Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Web Site Development Status

and a URL ? it worries me yesterday when i did a search in google and they call came up in French
    Ta Muchly

Oops

www.spip.net

There's an English part of the site out there.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Originally posted by KillerWhale
    Even Mambo, which still looks interesting, doesn't have this level of automation.
    Sure it does. Content is enitrely different then the presentation layer. You can change templates on the fly and have the content auto-flow. Heck, you can change tempaltes on a per-user basis with the same effect.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Yes, but what are the typographical shortcuts available? As far as I see you still have to type all the HTML if you want to do tables.

Yes, but what are the typographical shortcuts available? As far as I see you still have to type all the HTML if you want to do tables.
    The default editor is the Rich Test WYSIWYG editor; you can turn that off. You can use HTML or the Mambo code. For example, {mosimage} is used to tell Mambo where to place graphics in your content and {mospagebreak} instructs Mambo to create a page break in your content.

However, this wasn't my point; I was refuting your implication that if you change your layout (white text on a lime green background) that all your content was static and required you to change everything.

And if you decide to change the graphical charter of the site, what happens? You just have to redo all the layout!
    This isn't the case with Mambo.

- Don
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Oops

www.spip.net

There's an English part of the site out there.
    There a demo anywhere?

- Don
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Points taken about Mambo In fact, the one feature that I'm really interested in when it comes to editing is tables. Does Mambo do that easily or do you have to type the HTML? AFAIS, there's no meta command in it for tables in the WYSIWYG editor...

About SPIP: well, it's difficult to do a demo site as you can do anything with it (templates are as customizable as HTML). There are sites running under it referenced here: http://www.spip.net/en

The site of Le Monde Diplomatique, a highly renowed French magazine about diplomacy, society and politics, runs under SPIP: http://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/

And (shameless plug) my own site now runs under it: http://www.btvs-rpg.net (Note that I'm not using the full power of the software yet, as I'm learning my way through templates; I reused and developed an already existing template)

Points taken about Mambo In fact, the one feature that I'm really interested in when it comes to editing is tables. Does Mambo do that easily or do you have to type the HTML? AFAIS, there's no meta command in it for tables in the WYSIWYG editor...
    I don't think Mambo does tables at all! (Not sure, honestly.)

The best part about Mambo is that it's soooooooo user-friendly. After working with Typo3 and EZpublish it was a dream come true. The plug-ins and Mambo components enhance functionality greatly. There's a plugin for PayPal donations and a random CafePress 'purchase item' for example. Much like the *-Nukes.

Mambo just has a very solid core, excellent design and flexibility, and an ease-of-use that makes it an overall very attractive package. You can probably find individual packages that do individual things better.

Thanks for the links; I'll check them out.

- Don
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Sounds like I will have a lot of testing to do. However, i don't think I qualify to test if anything is easy to use. After all, I think that Vi/Vim is a nice tool.

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    There a demo anywhere (for SPIP)?

- Don
    Yes at http://www.opensourcecms.com/

Mambo do support tables, it is available if WYSIWYG is set to advanced. It is also possible to turn off the WYSIWYG and hard code everything. But turning on/off the editor seems to affect everyone...

/Magnus

Really?! That's awesome! But it's nowhere in the documentation...

A short update, as I have mostly been hidden down at engineering, the bridge or in the Jefferies tubes.

The initial web team is formed.
    The members are:
    Ineti
    Dr. Jonas Bashir
    Liquidator Queeg
    Spshu
    and myself.

I have also asked Don to take a look at the vBulletin upgrade, and he will do it if he has the time. I have instead been focusing on installing a new server and testing CMS systems.

I have started with testing Mambo as it seems to be more powerful than Spip, but not as complicated as Typo3. What I have found out so far:

The WYSIWYG editor appears to handle most of what is needed (including tables). But if there is need of something else, a part can be selected and opened in a pop-up window as editable html code. So there is still flexibility.

Integration with vBulletin seems to exist, but not available at the moment. But there is a hack to import vBulletin 2.3 users to Mambo. Multi-site support is planned for version 5 (current version is 4.5.1) but there is some hacks out there.

The submission function I have found so far is about submitting articles. If there is a way to submit files, and select meta data from a pre defined set, it is something I have not found yet. Can't say that I have found the manual helpful either.

I believe that Mambo is quite close to what is needed. But it will probably need some customization. To bad I don't know php ...yet

Next step is to check out Typo3, to see if it adds anything useful along with the complexity.

On a semi-related note, can we have the ranks back? I miss the ranks.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    On a semi-related note, can we have the ranks back? I miss the ranks.
    From the discussion so far, it seems that all the admin team would like to see the "Starfeet" ranks back in one form or another.

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."