Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decipher Rant -- The Narrators Screen !!

Angry Decipher Rant -- The Narrators Screen !!

Ok... I'd like to start a new thread where we each get to post a single beef with Decipher's implementation of the LOTR...

I'll start with the "Narrator's Screen Rip-Off".

Okay, I'm really pissed that so many erratas and alternate rule systems have sprouted up for LOTR... simply because in most cases these alternate rules make sense, and it seems that Decipher did not really bother to play test...

I can't for the love of Eru believe that they got such basic things as the weapon statistics wrong! How could you screw something up that's so essential to an rpg's mechanics... almost everyone agrees on some form of a weapon damage alternate to what Decipher published.

I especially feel ripped off about this, when I spend $20 on a Narrators screen, and the charts are wrong! What the hell is the screen any good for if the charts aren't any good... I end up having to tape an errata to my $20 glossy, colour screen.... oh well (at least the pic on the back of Minas Tirith is pretty cool).

rant... done....

</decio>

Well, there's more to the screen than just the damage charts. But overall I agree with you.

The game could very well use a second edition. But the odds of that happening are abysmal...
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    <div align="center"><center><table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolor="#000080"><tr><td><center><br><font face=verdana><font color="#000080"><font size="2">I am</font><br><font size=8><font face=symbol>p</font></font><br><br><font size=2>Everyone loves pi</font></font><br><font color="#FFFFFF">_</font></font></td></tr></table></center></div><br><center><font face=verdana><font size=2><a href="http://www.geocities.com/eyecanspy/numberquiz">what number are you?</a></font><font size=1><br><br>this quiz by <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/orsa">orsa</a></font></font></center>

Okay. I'm going to step up fairly quickly on this one.

Yes, we know that many of us are unhappy with Decipher's handling of the license. Yes, mistakes were made with some of the products. But do we really need to rehash the Decipher-bashing of past couple years? Do we? I think not.

However, I'll just ask that you try to keep things civil. If this gets out of hand or becomes a repetition of various "Decipher sucks!" threads from the past, I will close it down.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Puts his arm around Doug's Shoulder

Doug,

I own alot of the LOTR RPG Material. First I am going to point out the great things you have done. The RPG system is flexable, synergistic, and allows for more role-playing and less mechanics like other systems left unnamed. The production is slick, colorful and useful. The shortcomings I have found is the repedative nature of some of the material especially the source books. Last of the darts is the product scoming to market in a timely manner(i.e. your own deadlines mentioned at decipher. Other than that I am a loyal customer and continue to await the rest of the game line to come into my eager hands. I guess we could all sharpshoot decipher but in the end, I am happy with the product. It is a pitty you can't give the same treatment to the Hobbit and earlier ages of midddle earth.
    the roads goes ever on..... so buy a volvo!

"don't tell the elf"-Gimili at the Hornburg LOTR TTT

What about second breakfast?- Pippin, LOTR FOTR

"My precious"- my treo 700 phone/PDA

I'm not a LOTR player. For sword-and-sorcery fantasy, I play d20 D&D. For CODA, I'm strictly a Star Trek player.

You don't see as many complaints regarding CODA from Star Trek gamers. I think the problem stems from the fact that the CODA system was pretty much built around the Star Trek milieu and then retro-fitted to be a "universal" system that Decipher could "tack on" to whatever licenses they happen to acquire.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

First, Doug is Decipher's Net Rep -- the voice of Decipher to the players concerning rules, updates, and the like ... he has nothing to do with producing LOTR products (he did work on a Star Trek book if I recall), so he's not really a part of that "you".

Second, there could've been products dealing with The Hobbit as DEC's license includes that book, but apparently it hadn't been gotten around to yet.

Third, DEC nor New Line nor Tolkien Enterprises has the license to use any material that is in the histories and the Silmarillion, that also goes for material listed in the appendices that is also listed in the Silmarillion or histories.

This means there would be a very finite amout of material for the writers to work with, my estimate is somewhere about 10-15, 20 at most, books and if all went well (2-3 mos per pub w/o stalling from licensors), that'd mean RPG products only for 2.5-4.5 yrs +/- 0.5 yrs. At that point either give up producing items or they'd have to create CODA 2.0 for the game and proceed to re-write all the books and supplements to support the new version, which I'm quite sure many players would bemoan as they do for DnD (3 to 3.5).

