Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Web Site Development Status

Let me get the vB3 running and we'll talk. I think there's a strong chance of ranks returning; we'll all talk Magnus into it.

[Edit: Helps if I spell his name correctly.]

- Don
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Yay! Good news.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

As usual have I been down at engineering to much. A irritating bug, that prevented the use of the verification image on my server, has been taken care of. If there is not any more strange behaviors, will we be able to upgrade the live forums as soon as the templates are converted. Unfortunately do I not have any time estimate on the conversion.

And yes, spelling my name right helps a little

/Magnus

Hey commanding team, is there any news about the site?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

It has been quiet on the bridge.

But a situation has arrose that is taking up some time on Cpt. Lundgren thus his silence.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Hm, I hope everything is well for you guys...

Originally posted by KillerWhale
    Hm, I hope everything is well for you guys...
    Tommorrow is USA's Thanksgiving Day starting a four day weekend (and launching the holiday season), so Don, Ineti may be not here do to that. Don and Cpt. Lundgren last I knew was working on converting the styles to vB3. Ineti and L.Q. are working on columns. Ineti is starting a new job soon. And the situation I mention that Cpt. Lundgren is dealing with has to do with the site. Bashir, who knows?

If you have any suggestion KillerWhale or anyone else, we -- or at least I -- would like to read them.

What kind of columns would you like?
    Would you want interviews with the creative staff behind the RPGs?
    Last edited by spshu; 12-03-2004 at 05:22 PM.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

The situation in question is dealt with. But I have been a little bit to busy with to many things at once. Don has unfortunately been to busy as well, so I have dived into vB3 and have converted the current styles to the new version. With some luck do I not scare the rest of the staff to much, with my attempt to use a color palette.

When it comes to the site and content system will I have to make a quick reevaluation of Mambo/Docman. Mambo made a enough changes between 4.5 and 4.5.1 to break most modules, including Docman. The latest news on Docman is that it will not be ready until after new year.

Thanks for the update! It's cool to know things keep going fine. I'm eager to see the new site

If you have any suggestion KillerWhale or anyone else, we -- or at least I -- would like to read them.
    Well, thanks! Hmm, I have to say if much content for every Trek RPG could be hosted, I'd already be very happy. Actually, I'd love this place to become again the "one stop" for Trek RPGing.

What kind of columns would you like?
    In content? Something quite close to the forums breakdown we have here, only geared towards content, and not system. For example:
    - Characters
    - Starships
    - Essays
    - House Rules
    - Planets
    - Races

and not, you know, CODA, FASA, etc. I think our ideas should crosspollinate, regardless of our gaming system.

Whould you want interviews with the creative staff behind the RPGs?
    That'd be cool!
    I'd also like to know what the Trek franchise creative staff think of RPGs, Trek gaming and so on; it'd be interesting to see our two worlds meet more often.

Keep up the cool work! I wish you the best!
    Last edited by KillerWhale; 12-03-2004 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerWhale
    Thanks for the update! It's cool to know things keep going fine. I'm eager to see the new site

Well, thanks! Hmm, I have to say if much content for every Trek RPG could be hosted, I'd already be very happy. Actually, I'd love this place to become again the "one stop" for Trek RPGing.
    So do Lundgren and I.

(replying to columns)In content? Something quite close to the forums breakdown we have here, only geared towards content, and not system. For example:
    - Characters
    - Starships
    - Essays
    - House Rules
    - Planets
    - Races

and not, you know, CODA, FASA, etc. I think our ideas should crosspollinate, regardless of our gaming system.
    We are looking at monthly; hopely so we have one per week. About two or three columns that are moving forward: one with Ferengi point of view, Trekcraft (Dungeon craft for Trek) and Creating a Netbook. The interviews (if we can pull them off) might be slot in with the columns to fill the weeks of the month up.

I think we should be crosspollinating. I was thinking that some how we would develop conversion teams so after some submits say an alien in Icon the teams would be notified and it would be converted to FASA, Coda, GURPS Prime Directive or any system that has a following and we could get a team for.

(reply about interviews) That'd be cool!
    I'd also like to know what the Trek franchise creative staff think of RPGs, Trek gaming and so on; it'd be interesting to see our two worlds meet more often.

Keep up the cool work! I wish you the best!
    So you want interviews with say Manny Coto , Will Weaton, episode writers, directors, producers -- past and present. We probably could get Will Weaton as he writes a column for Dragon and is a gamer. Making contact with others might be a problem and getting them to agree to an interview, I am sure this is not high on their priorty list.

Any other suggestions?

About the interviews, I do imagine finding people like Coto will be quite difficult... But it'd be cool. On the other end of the spectrum, maybe interviews with people active in the fan community could be nice (especially with Trek as Decipher left the community high and dry to fend for itself).

As for the system conversions, I don't think it shoud be a priority: what matters IMO is the core spirit of the material offered; GMs can design their own stats if they wish. What could be interesting however would be generic conversion rules from one system to any other.

Actually here's an idea.. You mention netbooks... Well howabout you create a set of Netbook tools.. a repository of fonts, images (perhaps with their own forum thread for someone wanting a certain image...) EPS based templates - perhaps even Pagemaker/Word/Indesign/Quark based templates complete with the font selection and background art etc in place, help on questions and layout and even artists and designers willing to help out making up plans / maps / character art etc.. make it easier to make up netbooks and have collectives to work on larger projects (like a series book) This might encourage people to put together their own! Some people are good at one thing, others at others.. Some people have great Google-Fu for finding images, and some are good at writing, but not both, so help them by combining allot in one place.

Just a thought..
    Ta Muchly

Yes, please. Netbook pack idea seconded. Considering I'm in the midst of writing one.
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

I'm not usually the impatient type but just wondering where things stand?
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

yep, I posted my cunning idea.. and one other person replied and the thread went dead! Trust me I know how hard work a CMS website can be, but I'm curious to know the progress.

I'm currently working with mambo (read depseratelly trying to work it out ) so if you go down that route I might even be able to help.. once I help myself (and ditto if anyone is willing to help me PLEASE do! )
    Ta Muchly