Thread: Wormholes during the 22:d century

Wormholes during the 22:d century

Is wormholes a known phenomena during the 22:d century?
    What would happen if the crew of a NX-ship would encounter a wormhole?
    Please try to not spoil any major events of the third enterprise season (I live in Sweden).
    What have we come to if you can't demand sexual favours from the people in your employ? - Quark (The Dogs of War)

I don't recall anything dealing with wormholes as anything other than a astronomical phenomena in NX-Era. the vulcans might know...or perhaps and enginner who does some odd projections ona warp simulator
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

So even an experienced Vulcan scientist would be unsure if they would find a wormhole in open space?
    What have we come to if you can't demand sexual favours from the people in your employ? - Quark (The Dogs of War)

The Vulcans probably know about them...but they aren't sharing that information readily (the Vulcans in NX-Era are buncha prats), but it may be they haven't seen one as of yet since they are very careful when they build they ships. They may have the math for it, but as to have actually seen one....they may not have is my guess
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

It's possible for an unbalanced warp field to produce a wormhole. Surely the mathmatics describing warp fields would indicate that, at least as a theoretical possibility.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

its hard to know really. The Vulcan's rhetoric of the era is that 'timetravel is not possible' - and you can infer from that that they do not believe in wormholes, which can transcend any dimension (including the usual space and time one's ! ) as something other than a scientific model, however the further out they go the more anomalies they run in too. The Phonomena encountered in Xindo space were a little like wormholes, but then not.

As with the unballanced warp field thing.. we know that warp drives in the 23rd century could have that happen BUT these drives were spacetime drives, and possibly the change in technology also changed the possibility of forming wormholes. Much as during the 24th century the ships used an entirelly different system and that phenomenon was not seen happening again over 3 whole series worth.. so it could just have been a phenomenon of 23rd century drives....

generally speaking there's no reason not to have them encounter a wormhole, they exist all over the place (short unstable one's! - Perhaps they are the first people to explore the Typhon sector (corward, close to the Romulan neutral zone) which is known to be riddled with wierd phenomena.

The problem with 'wormholes' persay is that they are not nice phenomena.. they are a rip in spacetime, where either some wierd technobabble field has formed or a massive gravitational body has collapsed into another one, forming a conduit.. but one which could rip the ship appart in seconds! 'Wormholes' seems to be a very broad category as technically speaking a 'real' wormhole, as described in modern physics, is actually a zero length conduit, you would pass through it and be on the other side instantly.. however these phenomenon are the ship eating type The one's mostly seen in Startrek aren't the messing with your ship type (they are the 'subspace' technobabble type), but then even the Bajoran wormhole is a MASSIVE hazzard to traffic, it was filled with condensed verteron nodes, which almost destroyed the first Galor class ship to pass through it, and badly damaged the Runabout.. it was only because they extensivelly researched it, that they were able to traverse it... much like the Barzan wormhole had been explored with probes several times.... However these thips had SHIELDS, the NX series do not.. so my guess is that an encounter with a regular wormhole would be devastating to an NX era ship!
    Ta Muchly

Whell, I want my players to experience something "weird" and since they are not yet ready for time travel (fourth episode and the second NX-ship), I think a "nice wormhole" is kinda ok.

Borg in the 21:st century

As I wrote the episode it turned out the the wormhole would lead to the Delta Quadrant. And I thoght it was a great opportunity to have the player get a connection to the newer shows.... The Borg.
    What do you think the borg are like in the 21:st century?
    How would a Borg ship of that time preform in combat against a Vulcan combat cruiser?
    And I'm not talking about the "Borg" in regeneration.
    Suggestions? Ideas?

The Borg in the 22nd century would still be a huge problem for your players.. while they may not have the technological sophistication of the Borg in the 24th century, though still exist and would easilly be able to overcome their starship.. as Q said, they have existed for centuries.

It also creates another nasty continuity error 'Regeneration' was bad enough, but yet another contact makes Starfleet command into liars!

There are plenty of other species that exist that wont mess with continutiy and easilly kill the players.. Howabout the Hakonian order, who overthrew Talax, the Trabe, The Krenim, the Ocampans, before the Caretaker destroyed their surface world, The Vidians before the Phage...

Another interesting spin might be to encounter the Hurq.... The Hurq had a homeworld in the Gamma quadrant (strangelly close to the Idran terminus of the Bajoran Wormhole) - it was never exlained ho they got to Qo'nos and yet never visited anyone else... Perhaps a similar stable wormhole formed to the Gamma quadrant close to Klingon space.. maybe they have a wormhole generator of some kind? In this era the still existed.. maybe the players get to see what happened to the Hurq, and why they stopped coming.. maybe they were destroyed by an as yet unheard of race... (which later turns out to be the Early Dominion, which makes sense given the era and location).. that could be an interesting mission..
    Ta Muchly

An Einstein-Rosen bridge - also called a wormhole by some - is precisely what Tobian has said... a portal of no distance allowing something to go in one side and instantly come out the other.

<i>Star Trek</i> has conveniently used the term wormhole to describe any tunnel from one point in spacetime to another. They've also used such terms as interspatial flexure and subspace corridor. I'd guess that - as 21st century humans know about theoretical wormholes and other related phenomena - that those folks in the 22nd century would likewise know of their theoretical extistence.

That is not to say, however, that they have ever seen one. There are believed to be micro-wormholes in the fabric of spacetime, but it is unlikely that 22nd century human or Vulcan technology could detect them. They might not even be able to identify a trek-nological "wormhole" as such right off the bat, even if it was enormous.

So anyway, onto other topics...

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

11. This message has been removed on request by the
    poster