Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The road to Decipher Trek continues...

I've just read Don's article about the forthcoming game.

Okay, firstly I have to say that I trust the former LUGers with the Star Trek RPG than I do Paramount with the next series.

It all sounds pretty good and well though out. Maybe the loss of points in character generation is a simplifying thing, but it sounds as though there will be less flexibility.

As for classes, the comparison seems irrelevant to me. If a character's abilities are based on the skills they aquire and not on based purely on their profession, then I'll be happy. If there is a diverse selection of packages, aloowing a good deal of variety in character creation, that's all I ask.

Format: two core books and invidual series books. Sounds good but expebsive. Though I'll probably buy 'em all.

As for the supplements: Klingons at last! While the LUG books were good, some of it was dull. The species treatments could definately do with a little paring down. So I'm all for it.

And "Engage". Not a moment too soon.

Greg, who's appetite is thouroughly whetted.

Question

Wow. I'm speechless. I am without speech.

The article left me with more questions than answers! It seems the system will be a mixture between ICON and d20. Again, I haven't that much experience with roleplaying (knowing just five or six systems: GURPS, ICON, D&D, d20, Vampire...), so I can be soooo wrong.

But I'm clueless, Don. You left me standing in the middle of the road asking for directions.

But I'm not anxious, provided that your announcement will surely come earlier in time period than the Series V one.

The worst thing of all: I can't imagine the game system! And I found the final gameline structure weird. A main players' book and a narrators' book, gathering the four series each. Why does everything sound so similar to d20?

------------------
    Chakotay: You didn't poison my coffee, did you?
    Janeway: Not any more than I usually do.
    "The Voyager Conspiracy", Voyager

Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dr. Jonas Bashir:
    The article left me with more questions than answers!</font>
    Such as?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> It seems the system will be a mixture between ICON and d20.</font>
    I don't think that's either accurate nor fair. Sure, I see some comparisions with d20, but then, I can name a few games that remind me of d20 that were published prior to d20.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The worst thing of all: I can't imagine the game system!</font>

I was intentionally vague – as I said, many aspects are still being designed/tweaked. Need to save additional details until after the playtest, the second round of development, and closer to what the final game will look like.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And I found the final gameline structure weird. A main players' book and a narrators' book, gathering the four series each. Why does everything sound so similar to d20?</font>
    ‘Cause you’re envisioning it that way. I find it humorous to give grief regarding this method – the current TrekRPGNet poll has 80% of 1000 votes supporting a two-book format. Plus, I remember a few years ago a number of people giving LUG grief for reprinting all the rules in each individual book and a $35 per book buy-in.

Proof that you can’t please everyone!

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Thanks for the heads-up Don. I am looking forward to the future release of the new game. I liked the majority of what I saw in your article, one book covering the basics of the all series. However, and I realize this could change as you said. The one point that bothers me the most is the books covering the other races, Vulcan, Andorian, Tellerite, Etc. not being race specific(ie one book per race). Where as I like core rules in as few books as possible (preferably one book) I do like in depth information in sourcebooks. Having multiple races, 15+ per book if I remember you article correctly, in one book just isn't able to scratch the surface...My experience with this style is the info is repeated from the core book with very little extra info added. Alot of words, saying very little.

It also seems to me that they might have made the system a little over complex, but I might have miss understood the part of your article that talked about character gen.

Anyway thanks again. Keep up the good work.

Don't worry, I've recovered from my little crisis of faith. I used to complain to myself about others who bite the hand that feeds them when that hand is Paramount, but what I did yesterday is much worse. I believe that the new game will be excellent. I see things in the description that I and other fans had asked for. I had completely forgotten about Engage! So are we invited to ask questions?

Question

Questions and comments are certainly welcome and appreciated. However, don’t expect me to answer or go into much greater detail than what is in the article, because, as I’ve said, there are many aspects that Decipher (Christian) is not prepared to get into at this time.

Maybe Steve will share some additional info, but I’ve been asked to hold back on really any more specific details.

Phantom, re: Chargen. I would say it’s easier than Icon, but more flexible and gives you a greater degree of control. It is, literally, a 1-2-3-4 step process.

So, online chat tonight?

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Just the term "picks" kinda of confused me, that's all. It sounds like the ICON system, but not.

Like I said, looking forward to seeing it in print.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Maybe Steve will share some additional info, but I’ve been asked to hold back on really any more specific details.</font>
    No, I'm not going to say anything more. What can be said, has been said.

Steve Long

Thanks Don. I found it to be just enough information to give me ideas, but not enough to spill anything. Kudos.

I'll admit that I'm one of those that has concern over "Classes" or "Professions" or whatever. Until I see y'all's take on them though, I'll withhold judgement.

This is what I see the difference between a Template and a Class. A Template is something that I can use to tell me approximately what the character should look like. A Class is something that tells me what the character is. A Profession could be something in between.

I trust you guys. But I'm pretty sure, Don, that you didn't have me in mind when you wrote what you did. I figure I'll be one of the first to complain, that'll get it out into the open so it can be dealt with.

Again, thanks for the heads up.

Alex

Question number one: Does Red Alert have a future?

Question number two: If Red Alert has a future, is it with Decipher?

Question number three: Are wish lists taken under consideration?

Question number four: Is there a policy saying that wish lists cannot be taken into consideration?

Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cochrane:
    Question number one: Does Red Alert have a future?</font>
    Note: I am not an official representative of Decipher, Inc.

Decipher does own the rights for Star Trek disk-based games, as granted by Paramount, however I believe they would have to negotiate with Fantasy Flight Games for the use of the disk mechanic, much like LUG did. So, it would require a willingness on both Decipher and Fantasy Flight Games’ parts. This is all speculation.

RedAlert!, the product published by Wizards/LUG has no future. There could be a future product similar in scope and designed by the same team, however, under the Decipher banner. It would not be the same game (Wizards owns that) and wouldn’t be called RedAlert! either.

I’ll ask.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Question number two: If Red Alert has a future, is it with Decipher?</font>
    RedAlert! has no future aside from fan support. Wizards can’t support it (they don’t have the Star Trek license anymore). Decipher is the only company that could create a disk-based game, unless they sub-licensed their rights to another company(unlikely) . Now if Wizards were to sell the rights of RedAlert! to Decipher (who has the actual license), under those conditions, RedAlert! could pick up where it left off. The chances of this are so remote that I’m sorry for even raising your hopes by mentioning it.

It’s a fun game that got caught in a really unfortunate situation.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Question number three: Are wish lists taken under consideration?</font>
    I don’t see why not – that’s essentially what the playtesters are doing – providing a “wish list” of changes. Post them in a public forum, such as TrekRPGNet, and if they’re read then you’ve been successful.

In short: it can't hurt.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Question number four: Is there a policy saying that wish lists cannot be taken into consideration?</font>
    Not to my knowledge. TrekRPGNet will be running a number of polls in the future and Christian has said he’s interested in seeing the results (i.e. your collective wishes).

Don’t misconstrue a “wish list” with unsolicited material – that is not accepted.

I’ll ask the next time I speak with Christian (unless he visits and posts here), but I believe my interpretation of these issues is probably pretty accurate.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Talking

Hey All,

Thanks for the news, Don! I haven't played Trek since November, and just in the last week I've gotten new RPG and RA! games together! Everything's coming up Trek.

When LUG went under I snatched up all the Trek books that were left around, which combines with the new series I'm starting to make this question: Conversion.

I'm excited about a new system, and it all sounds good. Will there be a conversion process for existing characters, etc.?

And now I'm left with a troubling problem: start my new Icon series, or hold out until GenCon or Fast Play rules?

word,
    will
    (positively giddy!)

Question

Thanks for the scoop, Don.

While I feel a bit skeptical of the new game's apparent shift away from Narrativism (is that even a word? ), I remain optimistic about the smoother char gen and game mechanics. Although, I should point out that the Narrative aspect--the "High GM Trust" shall we say--aspect of ICON was its selling point for me.

Anyway, on to the questions...

In Past, Present, & Future, Part II (09-26-2000) Don wrote:

So, back to the future. Last time around I said that TrekRPGNet would continue to support Icon Trek. I continue to stand by this statement. In fact, now that there will be no D20 Star Trek (for the foreseeable future), support for Icon Trek is needed now more than ever.

As for Decipher, I don't know. It isn't even known if there really will be a third Star Trek game, or when. As for supporting it, that's difficult to say. How can I commit to support a game that doesn't yet exist?

Again, you, the visitors, drive these issues. If Decipher's game is the greatest thing since sliced bread and no one want to play/support Icon Trek anymore, then TrekRPGNet will have to adapt to survive. Likewise, if support for Icon Trek remains strong, I see no reason why TrekRPGNet can't continue to provide you with all your Star Trek gaming needs.

OK, now that we all know that there is another Trek game--and even know some of its design structure thanks to your article, Don--will TrekRPGNet eventually shift its support to the new Decipher game? Or do you envision TrekRPGNet becoming a sort of "Five Roleplaying Games, One Website" amalgam of all that is Trek gaming? By this, I mean remaining devoted to LUG Trek but ushering in fan support of the new Decipher game as well.

Or, to answer a single question Don, is the last paragraph I quoted above going to remain the course by which TrekRPGNet steers the digital stars?

I realize that it's all too early to really say with any degree of certainty. Ideally, I think an amalgam of both systems would be the best option for TrekRPGNet's web presence and popularity. As a Trek gaming fan, however, I know that I have NO intention of abandoning LUG Trek. I have way too much invested in the game, both emotionally and financially, to do that.

Perhaps some others have opinons on the future of TrekRPGNet to share?

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steven A Cook (edited 04-25-2001).]

If this website will cover Icon and Decipher, will it also cover FASA and Prime Directive?

Will Decipher approach maps differently from Icon?

This one may be unacceptable, but might we see the map that would have been in the Icon Klingon book and will you have to come up with entirely new maps for planets and space?

Does Decipher have the right to put out books on exact themes promised by Icon, but with completely different details? Such as Rigel?

Happy now... ...finger tapping...

It all sounds more or less what I wanted - thanx for the update!

Personally, I'm hoping that if the Klingons get their own book, so will the Romulans and Cardassians.

One q (if you can answer it) - beyond the official canon stuff and remembering the discussions over licences a few months ago, is there any continuity between the LUG and Decipher versions as regards background? Or will this have to be completely new?

------------------
    Slartibart-Jon

[This message has been edited by Imagus (edited 04-26-2001).]