Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek d20

Star Trek d20

Anyone know of any decent conversions from other systems to d20 modern/future?

There's a CODA to d20 and a FASA to d20 Star Trek group on Yahoo, but I don't remember specifically what they were, and neither had very much traffic on them. The general cosensus was that d20 really didn't mesh all that well with Star Trek - with Trek requiring a more detailed skill system and d20 skirting skills in favour of large men hitting one another with swords.

Might as well play Coda considering its inspired by D20 and while still retaining that Trek feel.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Ok, I didn't post here in the hope that I would be converted to another system. If I wanted to play using CODA, I'd post in the goddamn CODA forum.

No-one in my group likes CODA. Everybody thinks it's a weak system. I don't come into your CODA forum telling you that you should all play d20, so I'd appreciate it if people would stop telling me to.

Well people answer you that because they don't play d20 and can't help you.

And people are not TELLING you to use CODA they re advising you to use CODA.

IMO CODA and ICON are both great systems for trek, never used FASA but considering the amount of people here who still talk about it i guess it wasn't bad either.
    Romuald "Pantoufle" Theate

Originally posted by Mek'Var
    Ok, I didn't post here in the hope that I would be converted to another system. If I wanted to play using CODA, I'd post in the goddamn CODA forum.

No-one in my group likes CODA. Everybody thinks it's a weak system. I don't come into your CODA forum telling you that you should all play d20, so I'd appreciate it if people would stop telling me to.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

There was about 4-5 months ago a disscussion about triing to convert SWd20 for StarTrek nothing ever happened, if you get a d20 version working let me know. Also there was a site that used Traveller d20 and converted it to D20 but the site is dead I believe there is a link from this site to it.

Originally posted by Mek'Var
    [B]Ok, I didn't post here in the hope that I would be converted to another system. If I wanted to play using CODA, I'd post in the goddamn CODA forum.
    Yes, right, got it. You know something, I don't play CODA either.. I primarily know FASA and now ICON. I never thought of it as a religion , though...

But, okay, your group wants to play Star Trek in d20 . I've told you what I know. There were efforts, largely abandoned, to use d20 for Star Trek, and all had serious problems due to d20's core design.

That said, there are notes out there for doing it, though you'll have to dig them up. I think you'll just find that most people who've tried just came to the conclusion that d20 isn't the best system, as it stands, for handling Star Trek.

Another possibility to look at is to take a look through the Babylon Five d20 Core Rules. It may give you a few ideas on how to work the leveling and what not.

Good luck in capturing the feel of Trek using the d20 mechanic.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

Originally posted by Capt. K. Vaughn
    Another possibility to look at is to take a look through the Babylon Five d20 Core Rules. It may give you a few ideas on how to work the leveling and what not.

Good luck in capturing the feel of Trek using the d20 mechanic.

Regards,
    CKV.
    Thanks.

Babylon 5 is considered a pretty good game and would probably work well as a starting point for d20. One of its main tweaks is dramatically reducing character hit points. That said, I'm not so certain the D&D/d20 Future version of hit points wouldn't work - you've got red shirts who beam down and get killed immediately and you have Captain Kirk who never seems to get seriously hurt. Hit points would, in my opinion, be a valid way of implementing that.

Another good resource would be BESM d20 by Guardians of Order. It is pretty close to a point-based system for d20 (indeed, its appendix has rules for classless/level-less implementation). Though designed originally for anime, I think it would make a great engine for Star Trek.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Yeah, I wanted to use BESM d20 or even tri-stat, but at the end of the day, we all know the d20 system inside and out and it's a matter of not wanting to re-invent the wheel kinda thing.

We've actually been fairly successful in creating our own homebrew adaptions to d20 modern for this Star Trek thing, it's just that we wanted to see if there were other resources out there that we could draw on.

The massive damage threshold pretty much solves the 'hit point' problem and phasers, IMO. And one thing that many people don't seem to realize about the hit point system in d20/D&D, is that it's an abstract concept meant to include skill, luck, endurance, etc. not just literally how much damage you can take. A 'hit' in D&D doesn't necessarily translate directly to damage, even though that's what it's called. It can mean a near miss. It all comes down to bad naming conventions, and the fact that few people actually READ the rules and fewer actually understand them.

With that in mind I'd think d20 Modern/Future would definitely be the way to go. Sadly I don't think there is much in the way of d20 Trek resources.

The Wizards of the Coast boards would probably be a good resource too. Here is one thread I found:
    http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=319409
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

On behalf of the Site Development Team, Welcome. I am glad we have some here now that is developing Trek for d20 Modern and Future. The new owner, the Team and I wish to make this the premier site for Trek Roleplaying in any system .

There are a number of Trek d20 projects that are listed in our Directory, most of which seem to have little activity. Hopefully when we make our public relations push -- some of which will be target at those Yahoo! groups -- we might get more contributors here, too.

As far as systems go (not to say you should use it), Coda seems to be a Icon - d20 hybrid. It would not hurt for those using Coda to show how say a Vulcan differs from a human in Coda so you can draw conclusions for d20. Ditto for Icon users.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

We've actually been fairly successful in creating our own homebrew adaptions to d20 modern for this Star Trek thing, it's just that we wanted to see if there were other resources out there that we could draw on.

I'd like to see what you have ask far as Star Trek D20 stuff