and read Don's announcement. To say that I was shocked...well, no, not really. Disappointed and sad...well, yeah. Probably more than I should be.

I first became acquainted with this site - through the LUG homepage recommendation - in Sept. '00, shortly after the announcement of the RPG licence transfer over to Decipher was released. I very quickly became greatly enamoured of the wit, literacy and general good comradeship of the crew around here; even occasional Richard Daystrom's popping up, like Red Quacker, were of some real amusement value. Although I refrained from joining until May of last year, I was a very loyal lurker and had this site as my opening page from the moment I got my Dell, and my Internet hookup, in March '01.

Don, I know I write for everyone here when I thank you for the enormous effort that you've expended over the last six years. You provided a home for people who shared a common interest, forwarded the funds for housing and support without complaint; gave us some spectacular extra special stuff, like requisitioning the lost Icon material; and fought like hell to bring life back to the Coda project when certain parties decided that doing the job they signed on for just wasn't worth the effort. I certainly do hope to see you around the 'Net in future; either on another site of your own construction or on one of the spin-offs Trek-RPG.net has - and is sure to - inspire. Whatever form your sabbatical takes, you've more than earned it.

So everyone stand and raise your glasses: Here's to Don Mappin. You came in the front door, like a gentleman, and left the same way. Thank you again, and once more hoping that this is only another step in the continued evolution of the Star Trek RPG community.

P.S.: I hope that everyone here realizes, even though I've never posted a single message to it, that I'm going to submit the final post to the "Be a Winner" thread 1.5 seconds before the shutdown.

My Thumbs Up in Appreciation to Don

Decipher Trek will always hold a special place in my heart. This site was my daily link to it.

I thank you... and remind my feloow hobbyists that nothing ever fades if you remember (or continue playing) it.

Don, drop by the new site to say hi once in awhile.
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

Re: My Thumbs Up in Appreciation to Don

Originally posted by ImperialOne
    Decipher Trek will always hold a special place in my heart. This site was my daily link to it.

I thank you... and remind my feloow hobbyists that nothing ever fades if you remember (or continue playing) it.

Don, drop by the new site to say hi once in awhile.
    What he said. Thanks for the site, Don. I hope to hear from you at the new site.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

First off, screw Decipher. Even Games Workshop doesn't dare to show that much contempt for its customers.

This being said, we should REALLY appreciate what Don has tried to do for us. I think I would have given up much eariler than he. I think that he made the right decision; he should put the priority on the welfare of his family and enjoy life.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

Thank you again, Don. You rule!

Thank you NOT, Decipher. You had a wonderful team, dream licenses, awesome material, quality products, and you let all this go down the drain. You rule NOT.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Thumbs up

Thank you for the comments, guys. It is appreciated.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

After the time and effort you've expended on our behalf, Don, it's the very least we can do.

Cheers.

Well, now I'm regretting not coming by the forums more often. Lack of support from D (and a growing interest in other properties like Stargate) has kept me away.

Three cheers to Don (and his evil twin Dan) for all his terrific work!

I'll be the first to admit, I've not been here as much lately, and for that I'm sorry. Real life, alas, seems to take up increasingly large amounts of my time.

I'm sad to see the site go, and would like to extend my thanks for the support, and for the community you've given us over the last few years.

Thank you Don, and my best wishes for the future.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

All I can say is thanks, Don for all the hard work on the site and for trying your utmost with Decipher.

I haven't been around here for a while, because my Trek campaign ended and I moved onto other games and because there has been nothing new from Decipher. I guess that is true of other people too.

This site has been a source of inspiration for my games and a place of sanctuary from the outside world when my life was at its darkest.

I'll miss it. Unless any of you guys can save it!

This is Greg Smith, signing off.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Oh, jeez. I come back from Qatar, this is the first time I can get to the forums in about two months, and they're almost closed...

This is far and away the best bunch of people I've ever met online. I'd hate to lose contact with all of you. Where are we going to go now?

Thanks for all the hard work and heartaches you went through, Don. You went above and beyond the call of duty. It is my honor to present you with Sarge's Official Outstanding Webmaster Commendation. "The accomplishments of Dan Moppin reflect great credit upon himself and the Trek-RPG community."
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

OMG!

What everyone else said!

I love the game, the site and the community here - real life got in the way of my recent visits, but it's always been a place worth hanging out at.

I'll be really sorry to see it go

Thanks for all the hard work Don, in all arenas.

I only hope we can keep it together somewhere... (I know a sci-fi messageboard desperate for visitors if anyone wants the url).
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Once again, Thanks Don for providing a great site for all these years & for putting up with our shinanigans

As I commented in the other thread, I've been trying to find some words.

Here goes nothing.

There was a time in my life, a while back, when this board was a lifeline of sorts out of the personal hell that lives inside my head.

It was my connection to other people, some like me, some not, but always a fun group of people to hang with and talk to. It kept me from dwelling, from getting lost.

And, without Don Mappin, this wouldn't have been possible.

I started to get obsessed with the boards, and so in order to continue to maintain my own sanity, I had to give them up and get some real help.

Since I'm doing much better, I've come back, just in time to watch the lights get turned off.

And, this fills me with a sadness that I find a little scary.

So, thanks Don. When I needed a family, you helped provided it. Thanks everyone else that's been helpful, or irritating, or fun. You've all been a big help to me.

Alex