Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Name that. . .Ship?

Our ship is the USS Galahad, now in it's second incarnation.

First one was an Ulsses-class scout, my own design, basically a smaller Nebula - might post the stats someday (Dedication plaque reads the same as my signature - what a funny coincidence ). Now we are on an Akira-class.
    And no, we don't have any letter attached. Just renamed an existing ship, like they did with the Sao Paulo on DS9.

------------------
    "To seek, to strive, to find and not to yield" - Alfred Tennyson

For SF-Intelligence: USS Styx, runabout with 'found' Romulan cloaking-device, and energy-sheated Cerberus-squad Tac Fighters.

USS Gemini, modified Galaxy, Multi-Vector assault mode testbed.

USS Reliant, defiant class.

USS Nemesis, Venus, Athena and Artemis Goddess class (future StarFleet battleships)

------------------
    'I can still see your... nipulary area...'
    Chandler, to Rachel wearing nothing but a thin towel.

Lancer, there's an ancient sailors' superstition that it's bad luck to change a ship's name. Just thought that might come in handy if you ever run a game where you're trying to play with the characters' minds by having "random" bad things happen on the ship.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Well we're currently serving aboard the Intrepid class U.S.S. Intrepid.

Althouh past ships have been the U.S.S. Dathon (after the Tamarian captain from Darmok), U.S.S. Endeavour, U.S.S. Gallant, U.S.S. Perseus. Not to mention the Versallis Station for a brief period.

We've been playing for about 13 years, hence we've been on a lot of postings.

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter
    CO NCC-73602, U.S.S. Intrepid
    Star Trek: Intrepid

When we started playing, FASA in TOS era, I was a player onboard the USS Destiny, a Constitution class ship that seemed to make contact with a new species or world every week. Toward the end we counted up 133 new species over a three-years of gaming.

In college I joined a group as an XO in the TNG era. We had a Excellsior class ship, the USS Intrepid, which had been around for more than 50 years. She had been refitted and updated but was always requiring minor repairs. She was a grand old ship which served us well for almost 5 years. Our PC engineer was always coming up new things to improve the ship or at least keep her running.

As DS9 was starting up our GM said Starfleet was selecting our ship as a test bed for new technologies. Which didn't make sense since the GM which shared duties were usually trying to blow us out of the water so to speak.

One thing our engineer established way back in 1991 was warp pylons that would curve up as warp speed increased. She was inspired by an F-14 going supersonic. One of our Ops charaters came up with a cargo shuttle that could be fitted with equipment packages to supplement missions, first a medical suite then a science lab. He was inspired by modern blackhawk and seahawk helicopters which can be used for assualts, rescue, evacuation and recon.

We later joked that Paramount was spying on us because of some other similarities with later shows.

The ship was destroyed on SD 47111.5 (Sept. 1993) successfully defending a colony against a Borg cube. The returning players and I transfered to Deep Space 11, a space station in the Darvan system as far coreward in the Beta Quadrant as Starfleet has explored.

When Voyager was announced and it was known that the ship was an Intrepid class vessel, we had a big celebration to coinside with Voyager's premier. We had a game where I was given my new command, the prototype vessel USS Intrepid. It had just completed her shakedown cruise.

We continued to play on that ship, eventually with me as the GM (still the NPC CO), until last year when I revisted DS11 as a campaign. I've vastly modified the station and expanded the background of the area thanks to notes left by the GM. Hoping to get the campaign up on the internet soon.

The other main ships we've used in our campaign are:

USS Destiny -- Galaxy class
    USS Orion -- Defiant class
    USS Discovery -- Intrepid class
    USS Republic -- Constitution class

F.Y.I

I added the quote from our dedication plaque to the topic start post of this topic (for those who care).

My current group is playing the section chiefs of the Intrepid(modified) class USS Agamemnon "Sic vis pacem para bellum" - "If you want peace, prepare for war". Well, the space bonobos in StarFleet command consider ship and crew a bunch of CroMagnon.

Agis' sistership is the USS Achilles. "Enough of words, let deeds now follow"

I'll try post some more dedications when I got a bunch of them.

Michael

The game I am running at present is set around the end of season three of DS9 onboard the USS Sovereign NCC 1984. After looking at some quotation web sites and discovering that the quote I was after is already on a ship in one of the series or movies I settled on the following:
    "It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world, because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past.".
    Yes, I know it's from Babylon 5 but it sums up nicely where I'm planning to go with the game.

When I first started running, under FASA's RPG, the characters were on the USS Discovery (Excelsior class). They've since gotten a newer ship also call Discovery, but this one is Ambassador class.

