Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ferengi Sourcebook, anyone?

You should probably assign a hefty social disadvantage to female Ferengi, or have the character take the Dark Secret disadvantage if she disguises herself as a male.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Livonia, Michigan, US; Holder of the Steve Long Pink Elephant for SRM Volume 2: The Cardassian Empire Testreading

Caretaker: OK, then you can start on chapter 2 for now - apparently the doctor is a bit busy If I don't hear back from spyone, I'll split his chapters between us.

Queeg: Looks good. But that's only a note!?!?! We'll make it a sidebar in the finished product. As for the Law Enforcement Powers... perhaps, in the case of Liquidators, they should have a -2 disadvantage to counter this - Feared. After all, who wants a FCA agent to come knocking?

Captain Hunter: Marauder Mo will be in there, somehow! (Although, I think we'll leave the action figures out of it, except possibly as a health hazard!) As for Command... What does Quark do to Rom & Nog? He bosses them around... the loss of profits is implied in failure to obey. So they can command... people just obey for different reasons.

Doug/Dan: Two bars, actually. Lobes it is.

Dave: Not yet... I'm thinking that both should involve commerce to some degree, and probably one relating to the dangers that can come from there. I'm awaiting your outline!

Sarge: OK... New disadvangate: Female -3... But how to overcome, is the question... Any ideas, anyone?

------------------
    It's is our last, best hope for peace? We are so screwed.

O.K. Here is the latest!

Unfortunately, we will not be given bulletin board space to work on the sourcebook. It looks like we will either have to continue using this BBS, or even private chat rooms on aol. I realize this can be a problem because not all of us use aol.

That's okay though. At least other gamers can see what we have going on. It's not like we can sell this thing, and we can't go to jail for doing this .

I'll definately use the character archetypes everyone's been posting. THEY'RE GREAT!!!!

I'm starting to write some of the chapter text for character creation, which brings me to the next point. Everyone involved should swap addresses so that we can review each other's work and give each other credit on the final product.

I realize this is going to take some time... many of us either run or play in our own games.

I hope this news does'nt discourage anyone. There have already been some great suggestions sent in. I hope everyone uses what is presented so far. We really need to keep game balance in mind as we develop this project.

Until tomorrow!!

Robert

Question

I feel I need to apologize, but the reality is that there are simply too many sourcebooks being planned right now, and I can not make seperate discussion areas for each. Until one project is completed and reaches fruition, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. I hope you understand.

In any event, I wish you all the best of luck and if the situation changes, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I hope you can continue to work on the project here and through e-mail.

Regards,
    Don

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 12-14-2000).]

Well before the Cardassian Book got a page here, they started an egroups list...

Perhaps thats an option that could be investigated...

Now for Maurauder Mo...
    Perhaps the chapters openers, should include a short vigenette, written in the style of the Maurauder Mo cartoon exemplifying the chapters subject?

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts froma random mind!"

Wink

Originally posted by ArsenicMan:
    Queeg: Looks good. But that's only a note!?!?! We'll make it a sidebar in the finished product.
    I meant the dedication as a note in this thread. Glory and Praise to Mr. Long and the rest of the LUG staff could be a whole chapter, actually. OK, maybe a thanks in the intro would probably be sufficient.

As for the Law Enforcement Powers... perhaps, in the case of Liquidators, they should have a -2 disadvantage to counter this - Feared. After all, who wants a FCA agent to come knocking?
    Hmm... a interesting idea. Although, I wonder if being feared would really be a disadvantage? Must ponder this concept some more, since Overlays don't normally have advantages & disadvantages inherent to them.

Sarge: OK... New disadvangate: Female -3... But how to overcome, is the question... Any ideas, anyone?
    Wouldn't Diminished Social Status -2 or -3 cover this one? Since it already exists in the rules, there's no need to create a new disadvantage for "being" female.

I like what I see so far for this project.

Robert: since you're working on the character creation chapter as well, I'll e-mail you any more packages that I come up with, OK?

*Queeg goes off to the cellar to grab some fresh tube grubs*

LQ

------------------
    "No one controls me. I'm uncontrollable. The only one who can control me is me... and that's just barely possible!" -John Lennon

[This message has been edited by Liquidator Queeg (edited 12-14-2000).]

Livonia, Michigan, US; Holder of the Steve Long Pink Elephant for SRM Volume 2: The Cardassian Empire Testreading

Originally posted by Don:
    I feel I need to apologize, but the reality is that there are simply too many sourcebooks being planned right now, and I can not make seperate discussion areas for each. Until one project is completed and reaches fruition, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. I hope you understand.

In any event, I wish you all the best of luck and if the situation changes, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I hope you can continue to work on the project here and through e-mail.

Regards,
    Don
    I understand perfectly, and thanks for the explanation.

Originally posted by Dan Gurden:
    Well before the Cardassian Book got a page here, they started an egroups list...

Perhaps thats an option that could be investigated...
    I just made one. Send a message to Greed_is_Eternal-subscribe@egroups.com to subscribe. I've also sent an invitation to everyone here.

Once people subscribe, we can merely look at the members list to see who is working on the project.

Originally posted by Liquidator Queeg:
    Queeg: Looks good. But that's only a note!?!?! We'll make it a sidebar in the finished product.

I meant the dedication as a note in this thread. Glory and Praise to Mr. Long and the rest of the LUG staff could be a whole chapter, actually. OK, maybe a thanks in the intro would probably be sufficient.
    Sorry, I thought that that actually went with the template OK, thanks in the intro it is.

[quote]
    As for the Law Enforcement Powers... perhaps, in the case of Liquidators, they should have a -2 disadvantage to counter this - Feared. After all, who wants a FCA agent to come knocking?

Hmm... a interesting idea. Although, I wonder if being feared would really be a disadvantage? Must ponder this concept some more, since Overlays don't normally have advantages & disadvantages inherent to them.

Wouldn't Diminished Social Status -2 or -3 cover this one? Since it already exists in the rules, there's no need to create a new disadvantage for "being" female.
    You're right - Diminished Social Status it is, but probably -3.

I like what I see so far for this project.
    Good. I hope the rest of it is as good or better.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ArsenicMan (edited 12-14-2000) to add more quotes.]

[This message has been edited by ArsenicMan (edited 12-14-2000).]

Unhappy

I am indeed busy. Sorry for the delay of my response.

And although I wish to collaborate with this project as much as I can, several other things are slowing me down. But please, reserve me a chapter!

------------------
    Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality

Originally posted by Dr. Jonas Bashir:
    I am indeed busy. Sorry for the delay of my response.

And although I wish to collaborate with this project as much as I can, several other things are slowing me down. But please, reserve me a chapter!

Like I posted earlier, chapter 5 is yours. Would you rather do it from scratch or would you rather do polish of a rough draft?

------------------

Send it in! I'll try to combine it with an article I once made for a local ST magazine.

Just a question about Chapter 5: what should be the focus that I take here? A plain, simple analysis of the Rules, attached with an explanation about the cultural and economical reasons of their appearance? Something rule-wise? History and facts cross-linking?

Hmm... I think that the approach should be an analysis (from the view of a Ferengi, of course), with perhaps some historical applications of each rule (where available). I'll send you a rough draft ASAP.

As a side note, how are we going to publish this? I'm pretty sure that a PDF is the way to go, but can anyone here make one? Is there an easy way to turn a Word document (which I can do all of the layout in) into a PDF?

------------------

Don offered himself for the layout of the Trill Sourcebook, although I don't know about his time availability for any other project.

In fact, I can do that sort of stuff, that means, distilling the document to make it a PDF file. But I lack the artistic abilities that Don has, especially for an alien species book. If you can provide me with the book art and such, I see no inconvenience about turning a Word doc (or any other thing, for the case) into a PDF. But just that; I lack the tools and abilities for a full layout.

Looking forward for the draft...

Lightbulb

TrekRPGNet is putting together some plans to possibly help offer some assistance and formalize these types of arrangements -- including layout.

For the time being, my recommendation would be to concentrate on writing and developing a comprehensive outline -- layout is something you shouldn't worry about at this point.

Don

Dr. B.,

I will make my talents as an illustrator and ship/deckplan designer available subject to time constraints. I'd also offer layout services to lighten Don's load, but unfortunately I don't currently have that kind of time available.

Just don't ask me to do nudes of Moogie... {Brrrrrr.... shiver}

My wife knows how to import any text file into a pdf file. In fact, she says she can show me how to do a layout. All we have to have is finished product.

I don't know any graphic designers though, so we are kind of screwed in that regard .

We are a long way off for even a playtest copy, so let's concentrate on that.

I still have'nt received critiques from many of you on some of my ideas yet, so come and bash/praise my work. I would like a better idea from all of you before I get too wrapped up in my version of this. So far, I am developing a working outline.

You will see what I am talking about when you get over to the sourcebook area.

Hope I brought to light some more options.