Thread: Request: Christian scripture for episode idea

Request: Christian scripture for episode idea

I was baptized and confirmed Catholic, but I've never felt particularly attached to the failth, and have since slipped away from it. My scripture is rusty, and I was hoping someone here knew their biblical passages.

I'm looking for Judeo-Christian references (any denomination) to the struggle between Heaven and Hell, particularly between angels and demons. The plot idea I have involves a crashed runabout on a remote world where the only living survivor was the 24th century equivilant of a chaplain, and the energy beings that inhabit this world recreated some sort of heaven versus hell scenario to better understand the creature that fell from the sky.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

(And I don't think I need to bring this up, but with flared up tempers and people threatening to leave the boards, I'll make a disclaimer: Please check all bible-thumping and religious posturing at the door. If you try to tell me what I'm doing is disrespectful or if you try to "bring me back to Jesus", I'm going to fling a pile of flaming poop at you. Thank you)
    Uruz - Alexander Skrabut - uruzrune@gmail.com

Best quote I can think of is from John Milton, where Satan says "Better to reign in hell than serve in heav'n. "

I have no particular passages to quote, but you might especially want to check Revelation or Genesis for relevant ideas.

You can also try a word search at www.biblegateway.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

In terms of Games resources, there are several games, which come with extensive materials and research on the subject, which deal with the issues of Heaven and Hell, Angels and Demons etc..

In Nomine being probably the best of examples, but Many White wolf products also heavilly use biblical references, including Hunter the reaconing, Dark ages inquisitor (and the devils due source book on Demons being particularly good!) and many of their other vampire lines (which may have expired by now - the others still remain in print/ many copies on the shelves)

.....Of course I'm supposing that you don't want to buy stuff, and get stuff off the internet for free I will check out the books tonight, as sseveral list films/websites etc that you can look at for related material.

You might want to rent the 'Prophecy' Series of filsm staring Christopher Walken (especially the first) as they deal with the war on Heaven between angels and demons, and for a laugh the film Dogma
    Ta Muchly

Read Milton's "Paradise Lost", or at least the Cliff Notes. (It's a tough book to slog thru!)

Most of the "War in Heaven" idea doesn't come from the bible, but from Milton. Revelation has the only real Biblical references to a celestial war. (Heck, in the Book of Job, Satan visits God in Heaven!)
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Apocalyptic literature in the Bible is what you're seeking I assume. Try these books as possibilities....Daniel 7-12, Joel, Zechariah, Micah for some short brief sections of literature to read. For other story starter ideas from pithy sayings...try: Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Lamentations. Jesus' "woe" sections in Matthew's chapters 11 and 23, and Luke's chapters 6 and 11.

Examples of some that hint Star Trek to me:

Twice the Son of Hell (Matthew 23:15)
    And the Moon to Blood (Joel 2:31)
    Yet the Sea is Never Full (Ecclesiastes 1:7)
    All Who Were Pleasing to the Eye (Lamenations 2:4)

The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Jesus spending 40 days and 40 nights in the desert being tempted by Satan - "I will give you all the Kingdoms of the world if you will prostate yourself before me."

Now add a species like the Talosians to a desert world...

Here's one link to the King James Version (which is public domain):
    http://aol.bartleby.com/108/42/4.html#1

The Temptation of Jesus
    Mt. 4.1-11 · Mk. 1.12, 13
    1 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,

2 being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.

3 And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread.

4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, Deut. 8.3 but by every word of God.

5 And the devil, taking him up into a high mountain, showed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will, I give it.

7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written,
    Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God,
    and him only shalt thou serve. Deut. 6.13

9 And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence:

10 for it is written,
    He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee: Ps. 91.11

11 and in their hands they shall bear thee up,
    lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. Ps. 91.12

12 And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. Deut. 6.16

13 And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

If you are looking for good Biblical References period, there are books that are just references to look for in the Bible. A Biblical Index book (forget what they are called). They have them in the Library and/or go to a Christian Bookstore. Yes, I said go to a Christian Bookstore it is a resource. They can help you find the books you need get their titles and look in the local library. Libraries carry reference materials for all faiths and it is a good place to get what you need. Also look in the Koran and Tora some good reference there. Check out Jedusem Cabalism in the library, the Jewish Faith has some reat references on Angels that Christians use and then some.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.