Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Star Trek d20

I am well aware of all those things, but it still doesn't matter does it?

Think about the Dragon for a minute. Anytime PC's fight a Dragon it should be "Him" or "them".

Just like if the PC's in Star Trek are on a ship that takes too much damage and it explodes, you know those things happen.

I've read adventures where the PC's must do something a specific way or they die, plain and simple. These are written by people who are considered some of the finest writers for RPG games.

Look at "Tomb of Horrors" Ever played that? That's designed to kill PC's but at the same time tell a great story.

All I'm saying is in the Coda and Icon rules PC's have a better chance of surviving then they would if it was a D20 system.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I simply disagree, and that comes from five years of experience running, almost exclusively, d20 (D&D 3e and 3.5, and SW d20). (I'm not discounting your arguments, I'm just saying my experience has told me different.)

And, as for the dragon, why does it have to be "him" or "them?" Dragons aren't mindless monsters bent simply on destruction; they're incredibly intelligent and complex creatures with their own culture, history and motivations. The dragon could be a mastermind behind a long story arc, manipulating the action from his lair, working through minions who may not even know he's a dragon at all; or, he could see the PCs as too much of a threat, and attempt to either bribe or deceive them to secure his escape. Even better still, he could see the PCs as potential assets, trading their continued lives (and, perhaps, the promise of some treasure) for some service that provides him distance from a plot against another rival.

It doesn't need to be black and white, even if the PCs actually enter into combat against a dragon. On a literary note, the encounter between Bilbo and Smaug comes to mind.

I remember the Tomb of Horrors fondly, but, please, that was 1st Ed. -- a much, much different era for the RPG industry as a whole, let alone D&D.

Also, for the record, I don't run pre-made adventures, and haven't done so in almost 20 years. It's partially an ego thing, since I consider myself the best writer for the campaign worlds I create.

As I've said before, the game system is secondary to the GM's skill concerning the survivability of a scenario. It's probably best that we agree to disagree.

Now, I think we've hijacked this thread long enough. The point of original post was to find out what has been/can be done, not to debate whether some people think it can/should be done. I'd rather get back to discussing that, thanks.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I guess at the end of the day the GM and or the players coliur the perceptions of a system to a great degree. A Good GM can render a system as just a tool for mechanics, but more and more I hear that argument levelled at D20, when it isn't an actual praise of the system at all, it just means that the market is saturated with their source books, so you have to play it despite not liking the system: of course you don't HAVE too, but you often need a place to start because rule books often contain more than rules.. Stargate RPG is a wonderful resource book for the Stargate universe irrespective of what mechanic it uses. Bottom line with most games it you are buying the books so you don't have to write the entire rules set yourself.. taking D20 out of something, and adding something else is a daunting task!!!

Still I am still interested to see if anyone can fix it! Reg?
    Ta Muchly

I have been thinking a lot about a d20 Star Trek setting for some time. While I was vehemently opposed to it initially, I've had several years (and two iterations of Star Trek RPGs) to adjust my way of thinking.

I don't think that I'd use the D&D rules for a Star Trek setting, or even the Star Wars rule set. Probably I'd use a version of d20 Modern with d20 Future, but I'd use the Damage Saving Throw mechanic used in Mutants & Masterminds, the greatest superhero game I've seen in years. This allows for high-level, highly-skilled characters that can still be wasted by a single phaser shot, particularly if the character is a non-combat type (or the player is a lousy roller!).

As for playing alien characters, D&D allows for this (after a fashion) using ECL and Level Adjustments.

Certainly the d20 Future rules are far from perfect (or even mediocre), but there are enough variant and house rules about to make a d20 Trek game a viable option.

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

d20 Star Trek

Below i am posting my home brew coda to star trek, with a little bit of d20 future thrown in. For the most part I use d20 Star Wars as my core rules. I do this because I like the vitality, wounds system better than normal hit points. It's more cinematic that way. If there are any questions just ask. I find what ever system you use it all depends on the GM. He is the key to intrupeting the rules into a fun roleplaying experience.

Star Trek Shields: Add Protection as a Shield Bonus to Defense. If under the Defense of ship then attack missed completely. If attack is between ship’s normal Defense and the Shield Protection modified defense then attack “hits” the ship but fails to penetrate the shield bubble and is deflected away, but this reduces the shield strength by 10% per attack. Any attacks that are equal to or over the total Defense of the ship penetrates the shield and can damage the ship as they get over the “threshold” of the shields. The damage is applied to the ship itself; always subtract the shield threshold DR before applying damage to the hull points. To restore shields strength a character must make a Repair check but instead of shield points restored, it is the % of shield strength restored. Regenerative shields means roll 2d6 if doubles are rolled then the shield recovers double the normal amount automatically. The amount recovered cannot exceed 100% shield strength. To angle shields transfer power from shield strength front to back in 10% increments. No more than 200% per one arc. Shields can be restored by 10% of their full strength every minute they are allowed to recharge, regenerative shields double that rate.

Hull Points: Take the Structure of the vessel and multiply it by 10. These are the starships hull points in d20 Star Wars. Damage Reduction is normally 10 but the DR next to the slash is the shield threshold and the DR during combat. While the SIF generators are on-line, the starship is considered to have the Light Fortification which ignores 25% of critical hits. Ablative Armor is gives the ship Medium Fortification ignoring 75% of critical hits and 50 extra hull points. Hull Polarized armor is treated as ERA armor, but without the explosive effect. All starships in the Star Trek universe have the Weak Point, Volatile defect due to Warp Cores.

Weapon Damage: For weapon damage take the Coda Penetration value; this equals the 2d20 damage dice that the ships weapon system does per round. Remember that normal weapons are in batteries located in banks, arrays, or emplacements, and fire in a barrage of phaser fire, or a volley of torpedoes so attacks are considered to be a full round action. Photon Torpedoes have either armor penetration or burst which will affect 30 squares in all directions from the blast. (15,000 meters), but has low penetration defect.

1 Stun Fort save DC 10
    2 Stun Fort save DC 15
    3 Stun Fort save DC 20
    4 1d6+4
    5 1d6+5
    6 1d6+6
    7 1d6+7
    8 kill/2d6+8*
    9 kill/3d6+9*
    10 kill/4d6+10*
    11 kill/5d6+11*
    12 kill/6d6+12*
    13 kill/7d6+13*
    14 kill/8d6+14*
    15 kill/9d6+15*
    16 kill/10d6+16*

*At these settings any target that suffers wound damage must make a Reflex save DC 15 to avoid a being disintegrated, Critical hits double the DC , even if the save is successful the character still takes the listed damage from shrapnel and concussive energy. Any character or object in an area half the diameter in meters as the setting is automatically reduced to -25 Wound Points and is disintegrated. Vehicles only take the listed damage. These weapons cannot affect starships in this way. Phasers have different beam intensities and width settings also. Narrow beams ignore the first 5 DR but can only make one attack per round, wide beam settings cover up to six meter area setting 12 and have an area effect Reflex save DC 15 for half damage.

Starfleet Type-I Hand Phaser
    Weapon type: Holdout Phaser
    Proficiency Group: Blaster Pistols
    Damage: Settings 1-8
    Range Increment: 6 m
    Hardness: 5 WP: 1
    Multifire/Autofire: M/A Cost: 500 Cr
    Critical: 20
    Weight: .2 kg
    Type: Energy
    Size: Tiny
    Break DC: 12

Starfleet Type-II Holstered Phaser
    Weapon type: Phaser Pistol
    Proficiency Group: Blaster Pistols
    Damage: Settings 1-16
    Range Increment: 12 m
    Hardness: 5 WP: 2
    Multifire/Autofire: M/A Cost: 1,000 Cr
    Weight: .6 kg
    Size: Small
    Break DC: 14

Starfleet Type-III Assault Phaser
    Weapon type: Phaser Pistol
    Proficiency Group: Blaster Rifles
    Range Increment: 15 m
    Hardness: 5 WP: 2
    Multifire/Autofire: M/A Cost: 2,000 Cr
    Weight: .6 kg
    Size: Small
    Notes: The standard type II holstered phaser attaches to the extended stock to give the weapon more overall sustained firepower. Can be fitted with a Pump Action Grenade launcher with a 5 round capacity, and a glow rod

Starfleet Type-III Phaser Carbine
    Weapon type: Phaser Carbine
    Range Increment: 20 m
    Hardness: 5 WP: 4
    Multifire/Autofire: M/A Cost: 4,000 Cr
    Weight: 1.1 kg
    Size: Medium
    Notes: It has flip up sight for aimed shots +1 circumstance bonus. Also has a targeting module that can ignore first two range increment modifiers and gives a +3 circumstance bonus to attacks when taking and aimed shot. Shooter must take a full round action to acquire target.