My first FASA game (late 80's) was aboard the USS Boseman (Kiev Class) during the movie era... This was pre 'Cause and Effect'

However we accidentally broke transwarp and bent the ship, so when we came back we redesigned the Bozeman to our own specifications... Oddly the finished design turned out very much like the intrepid class...

I remember that well, I said something along the lines of;
    "Its not a starfleet ship unless its got a Connie saucer section."

How little I knew.

Since then I have had characters serve aboard the following two ships in freeform PBEMs;
    USS Richelieu (Manta Class)
    USS Alliance (Soveriegn Class)

Lastly, my current PBEM (using ICON) is aboard the Galaxy Class USS Venture, to which is assigned,
    USS Tempest (Talon Class Scout)
    USS Amazon and Hudson (Danube Classes)
    and the An'Duris (Romulan Courier)

The Ventures dedication plaque reads;
    "Discovery is a journey without a chart."

And my tabletop game will be aboard the USS Journeyman (Intrepid Class).

I am currently looking for some eric clapton lyrics for the Jouneymans dedication...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarge:
    Lancer, there's an ancient sailors' superstition that it's bad luck to change a ship's name. Just thought that might come in handy if you ever run a game where you're trying to play with the characters' minds by having "random" bad things happen on the ship.

</font>
    Another good superstition...if there is such a thing as a 'good' one: a vessel launched without a christening or name is considered bad luck, as well.

In our campaign, Constitution (Galaxy-class) launched in 2373 for battle in the Dominion War unfinished and unnamed; just her comission code. She got her butt knocked about a lot, lost her saucer in battle, but ultimately came through. In one action, her shield modulation got screwy & actually allowed her to deflect Cardassian shots with no dmage to her or the shields. She picked up the name 'Old Ironsides' and after the war was christened Constitution & given a new dish.

Let's see...

My first Trek ship was the USS Horizon, Excelsior-II class. She had a pretty short life... the tac guy had Vengeful:Cardassians, we came across a Cardassian patrol... with our life support gone, we ran like hell to the nearest evactuated DMZ world and set up a new colony.

My character for the Horizon game was brought back for another series, "A New Beginning". This was one of the best RPG campaigns I've ever played. I came in a little late in the game, just as the USS Galileo (Rigel class) was about to be blown to pieces. The USS Epimethius (Epimethius class) was an attempt to make a fast, long range explorer based on the incredibly crappy Prometheus. Rip out two warp cores and four layers of external hull plating, and you get enough room to have a single, capable, good looking ship.

Aaah, but then we captured -her-. The USS Sutter (Steamrunner class) is listed in one of the LUGTrek books as having been "lost on routine patrol". Well, to us, "lost on routine patrol" meant "transferred to black ops". "Black ops" meant the return of the bug-things from Conspiracy [TNG]. When we recaptured the Sutter, we renamed her the USS Backlash. Ship's motto: "This far, no further!" Damn, that was a great ship. We had the requisite mirror universe episode, we had great one-liners, we did it all.

The next series takes place aboard the USS Valiant (Intrepid class). "We know what we are, but we know not what we may be." The captain is a former engineer at Utopia. He built the Defiant-class Valiant, took it out of dock half-finished to fend off one of the Borg attacks, finished building it, and watched as 'Fleet assigned it to Academy duty. After the Defiant-class Valiant's destruction, he got to oversee construction of the Intrepid-class Valiant. We served on that ship for quite some time before 'Fleet realized that...

a) the Rommies feared us enough to declare our entire ship an enemy of the Empire
    b) we were right on the border
    c) we needed something better than an Intrepid for flag waving, border guarding, mutually assured destruction, etc.

Hence the Intrepid-class Valiant was renamed to something else, and the Valiant name was moved to an Akira, where we serve today.

We also had an episode aboard the USS Valorious (Defiant), which remains an active NPC ship. Runabouts we've had have included the Fraser (the Fraser river in British Columbia, Canada) and the Sumida (a river in Japan).

Anybody know Galaxy's registry?

------------------

&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Anybody know Galaxy's registry?

</font>
    As in USS Galaxy, Galaxy Class sarge?

NX-70637

So that would be NCC-70637 these days

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

Sadly, after last week's game, all that's left of the old Ambassador class USS Santa Maria is the saucer section. The engineering section was remotely piloted on a collision course and rammed a Romulan warbird.

I'm leaning toward a Nebula for the next ship, probably named USS Bonaventure.

What mottos or quotes did everyone have for their ships' plaques? Santa Maria's was "Cruising on the Santa Maria, Searching for a Brave New World". Bonaventure might have "The Wild Winds of Fortune Shall Carry Us Onward, Withersoever They Blow".

</font>
    Wasn't "Bonaventure" the name of John Paul Jones' ship? You could use the "I've not yet begun to fight"

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain