Thread: FASA Orion books -- opinions?

Post FASA Orion books -- opinions?

Have seen listings for various FASA Orion related products on the web, especially Orion Ruse and Margins of Profit -- are they worth buying, and how much information do they provide about FASA's interpretation of the Orions. Thanks for any information!

PS: Are there other FASA books concerning the Orions...?

Lightbulb

The Orions received quite a bit of coverage in the old FASA game. The three most important supplements dealing with Orions were:

“The Orions” (Duh!) A two-book set that really contains everything you’d ever want.
    “The Triangle” Covers the area of space known as the Triangle where a lot of Orion happenings go on.
    “Trader Captains & Merchant Princes” is the best source on commerce in Star Trek, and as such, contains a lot of info on the Orions and being a trader.

The “Triangle Campaign” is a set of adventures for the Triangle. Not really useful.
    Both “Orion Ruse” and “Margin of Profit” are pretty weak (and thin) adventures. “Margin of Profit” is eight pages of adventure and 36 pages of characters, maps, and ship stats. “Orion Ruse” is only slightly better.

I’m not sure which product listed above comes with the map of the Triangle. It’s highly recommended if you plan on using the Orions and that region of space.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Thanks for the fast and detailed reply.

I had no idea there were so many FASA related orion books. It's a shame that the LUG Orion sourcebook never got printed, which leads to the natural question of whether Decipher will use that material, or create it's own.

I always felt that the Orions were a great foil for trek rpgs, and would love to seem more material on them. hint hint...

The map of the Triangle appears in, of all places, The Triangle. Gee, go figure!

I liked a lot of things about the FASA Orion treatment, but the one thing I never really liked was the Ruddy/Green/Grey business, which I ignored for the most part, treating them a three separate species.

In my old Star Trek: Challenger campaign, the NPC Security Chief was a green Orion named Plessio Boluri.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Owen E Oulton:
    I liked a lot of things about the FASA Orion treatment, but the one thing I never really liked was the Ruddy/Green/Grey business, which I ignored for the most part, treating them a three separate species.</font>
    Ditto.

I know portions of those manuscripts will likely be used, including the Orions. However, with a new system there are lots of more important stuff to get out there first, plus there will not be as many books providing dedicated treatment on a species. (ala just an Orion book)

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Question

I know this is a long shot, but would anyone happen to have any scans of the Triangle map?

------------------
    My FASATrek Page