Thread: Non-Academy Officer in Starfleet

Non-Academy Officer in Starfleet

When developing characters whom attended higher education somewhere other than Starfleet Academy, and then join Starfleet immediately after graduating, how do you deal with this in character creation?

I am thinking (for an example): using the standard Medical Officer Overlay from TNG Corebook I would figure the necessary skills (brown box) the character learned at University. And rather than receive eight points for an Academy Life History Package the points would be spent on skills appropriate for a pre-med and medical education.

Now after attending University our youthful doctor decided to join Starfleet. I would assume he would have to spend a year at Starfleet Academy learning how to be in Starfleet (and thus receiving the basic skills portion of the Medical Officer Overlay (the non-brown box portion of the overlay).

My question is: where to go from here? I figure one would consider the character's residency [or should that be internship?] as their cadet cruise. Should one just note the characters attendance at the Academy for a year and leave it at that or would a year at the Academy be long enough to warrant receiving the basic skills from the overlay AND an Advanced Training Package?

Thanks.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

For creating this sort of character, your best bet is to use the civilian character generation from the DS9 book, then apply OCS and the Advanced Medical Training from the TNG Players' Guide to reflect further Starfleet training .

Ditto
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

So, I gave this a try today. I've always had this picture and wanted to write something of for it and today wa the day.

It could be a very cool idea. It uses the civilian doctor overlay with the character progressed up to his first tour (which could be changed to fit into any ya'lls games if you so desire). Characters thus created could be very cool to play. Not as developed as standard Starfleet characters, one could explore their progression as officers even moreso than other characters. This example is lacking in a lot of the skills most Starfleet doctors have, but is very skilled in the medical arts.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."