Thread: Battle History of Middle-Earth

Battle History of Middle-Earth

Thought I'd start yet another thread.... wheee!

Thought it would be cool to have discussions on some of the details regarding some of the greatest battles in middle earth.

As a Narrator I try to remain as authentic to the original Tolkien sources, and when information isn't present. I look to historic details later manufactured by the fine folks at ICE/MERP.

I have a campaign that I am about to embark on which takes place weeks before the Angmarim onslaught of 1409. I've been doing a lot of research but there are still some things that I either can't find any details for, or I get conflicting details regarding... so maybe someone knows the answers or can point me in the right direction.

1409 Angmar along with Rhudaur drive south and west, cross the Mitheithel and assault Amon Sul. The fortress is raised and the Cardolan+Arthedain army retreat. The Arthedain army retreats to Fornost Erain. The Cardolan Army is decimated on the Barrow Downs.... and then supposedly Cardolan is over-run... including Tharbad which supposedly falls.

1) What was the size and composition of the Angmarim army?

2) Exactly when in the calendar did Amon Sul fall - I think it was late Autumn early winter ?

3) I've heard by some accounts that the last king of Cardolan actually fell in combat during mid summer - which doesn't really jive with what I thought was the Amon Sul seige...

4) I can't find any documentation that details the seige of Tharbad, exactly when did it occur, how long it lasted and who were the forces involved?

These details are all pretty important if my player characters are going to be around during this period...

Tolkien historic scholar ?
    Last edited by decius; 11-18-2004 at 05:24 PM.
    </decio>

Ahhh a kindred spirit!!!!

I don't have some of my reference material avialable, but I believe the last "prince of Caroldan "fell victim to the barrow wrights when the witchking of angmar sent them into the mounds.

As far as the size of the armies well I believe the Atlas of middle earth may give you an idea, but I am pretty certain that it doesn't say anything specific.
    the roads goes ever on..... so buy a volvo!

"don't tell the elf"-Gimili at the Hornburg LOTR TTT

What about second breakfast?- Pippin, LOTR FOTR

"My precious"- my treo 700 phone/PDA

don't have some of my reference material avialable, but I believe the last "prince of Caroldan "fell victim to the barrow wrights when the witchking of angmar sent them into the mounds.

As far as the size of the armies well I believe the Atlas of middle earth may give you an idea, but I am pretty certain that it doesn't say anything specific

My resources unavailable, but...

Hello,

I suggest you get a copy of the ICE/MERP publication of Arnor - either through eBay or a boot-leg PDF off the internet (they are out there).

It is not canon, but it is an awesome resource to help Narrator's define the Old Kingdoms. I take from it what I want (i.e. names, places, maps, force numbers, etc.) and leave the rest (i.e. magic, monsters, etc.)

Anyway, look for it, it will help out a lot.

Tomcat

additional resources

The Appendicies of the ROTK has alot of the information you may want. In the simillaron there is alot vague mentions of battles and such. I suppose the History of middle earth series by Christopher tolkien would have some detail as well.