Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferengi Sourcebook, anyone?

Lightbulb Ferengi Sourcebook, anyone?

Rule of Acquisition #10-- "Greed is Eternal!"

I think ST:TNG is in serious need for a Ferengi sourcebook. Instead of being one who merely suggests an action, I am willing to DO something about it. How would everyone like to see another e-sourcebook for all of you loyal gamers out there?

The Ferengi are a race I use often in my games. I really enjoy this race, and think they offer great potential to players seeking ideas about commerce in the Next Gen universe.

Steve Long has indicated his approval of this idea. I would greatly appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer, including: help, general complaints, etc.

If you are not a registered user, please become one so that we can see the REAL interest gamers have for this idea.

Wink

As long as you promise not to include "Moogie", Zek or Leeta - I don't think I could stand it!

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

Well both myself and Dr Jonas Bashier had discussed this very topic after the Trill book was finished...

Even to the point of discussing chapters and using rules of aquistion as Chapter tiles. We even had the books name...

If you start, I am sure we will be happy to help, edit and submit material and the like. I know I am...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts froma random mind!"

Arrow

Well, Dan said it well. I have nothing to add yet, so if we do it, you'll have to wait until we finish the Trill book (most likely during early 2001). If you start, I'll be happy to collaborate.

------------------
    Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality

Thumbs up

Well, I too remember having a brief discussion with the good Doctor about this very project, and I would definitely like to contribute.

I've even started taking research notes (in hand-scribbled form--nothing in electronic format yet) from all the Trek episodes I have on tape featuring Ferengi characters. Unfortunately, my DS9 collection doesn't include episodes after season four.

Other than LUG products (such as the DS9 Core Book, DS9 Narrator's Toolkit and Raiders, Renegades and Rogues) my research materials include:

Star Trek: The Magazine, Issue #9 (Jan, 2000)
    -Briefing #2 (pp.62-82) features fairly extensive details on Ferengi society, death rituals, the "energy whip", "thought maker" and Ferengi Marauders.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Magazine, Issues 2,3,5,6,8 and 22 (1993-98)
    -Magazines feature numerous episode synopses, character/actor articles and interviews, and other such DS9-related stuff.

Star Trek Encyclopedia: 1999 Updated and Expanded Edition
    -'Da big blue book.

I will be able to draw from all the above sources for material, and I'm also on the lookout for most anything Ferengi-related that I come across.

First question I can think of: Who volunteers to be the Ferengi Supplement "Developer"? We'll likely need some poor soul to provide direction, crack the whip, give pats-on-the-back, and serve as a general all-around visionary and editor.

LQ

------------------
    "No one controls me. I'm uncontrollable. The only one who can control me is me... and that's just barely possible!" -John Lennon

[This message has been edited by Liquidator Queeg (edited 12-10-2000).]

I'd be willing to help out with the Ferengi book, too, once the whole Trill one gets completed.

In fact, the good people over at Psi Phi.org (presumably my friend David Henderson) has kept a list of all the Rules of Acquisition, noting canon ones from non-canon ones, all the way through "Inside Man" (VOY). http://www.psiphi.org/DS9/rules.html

There is also information at http://freenet.buffalo.edu/~bj803/ferengi.html although there is no link that I can see to contact the author (I thought maybe he or she would like to join in on helping write).

[This message has been edited by Caretaker (edited 12-10-2000).]

Livonia, Michigan, US; Holder of the Steve Long Pink Elephant for SRM Volume 2: The Cardassian Empire Testreading

Talking

I'll be the Ferengi line developer. I think I need a better title, though. Liquidator isn't powerful enough... Grand Nagus suits me just fine, though.

------------------
    This is our last, best hope for peace? We are so screwed.

Wink

Well, I'm glad that I've been bombarded with replies during the last twelve hours. I've asked for information on how to get a secured section for the "Ferengi" team so that we can start working.

I've already started to work on: Ferengi advantages/disadvantages, special traits, technology, philosophy, and tactics (mostly business... of course).

I have access to many of the same resources that everyone else has, but I'm sure we will have to do a little creative extrapolation-- especially since I propose some rules regarding trade and commerce.

I think it's important to note that though replicators virtually eliminate poverty on Federation core worlds, along the Cardassian DMZ and the Romulan Neutral Zone colonists rely more heavily on small trade. My reasoning is that small independent traders are more likely to drop by on a reguar basis than the "monthly" or "bi-monthtly" Federation freighter.

This changes economics somewhat.

I'd also like to add that I do have a copy of FASA's old "Trader Captain's and Merchant Princes" for the old ST game. It might help us a little in this regard.

We may also consider changing some of the Reknown categories for Ferengi, simply because the motives of their society are not really compatible with Federation or Romulan thinking.

Keep that feedback flowing.

"Never let family come before profit!"

Wink

Well, I'm glad that I've been bombarded with replies during the last twelve hours. I've asked for information on how to get a secured section for the "Ferengi" team so that we can start working.

I've already started to work on: Ferengi advantages/disadvantages, special traits, technology, philosophy, and tactics (mostly business... of course).

I have access to many of the same resources that everyone else has, but I'm sure we will have to do a little creative extrapolation-- especially since I propose some rules regarding trade and commerce.