The reason I don't think you see a lot of complaints about the system is that Star Trek isn't all that combat intensive and most of the gripes are from the PC combat and some from Mass Combat. In Star Trek, the main gripes about mechanics I hear are about Starship Combat, but they aren't all that many because people either work around them and/or rarely use combat at all in the game.
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

I sit down and blow a smoke ring

Star Trek.hummm ...anyway ..... Gandalf old boy you are full of surprises... what have you got in your pocket? I have got the stick of gum .."it has phenominal cosmic power ( +1 on all persude and communication roles)... and gives fresh breath" LOL Thanks for the input .. you obviously have a great store of knowleadge about the game and its surrounding legal affairs.

Tips is hat and shambles off
    Wilson

What I know comes from Matt Colville, one of the game's designers. He's posted what I've just said a number of times on RPG.net and at DEC msgbrds in the past. Sorry if I came on a little short in my repsonse, wasn't my intention, just shooting for brevity in my answer. I've also been around the game since the beginning too. I was even one of the lucky ones to get a CRB at the 2002 Gen Con (just moved to the Milwaukee area the previous April).

From what I've heard and know:
    1) RPG's aren't all that profitable in the long run without a lot of material to draw from and/or little to no restrictions from licensors if there are any.
    2) LOTR has a very limited license and has been strictly enforced since the debacle with ICE's MERP.
    3) LOTR posted actually fairly big numbers but didn't compete well enough for DEC's tastes against WOTC and DnD.
    4) DEC obtained the license from both New Line and Tolkien Enterprises and so approval for publications was lengthy with much run-around I'm sure.
    5) Star Trek has had similar problems I believe with Paramount/Viacom and that property had been hurting of late since really about the time DEC got the license for the RPG from LUG.
    6) There are rumors abound with what is to happen to the line such as, the most popular at this time, DEC is in negotiations with Games Workshop to subcontract the RPG (though who knows what that'd mean to Star Trek). There are also rumblings from players and posters on the DEC that the games should've used a bastardized d20 system (which I don't agree with) along with wanting ways to convert from CODA to d20 (don't agree with this either).

To me, it doesn't matter what happens. CODA is by far one of the most flexible and easiest to use systems I've come across that IMO rightly focuses just as much on the character from chargen to gamin as it does on mechanics. I've also said this before, I will continue to support the games myself through the webzines and BSR as long there is interest.

GOB
    Last edited by GandalfOfBorg; 11-28-2004 at 04:41 PM.

Ah the d20ghoul... runnnnnnn

Why do I feel like I just tasted a bad hair ball. You said the evil word. Shame on you. Bastarded d20 ...what the warg! to continue I am, like you very comfortable with the CODA. For the same reasons you have already stated. I am hoping after working with CODA some more I will be able to build a CODA RPG for Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga. Well to peas in a pod on this one. Now if I can ever get as slick with my production like the guys at Hall of Fire and some of the other talanted fans here I might pull it off. Mind you it is not the money, I am in it for the creative process.

Wilson

Well I hope my CODA BSR can help you along the way.

hehe but no one said the money wouldn't hurt

GOB

BSR

I do believe it will. I just need to have the time to work on it. Money .... well let me try my hand at it for free first and if I have any talent then maybe ...

I Think universial has the rights to Elric anyway. Chaosium is unable to produce anymore RPG material.

Wilson

Originally posted by GandalfOfBorg
    I've also been around the game since the beginning too. I was even one of the lucky ones to get a CRB at the 2002 Gen Con (just moved to the Milwaukee area the previous April).
    Heh. Same here. I even had to wait for the second shipment after the first one sold out so quick...

Re: Puts his arm around Doug's Shoulder

Feanorgil,

As I said, I have no problem with a civil discussion about the game. I was just trying to head the usual run of Decipher-bashing that seems to crop up in this kind of thread.

And to confirm something GoB said, I was a playtester on the Trek game, compiled the official support docs for both Trek and LOTR, and did the rough map sketches for the sorely missed Worlds book for Trek, but otherwise I'm just a PR guy. I provide answers when I have them and pester TPTB for them when I don't.

anytime your in Italy Doug

come have a drink.

Wilson

Re: anytime your in Italy Doug

Originally posted by Feanorgil
    come have a drink.

Wilson
    Sounds great.