Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Web Site Development Status

At this time, a Mambo module that would be used in uploading documents to the CMS site is not out of beta with no date given. It looks like Cpt. Lundgren is going to put the old site up with modificate towards multiple systems.
    Last edited by spshu; 03-05-2005 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Hmm that's annoying. Which module is it and can't a workaround be done?
    Ta Muchly

The mambo module that I have been waiting for is the DocMan addon. The change between Mambo 4.5 and 4.5.1 broke the functionality for a lot of modules, including DocMan. The DocMan schedule has been slipping, and the latest is that there is no date for the the First release candidate. But an earlier abandoned add-on, ReMOSitory, seems to have found a new maintainer. Both are file/document management modules.

A lot of my time spent on TrekRPGNet since new year has been installing a lot of security patches. The worm that hit FBR have made a lot of developer focused on security. So I have had a lot of fun.

Because of the delay to get a CMS up and running, I will put the old site back up. There few modifications to be made first. Mainly updating "Site Information," "Submission Information" and contact information. Thanks to Owen will the old ICON material be available here again.

Other changes are a "General LotR Chat" forum, a forum about staying in character and other issues relating to playing a role, a forum about other role playing settings and systems, and a political forum (I have already created the forum, but I have not let anyone in. As long this is how much it will be noticed to everyone who do not want to be reminded of politics, it has a good chance to be opened and remain that way).

When it comes to the layout have Spshu changed the blue menu bar to red on the test forum. KillerWhale made a "Post Reply" button with the LCARS font. Depending on his available time, we might see a full set replacing the blue buttons. But as he has his own site and forum to prioritize, it might not be much time left to spare.

Short about how the political forum will work
    * The purpose is to be able to share ideas and learn about other points of view. Not as a ranting space or a playing field for political agendas.
    * Hidden. Requesting access will be through the user control panel.
    * Minimum requirement is to have been a forum member for at least 3 month and having at least 10 post with some substance in it.
    * "Play nice" will be the most important rule (The forum TOS applies to the political forum as well).
    * There will be a hard coded limit on how many posts someone can make during a certain time period. This will be tweaked with the intent to be high enough to allow a discussion, but low enough to inhibit flames.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    I'm currently working with mambo (read depseratelly trying to work it out ) so if you go down that route I might even be able to help.. once I help myself (and ditto if anyone is willing to help me PLEASE do! )
    PM me with what you are struggling with at the moment. Maybe we can help eachother.

It is time for two major changes to the site.
    The first one is that the old site is reopened. There is also a link available from http://www.trek-rpg.net.
    The second one is a policy change. Political discussions are now again allowed on TrekRPGNet. But only in the forum "Sarek's Lounge."

Spshu are working on an updated transporter room for the old site and KillerWhale are working on some replacement buttons for the forums. Tobian has also joined us behind the scenes and will help me with the CMS. So maybe I soon will find some breathing space and start looking on ranks, avatars and smilies again.

Nice to see the old site back up again, Capt.!

And thanks for the political boards! I know that I'll do my best to be good. Seriously, I'm sure that the others here will, too.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

People misbehave! Never!

Ok let's hope so.

The old site is cool, I agree, it's what drew me here in the first place! Definatelly some memories there.
    Ta Muchly

Question

Any updates on the new site?

I love the old site, btw-- it fills me with nostalgia.
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you've read it in the original Klingon text."
    - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

We are still waiting on the DocMan addon. So we are putting all the old site's icon material and news in the CMS. We have all the adventures, personnel, spieces and ships in the CMS's database.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Question Slower board functions?

Hey guys.

I have noticed in the last few days that in some cases the boards load much slower for me than they used to. Is this just me or could there be in any case a connection to the server maintenance done some time ago?

A tiny bit. Never gave it any thought though.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Hm... nothing that I have noticed until you mentioned it. As I reverted the change I tried to do to PHP, only the forum software got upgraded. But the new small changes to the frontend adds to the amount of bytes that are sent. So it adds to the transfer and rendering of the pages.

They have also changed how some things work internally (gave me some headache when moving over the "road-bump" code for Sarek's lounge) but I have not detected any apparent change in load because of this.

I can take a look at it and see I can tweak some settings. But I am not to optimistic that it is something I can affect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren
    I can take a look at it and see I can tweak some settings. But I am not to optimistic that it is something I can affect.
    It doesn't happen all the time and if I just hit "f5" and reload the page or wait some seconds. Don't bother, just wanted to ask if it was on my end of things or a board thing.

Well, I will keep an eye on it in case I notice something on the server side.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Lundgren
    Well, I will keep an eye on it in case I notice something on the server side.
    That's more than I could have asked for. Thanks