I think it's important to note that though replicators virtually eliminate poverty on Federation core worlds, along the Cardassian DMZ and the Romulan Neutral Zone colonists rely more heavily on small trade. My reasoning is that small independent traders are more likely to drop by on a reguar basis than the "monthly" or "bi-monthtly" Federation freighter.

This changes economics somewhat.

I'd also like to add that I do have a copy of FASA's old "Trader Captain's and Merchant Princes" for the old ST game. It might help us a little in this regard.

We may also consider changing some of the Reknown categories for Ferengi, simply because the motives of their society are not really compatible with Federation or Romulan thinking.

Keep that feedback flowing.

"Never let family come before profit!"

Lightbulb

Well if your going to devolop it, heres the book title myself and Dr Bashier came up with!

'Lust for Latinum'; The Ferengi Sourcebook.

I have a Ferengi Accountant template designed (which BTW is the basis for a Liquidator, which is just a case of Government Rank)

But I need to adjust my Ferengi shuttles to Spacedock rules...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts froma random mind!"

Thumbs up

OK, first thing I'll do is knock out a bunch of character creation packages. I'll use the DS9 format: Overlays (36DP), Early Life (5DP), Advanced Training (9DP) and Professional Packages (10DP). I'll also take a stab at the Energy Whip and Thought Maker device.

I'll report back on wednesday.

LQ

------------------
    "No one controls me. I'm uncontrollable. The only one who can control me is me... and that's just barely possible!" -John Lennon

[This message has been edited by Liquidator Queeg (edited 12-11-2000).]

ArsenicMan:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! Someone took the lead for it! I'm able to collaborate with you, from History to culture, economy, analysis of the Acquisition rules, commercial law, physiology, anything you need.

Count me in.

And I was leaning toward "Greed is Eternal" as a book name.

------------------
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

Livonia, Michigan, US; Holder of the Steve Long Pink Elephant for SRM Volume 2: The Cardassian Empire Testreading

#1. No problem. I'm happy to help. Now, I have to go rewrite for the third time the outline for "Operation: Stormbird" since Word keeps on crashing...

#2. "Greed is Eternal" is probably a better name, especially if someone eventually writes "The Latinum Main" - don't want to get the two confused!

#3. Here is a general outline of the book, including chapter titles.

<ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #10</li>[*]“Once you have their money, you never give it back”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #1</li>[*]Introduction</li>[/list][*]Part One – “Knowledge equals profit”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #74</li>[*]The Ferengi</li>[*]Chapter One – “Never confuse wisdom with luck”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #44</li>[*]History of the Ferengi Alliance</li>[/list][*]Chapter Two – “The best deal is the one that brings the most profit”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #2</li>[*]Ferengi economy</li>[/list][*]Chapter Three – “Wives serve, brothers inherit”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #139</li>[*]Ferengi society and customs</li>[*]Ferengi jobs</li>[/list][*]Chapter Four – “Hear all, trust nothing”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #19</li>[*]The Ferengi Commerce Authority</li>[/list][*]Chapter Five – “When no appropriate Rule applies, make one up”</li>
    <ul>[*]The Unwritten Rule of Acquisition</li>[*]The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition</li>[/list][*]Chapter Six – “Never allow family to stand in the way of opportunity”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #6</li>[*]Typical Ferengi upbringing</li>[/list][*]Chapter Seven – “Never ask when you can take”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #52</li>[*]Ferengi tactics & combat</li>[/list][*]Chapter Eight – “Possession is 11/10 of the law”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #219</li>[*]Ferengi vessels, in Spacedock format</li>[/list][*]Chapter Nine – “Satisfaction is not guaranteed”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #19</li>[*]Ferengi equipment</li>[/list][/list][*]Part Two – “There is no substitute for success”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #58</li>[*]Ferengi characters</li>[*]Chapter Ten – “There are many paths to profit”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #92</li>[*]Ferengi character creation</li>[/list][*]Chapter Eleven – “There is no substitute for success”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #58</li>[*]Ferengi traits</li>[/list][/list][*]Part Three – “Deep down, everyone's a Ferengi”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #284</li>[*]Ferengi adventures</li>[*]Chapter Thirteen – “Profit is its own reward”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #41</li>[*]Ferengi adventure #1</li>[/list][*]Chapter Thirteen – “Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit”</li>
    <ul>[*]Rule of Acquisition #162</li>[*]The second Ferengi adventure</li>[/list][/list][/list]

#4. I fixed the title of the third book.

------------------
    This is our last, best hope for peace? We are so screwed.

[This message has been edited by ArsenicMan (12-11-2000) to fix HTML code.]

[This message has been edited by ArsenicMan (12-11-2000) to add the society info in the outline).]

[This message has been edited by ArsenicMan (12-12-2000) to move the society information, and to add the FCA and the adventure.]

[This message has been edited by ArsenicMan (edited 12-12-2000) to change it into a 3-"book" structure, and delete outdated info]

[This message has been edited by ArsenicMan (edited 12-21-2000).]

Question

ArsenicMan,

Where would you want to stick info on Ferengi society & customs--such as death rituals & religion? Chapter 1, 4 or 7?

I'd be more than happy to take a shot at that topic, along with anyone else interested.

LQ

------------------