Thread: Command Specialty of System Operations

Command Specialty of System Operations

Is this inclusinve of CONN and such? If not, what is it for, exactly?
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

Re: Command Specialty of System Operations

Originally posted by Commander Ramey
    Is this inclusinve of CONN and such? If not, what is it for, exactly?
    It covers the use of command systems, such as those on the arms of the command chair, as well as access codes, autodestruct and stuff like that. (At least, that's how I understood it...)
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Thanks... Doesn't flight conn follow under command systesms? As I understand it the conn officers and shuttle pilots fall under the XO and are the "command" section.
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

I think you're mincing semantics, here.

System Operation (Command) refers to the consoles on the Captain's chair (and 1st Officer's, if there is one) as well as all functions devoted to the higher security functions of a ship (self destruct, for example).

System Operation (Flight Control) refers to helm/navigation.

While both are technically command officers (red shirts), one can not claim Command specialty when piloting the ship.
    Uruz - Alexander Skrabut - uruzrune@gmail.com

It depends on how far you want to take the implication of such things. There are several conventions that are overlooked because of the complexity and game balance issues.. For example I can recall several occassions where someone wanting to play a medical officer arguing his corner that he should get a FREE promotion to Lt.. because they do in the military and have been shown to do in the show.. and as I pointed out.. if you don't pay for it with points.. you aren't one

Same witht he command speciality.. if your CONN officer thinks it's appropriate to buy it with his few points at character creation he is quite capable of buying the speciality.. either way he can still do it without the speciality.. it all comes under System Operations (which is a slight flaw as I think sone skills should not be so universal!.. If you buy System operations (tactical) 5 it shouldn't mean you are an ace at working Medical consoles, though of course it doesn't teach you medicine )

Since in the game there is a specific 'command' career path over and above the other officer elite professions, then if they want to gain command professional skills all they need to do is go down that path and voila. Geordi La Forge, when he was the CONN officer didn't really get any special command privelages on the bridge because he was a CONN officer, if he got them it was because he was an appropriate ranking officer and the Captain asked him to step in.. Other than possible fanfic I can't think of evidence to really show that CONN are part of the command branch.. other than they wear the same colour uniform...
    Ta Muchly

Originally posted by Commander Ramey
    Thanks... Doesn't flight conn follow under command systesms? As I understand it the conn officers and shuttle pilots fall under the XO and are the "command" section.
    Nope. That would be Flight Control specialty. It helps to think of each specialty as a console. Command, Flight Control, Ops, Tactical, etc.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Thanks folks. I appriciate the info!
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"