Thread: Enterprise-era ICON Starship Building

Question Enterprise-era ICON Starship Building

Okay. Right now, I'm writing from somebody else's computer, because mine ate a virus and that was all she wrote. I'm waiting on my new PC, but whist I'm waiting for it to arrive, I was wondering...how can we work Spacedock rules for Enterprise-era starships? I can't find the components and I'm trying to gin some up, but I keep bumping into issues. For example: Hull Polarization Grids. They're not shields, they're not as effective as shields, and I can't think of a working system to use them. Second, weaponry. Not quite as difficult, but close. Phase cannons and spatial torpedoes raise some interesting questions. Spatial torpedoes have, what, half the range of photons, I think Reed said? That's not the hard part. We've seen that they can do a lot of damage (They blew away a Borg vessel), but are not capable of penetrating energy shielding...at least, not without a whole lot of them.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Starships system, but it'd be nice to see some of it translated into Spacedock form.

Anybody have any leads on where I might find the systems specified above of ideas pertaining to them?

Sorry if this has already been covered, BTW...
    "...For I intend to sail in harm's way!"

-John Paul Jones

Wait, since I don't watch Enterprise, you're going to have to fill me in on this.

TNG-VOY-era Photon and Quantum torpedoes do jack/diddly to a powered-up Borg ship, but ENT's 'outdated tech' torps rip one apart like tin foil?

Seriously?

Maybe I ought to throw a spoiler warning in here...yeah, those of you who haven't seen the 2nd season episode "Regeneration", don't read this!

Okay. What happened was, if you've seen First Contact, you saw all sorts of debris from when the Queen's sphere went up in the past. Some of it fell to earth and froze in the North pole (anybody notice a resemblence to 'The Thing From Another World' here?). A group of Starfleet scientists in 2153 (or maybe '52) found the wreckage at the North Pole, and didn't know what it was. So they started excavating...and unfroze the remaining drones, which were 'dead'.
    Right. Dead. NOT!!!
    The drones assimilated a bunch of the scientists, stole their ship, and Enterprise had to hunt down and determine what happened to them. It ended up destroying the Borg ship by knocking out the still-human systems aboard. While the science ship tried to regenerate, Archer blew it to shreds rather than let it get up and running again...but (and here's the kicker!), the science ship got a signal off to the Delta Quadrant pinpointing Earth's location...and because the Borg at the time didn't have transwarp capability, they wouldn't arrive for around 200 years. Now, jump forward to when the Borg make their appearance in TNG, and crunch the numbers...it all fits. Humanity drew the Borg down upon themselves! I HATE TEMPORAL MECHANICS!!!

Anyhow, the spacial torpedoes did blow the science ship away, because there was no time for the Borg to adapt to them. Archer made the smart call.
    "...For I intend to sail in harm's way!"

-John Paul Jones

Ah, so it wasn't like Archer's Enterprise blew away a true Borg ship then... that's better, at least. Still, this does conflict quite a bit with TNG in places.. but that's Rick-trek for you.

As for the original question.. I would probably take factor of TOS-era gear compared to the TNG-era, and then ramp it down to ENT-era by the same ratio, and see if that's workable. Tweak as needed.

Sadly, I seriously doubt we'll see /official/ pre-TOS era stats for much.

Yes Pocket has no interest in "faction" books anymore like the Tech manuals and Encyclopedia and only want to give us generally crapy paper back books.
    Draftsmen in Training

Originally posted by Eric R.
    Yes Pocket has no interest in "faction" books anymore like the Tech manuals and Encyclopedia and only want to give us generally crapy paper back books.
    I thought a couple of new ENTERPRISE-specific info books were coming up. But, at any rate, they may be tech books, but they won't have game stats, which is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

BTW here is a link to some interesting thoughts on regeneration from last year Vanguard

http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...t=Regeneration
    Draftsmen in Training

Mustang if your looking for Spacedock (Steve Long's) information on older tech may I suggest looking at the zip file Steve provided at Memory Icon owened by our very own Owen Oulton. While the historical dates and the Enterprise time line don't add up, most of the information in there, save Hull Polarization Grids. If you search the Spacedock forum there is information on many of the Enterprise issues, plus a write-up on the NX-Class.

<EDIT>
    Found the NX-class write up here, enjoy.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 10-20-2004 at 03:41 PM.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"