Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what are we listening to these days?

Question So what are we listening to these days?

Haven't seen one of these threads in a while (unless I'm blind!), so what music is everyone listening to these days? I'm always on the lookout for new music to get.

Sampling from the Queegster's current playlists:

Don't Fear the Reaper: Best of Blue Oyster Cult by the same

American Idiot by Green Day

Stupid World, Stupid Songs a collection of Dayglo Abortions tunes

Houses of the Mole by Ministry

Contraband by Velvet Revolver

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

I've been listening to a lot of jazz lately, especially Charles Mingus. I strongly recommnend "Mingus Ah Um" and "Let My Children Hear Music". Also been listening to Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue".

On the rock side, I've been listening to a remastered "The Final Cut" by Pink Floyd (with a song that never made the album but appeared in the movie "The Wall" - "When the Tigers Broke Free".) I've also been listening to David Bowie's "Reality" - one of his few recent albums that I've really enjoyed.

My two-year old daughter seems to enjoy listening to Jem's "Finally Woken". Whenever she sees my iPod she wants to use it so she can listen to Jem - or sometimes Mingus.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

This linky leads to my web page, where I have a all-time faves list, for for reference.

Major things of late, though:

Flogging Molly
    Diana Krall
    Metallica
    Rush
    Cowboy Bebop
    Star Wars scores
    Rammstein
    Evanescence
    Steve Vai
    Skanking Pickle
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Oh, and Beatallica

Originally posted by Sho-sa Kurita
    Oh, and Beatallica
    ROFLMAO!!!

Oh man, that's f***ing hilarious! Thanks so much for the link.

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Originally posted by Liquidator Queeg
    ROFLMAO!!!

Oh man, that's f***ing hilarious! Thanks so much for the link.

LQ
    Yeah, it's pretty hard to beat, especially if you like both bands.

Re: So what are we listening to these days?

Originally posted by Liquidator Queeg

Haven't seen one of these threads in a while (unless I'm blind!), so what music is everyone listening to these days?
    Local music made in Hawaii (traditional and contemporary). I want to avoid mainland sound for now.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Mostly old favorites (Ramones, Cowboy Junkies, Sisters of Mercy, Kate Bush, U2, Midnight Oil, Talking Heads, REM) mixed with newer stuff (Garbage, Evanescence, Fiona Apple, Train, No Doubt, Bare Naked Ladies) and funky instrumental pieces (Philip Glass, Brian Eno, Christopher Franke, Mannheim Steamroller).
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Re: Re: So what are we listening to these days?

Originally posted by REG
    Local music made in Hawaii (traditional and contemporary). I want to avoid mainland sound for now.
    I live in Austin, and today is Stevie Ray Vaughan's 50th birthday, so you can imagine what kind of local music I'll be listening to today :-)

In the realm of instrumental stuff - Ive been digging Orbital

Nightwish is my current obsession.
    Uruz - Alexander Skrabut - uruzrune@gmail.com

Tom Waits is the man, although I acknowledge frely it is an acquired taste. Takes a bit to get used to, but once you do you're hooked: Beautiful Maladies, Mule Variations, swordfishtrombones, Alice... that plus a half-dozen more on the MP3 player, all very cool

I recently bought an older album from Lyle Lovett as well with different movie songs, very sharp if you skip the gospel sections. His Mack the Knife is a little slower than I prefer.

Detroit Cobras.
    Supreme Beings of Leisure.
    Buster Hymen and the Penetrators.

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks as well on the morning commute. For long drives that is a great thing, I usually don't make the attempt for shorter hops.
    "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

My mentor in all things, as always: Julio Iglesias.

Here at work we've discovered the musical genius of Leonard Nimoy, and our fav is "Highly Illogical"

Since recently I tend to paint a lot so I put on Gilbert&Sullivan operas, like HMS Pinafore, The Mikado or the Pirates of Penzence.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

Currently, and in no particular order:

Evanescence,
    Metallica,
    REM,
    Monty Python (The Instant Record Collection),
    Old Iron Maiden Albums (I'm old, so what!),
    oh, and an album called 'Gravelands'. Gravelands is a bunch of songs sung by an Elvis impersonator. All the songs are by bands whose members are dead or have members who are dead. (EG Thin Lizzy, Lynrd Skynrd, Nirvana etc) and performed in the style of 'The King'. It kinda suits my warped sensahumour

:-)

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

Originally posted by Tas II
    Old Iron Maiden Albums (I'm old, so what!)

Tas
    Glad to see there are still fans around! I'm actually listening to Live After Death as I write this.

Tell me why I have to be a powerslave ...

LQ

Back from a fifteen year hiatus (although two albums were released in that time), the return of Tears For Fears and their new album, Everybody Loves A Happy Ending!

They've been hitting the late night shows the past few weeks and begin a US tour later this month. I had the good fortune to see them on a mini-acoustical tour this summer when they stopped by Salt Lake City. One of the best moments of my life.

For more information, visit their web site.

- Don
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride