Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To those who disliked Enterprise...

ROTFLOL

-Wife looks at me funny . . . not understanding the humor I find in the situation-

Quote Originally Posted by T'lara
    Yes, I use to watch this show. It is like a terrible car wreck. You know you slow down to see what a bad accident it is to see all the blood and gore. I try to watch every season and the writing gets worse and more stupid.
    I personally recommend you watch this season's episodes. It's a complete 180, since Manny Coto took over B&B's place in running the show.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

This season is a definite improvement and I was not a fan of the show and a rather harsh critic considering how the show has constantly taken liberty with facts established in TOS. I'll always be loyal to TOS and I probably watch it more out of morbid curiousity, however, the fact does remain that things started improving in Season 3 and while I doubt I will ever treat it as Trek canon in my own games, I probably will allow it to exist as a parallel dimension.

Watch it, you might be surprised.

Granted, since the new BSG was released, I'm not nearly as harsh on Enterprise as I once was.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

Thumbs down With all due respect REG…

Manny Coto did NOT take over 100%…guess whom have final say story approval and script development?…go to head of the class if you said ‘Them’, and prepare for another year of riding in ‘the little bus’ for those who didn’t.

Hmmm…if ‘They’ relate “Big Ratings=A pair of Big Boobs”, then why haven’t ‘They’ appeared in front of the camera? I mean come on, ‘They’ don’t get much bigger. (And I’d better shut up…‘They’ might be reading this, and realize that this IS the way to save series...)

And I wouldn’t say that Ain’t-a-prize HAS improved, consider:
    http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/~mvrojo/entratings.htm
    (Look at the Season Average Overall Shares for each year…scary)

Also consider:
    ‘They’ “quit/walked away” (ok ‘They’re’ actually working “behind the scenes”, with enough distance to protect ‘Them’selves.)
    The show had it’s budget slashed to over half of what it was (1.7mill at it’s “high water mark”, now 800K…THAT’S a LOSS!!!)

The show moved to Friday nights, because it's head was being kicked in by Smallville. (Hey Ent. tried two episode and SV ran two episodes…which did better??)

The show is now trying to repair things ‘They’ screwed-over in the con…OK, fine how about “Timeline”, how’s that? Anyway “explaining” why Vulcans aren’t acting like Vulcans…PLEASE, it’s called “bad writing”. And as much as Manny is trying to bury ‘bodies’ in shallow graves, he’s also not above swinging the ol’ Chrono-wrecking ball. Manny’s supposedly bringing on the Gorn…a near- Century before Kirk’s FIRST CONTACT with them (‘They’ even said “the Gorn won’t be used”…What the…).

But this goes alongside:
    The Klingon (handled very badly and hardly violently at all, contradicting all ‘this is why we fought’ stuff in other series)
    The Ferengi (so ‘Starfleet’ “knew” about these guys nearly two FULL centuries before Picard…yet Picard still get ambushed, several times…sorry, I think Picard being the “First Contact” make more sense)
    The Borg (ok, assuming for a second that a Borg could survive atmospheric entry, terminal velocity, and the subsequent impact...why didn't Starfleet have a #!@&$ PLAN to deal with them be Picard's time???)

Man I'll be glad when the word is passed "Ding, Dong the show is dead"...and hopefully it won't make it to 100 episodes (do 'They' really think that this show will make-up it's short comings in syndication??? Oh, man IS SOMEONE ON CRACK?!?!?!?!).
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Modem
    Manny Coto did NOT take over 100%…guess whom have final say story approval and script development?…go to head of the class if you said ‘Them’, and prepare for another year of riding in ‘the little bus’ for those who didn’t.

Hmmm…if ‘They’ relate “Big Ratings=A pair of Big Boobs”, then why haven’t ‘They’ appeared in front of the camera? I mean come on, ‘They’ don’t get much bigger. (And I’d better shut up…‘They’ might be reading this, and realize that this IS the way to save series...)

And I wouldn’t say that Ain’t-a-prize HAS improved, consider:
    http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/~mvrojo/entratings.htm
    (Look at the Season Average Overall Shares for each year…scary)

Also consider:
    ‘They’ “quit/walked away” (ok ‘They’re’ actually working “behind the scenes”, with enough distance to protect ‘Them’selves.)
    The show had it’s budget slashed to over half of what it was (1.7mill at it’s “high water mark”, now 800K…THAT’S a LOSS!!!)

The show moved to Friday nights, because it's head was being kicked in by Smallville. (Hey Ent. tried two episode and SV ran two episodes…which did better??)

The show is now trying to repair things ‘They’ screwed-over in the con…OK, fine how about “Timeline”, how’s that? Anyway “explaining” why Vulcans aren’t acting like Vulcans…PLEASE, it’s called “bad writing”. And as much as Manny is trying to bury ‘bodies’ in shallow graves, he’s also not above swinging the ol’ Chrono-wrecking ball. Manny’s supposedly bringing on the Gorn…a near- Century before Kirk’s FIRST CONTACT with them (‘They’ even said “the Gorn won’t be used”…What the…).

But this goes alongside:
    The Klingon (handled very badly and hardly violently at all, contradicting all ‘this is why we fought’ stuff in other series)
    The Ferengi (so ‘Starfleet’ “knew” about these guys nearly two FULL centuries before Picard…yet Picard still get ambushed, several times…sorry, I think Picard being the “First Contact” make more sense)
    The Borg (ok, assuming for a second that a Borg could survive atmospheric entry, terminal velocity, and the subsequent impact...why didn't Starfleet have a #!@&$ PLAN to deal with them be Picard's time???)

Man I'll be glad when the word is passed "Ding, Dong the show is dead"...and hopefully it won't make it to 100 episodes (do 'They' really think that this show will make-up it's short comings in syndication??? Oh, man IS SOMEONE ON CRACK?!?!?!?!).
    Wow, somebody's negative.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Quote Originally Posted by Rayaru
    Wow, somebody's negative.
    Writing's improved 1000% this season and the nay-sayers don't want to admit it.

As a lot of people have said since Season 1 of Enterprise: "Don't like it ? Fine. Don't watch it. But, whatever you do, quit your bitchin' because I don't want to hear it."
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

And With All Due Respect, Modem

Quote Originally Posted by Modem
    ...The reason why I have been so critical of VOYAGER and the past seasons of ENTERPRISE is because B&B tend to select and approve their own stories, and when their stories are aired, I literally hurled in my wastebasket.

AFAIC, as long as B&B don't write their own stories but approve others, mainly Manny Coto's, then that's all right with me. After all, the late Gene Roddenberry may be the creator of Star Trek, but what put Trek on the map are the creative writing talents of Gene L. Coon, Harlan Ellison, and DC Fontana, among others. At best, Mr. Roddenberry's writing are decent but not on the same level as the three I have mentioned.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

I guess it comes back to that old question, "Who watches the watchers?" or however that it was worded.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

I really like the show and hope it continues.
    Garet

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    I personally recommend you watch this season's episodes. It's a complete 180, since Manny Coto took over B&B's place in running the show.
    I did watch everything since the season premeire. I am still disappointed and hate the show. The fact you did not fully quote me proves you did not read my whole post or read what this thread is asking, because I am responding to Lt Cmdr Matt's post which is what this thread is about.

I am trying to understand something about the people attacking people on this thread that we do not like the show.

Note this is the initial thread post

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Cmdr Matt
    I was curious about those who disiked Enterprise before season 4, what you think of the show now. Do you still dislike it? Just curious.
    Lt Cmdr Matt is asking if we, who dislike the series have seen this season and changed our minds. Saying we are still unhappy and answering Lt Cmdr Matt's question should not be attack because we answer it. Lt Cmdr Matt is just making a poll to see if our minds changed. If people want to debate if Enterprise is any good, I think it should be done on a different thread and fact there have been several before.

I respect those that like Enterprise even though I can not understand why, but I respect it and when it is time to debate I will. This is not a debating thread. This is the original poster's intent to see if we changed our minds not have other people go around trying to change our minds for us, because they do not want to respect our dislike of Enterprise.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

While I am not a great defender of the show, trotting out the same old crap about "ooh the ferengi.. oooh the Borg ooh the.. whatever" yes this is what WAS wrong with the show, which they are trying to correct. Hence this makes me feel like the people who are vehemently hating the show haven't actually bothered to watch any of season 4, they are just trundling out the 'what we hated about the first 3 season' waggon.

Yes sure you hate the show we get that, I'm not overly fond of some of the drivell that they put out which have contributed to it's decline.. However the intention of the thread is if you like the CHANGES, it was not meant as an excuse to drag up old muck!
    Ta Muchly

I am trying to understand something about the people attacking people on this thread that we do not like the show.
    Well, I used to be one of the people that attack the people that do like ENTERPRISE when it was run by Braga in the past three seasons. So, you see, it goes both ways.

I was also skeptical of Manny Coto before the new season begins, but after they immediately conclude the mess from last season and they got into the Augments and Soong story arc, and most recently the Vulcan story arc, I feel like it's home again.

So, yeah. As one who disliked ENTERPRISE for the past three seasons, who heard there is a change in leadership/showrunning during the summer when they started shooting episodes for Season 4, gave this season a chance. My opinion so far? I like it.

Do you have a problem with me changing my mind?
    Last edited by REG; 12-13-2004 at 11:24 PM.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    While I am not a great defender of the show, trotting out the same old crap about "ooh the ferengi.. oooh the Borg ooh the.. whatever" yes this is what WAS wrong with the show, which they are trying to correct. Hence this makes me feel like the people who are vehemently hating the show haven't actually bothered to watch any of season 4, they are just trundling out the 'what we hated about the first 3 season' waggon.

Yes sure you hate the show we get that, I'm not overly fond of some of the drivell that they put out which have contributed to it's decline.. However the intention of the thread is if you like the CHANGES, it was not meant as an excuse to drag up old muck!
    No the idea was if we changed our minds or not. Being attacked that I have not is not very open thinking.

You seem to have a problem I have not and that I have not given it a fair shake. I have and once again disappointed. I am not dumping I am saying I have not changed my mind. You changed yours I am happy for you and respect it and I said in the last part of my post see below or above.

As I said at the end of my post

At the end of what I said I said this:

I respect those that like Enterprise even though I can not understand why, but I respect it and when it is time to debate I will. This is not a debating thread. This is the original poster's intent to see if we changed our minds not have other people go around trying to change our minds for us, because they do not want to respect our dislike of Enterprise.
    Sounds to me I am saying. Wow, I respect your opinion of you like it or not, but I am not getting the same now am I?
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

As this thread and others before it have proven, we are definitely passionate about our Trek.

To answer the question: I believe that things have improved and will continue to watch as I have from the beginning though I am still disappointed with the show, for various reasons, it has improved.

Regardless, it still has in its own way given me a few ideas for my games at some point down the road so I might consider that a success for the show. *shrug*

Regards,
    CKV.

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    Do you have a problem with me changing my mind?
    Since in the post you butchered I said this:

Since I said I respect those that like Enterprise though I can not understand why, but I respect it... I do not see how I would not with someone changing their mind, but no respect from others because I have not changed mine? Sad, I post something and I am getting flamed.
    Hey my opinion