Starfleet Type-IV Phaser Rifle
    Weapon type: Phaser Rifle
    Range Increment: 25 m
    Hardness: 5 WP: 5
    Multifire/Autofire: M/- Cost: 8,000 Cr
    Critical: 18-20
    Weight: 2.0 kg
    Break DC: 15
    Notes: Has a targeting module that can ignore first two range increment modifiers and gives a +3 circumstance bonus to attacks when taking and aimed shot. Shooter must take a full round action to acquire target

Starfleet Isomagnetic Disintegrator
    Weapon type: Phaser Cannon
    Proficiency Group: Heavy
    Damage: Settings; 1, 3, 5, 8, 16
    Range Increment: 18.5 m
    Hardness: 5 WP: 6
    Multifire/Autofire: -/- Cost: 16,000 Cr
    Critical: 19-20
    Weight: 3.85 kg
    Break DC: 16

Starfleet Photon Grenade
    Weapon type: Grenade
    Proficiency Group: Simple weapons
    Damage: Flash, 3, 5, 8, 16
    Range Increment: 4 m (3-10 m)
    Hardness: 2 WP: 2
    Multifire/Autofire: - Cost: 500 Cr
    Weight: .2 kg
    Size: Tiny
    Special: They are roughly the same size as a large ink pen (12.7mm x 204 mm), and have a timer that can be set for up to 9.99 hours later. The grenade as a blast radius between 3 and 10 meters, and it can be thrown or fired from a DF Photon mortar or IF Rifle Grenade Launcher (RGL). They also come in hundred round belts and can be fired in an Automatic Grenade Launcher (AGL).

U.S.S. Columbia NCC-92379
    Craft: Sovereign-class EXH-92379
    Class: Capital Ship
    Size: Gargantuan (685 meters long)
    Passengers: 6,500 (15,000 emergency evacuation) Hyperdrive: LF-44e Mod 2 Warp System (8/9.7/9.95)
    Cargo capacity: 18,000 metric tons.
    Consumables: 3 years
    Cost: Not available for sale
    Maximum Speed Space: Ramming 8 (3200 G)
    Atmospheric Speed: none Crew: 855 Ace (+12)
    Initiative: +8 (-4 size, +12 crew)
    Maneuvers: +8 (-4 size, +12 crew)
    Defense: 16 (-4 size, +10 armor)
    Shield Bonus: +18/60 (regenerative)
    Hull points: 500 DR: 10

Weapon: 12 Type XII phasers (Grouped into batteries of 6) Fire arc: 1 fwd, 1 aft Attack bonus: +21 (-4 size, +12 crew, +8 fire control, +5 battery fire) Damage: 14d20 Range modifiers: PB +0, S-2, M -4, L -6
    Weapon: 12 Mk.95 DF Photon Torpedo Tubes, (grouped into batteries of 6) 175 Quantum torpedoes Fire arc: 1 fwd, 1 aft Damage: 14d20 Missile Quality: Amazing (+20)

Notes: The Columbia carries a number of support craft including, 4 type-11 shuttlecraft, 10 type-9 shuttlecraft, 24 type-18 shuttlepods, 18 workbees, and a Sovereign-class captain’s yacht. The Sovereign -class starships are one of Starfleet’s most capable starships, and are capable of a wide range of operations but routinely conduct exploration missions. The starship also uses tractor beams, although not normally in combat. *She also has regenerative shielding, and phasers. This class of starship also has Ablative Armor.

Ships motto;
    “Our journey into space will go on.”
    …President George W. Bush

Horizon NX-07
    Craft: NX-class CEX-07
    Class: Capital Ship
    Size: Large (225 meters long)
    Passengers: 300
    Hyperdrive: WE-5 Warp System (3/4/5)
    Cargo capacity: 10 kilotons
    Consumables: 2 years
    Cost: Not available for sale
    Maximum Speed Space: Cruising 3 (1200 G)
    Atmospheric Speed: 800 kph Crew: 82 Expert (+8)
    Initiative: +7 (-1 size, +8 crew)
    Maneuvers: +7 (-1 size, +8 crew)
    Defense: 19 (-1 size, +10 armor)
    Shield Bonus: none
    Hull points: 250 DR: 10 (Polarized Hull Plating, treat as ERA)

Weapon: 6 PC-10a Phase Cannons (Grouped into batteries of 3) Fire arc: 1 fwd, 1 aft Attack bonus: +15 (-1 size, +8 crew, +6 fire control, +2 battery fire) Damage: 6d20 Range modifiers: PB +0, S-2, M -4, L -6
    Weapon: 6 Mk. 1 IF Photonic Torpedo Tubes, 25 photon torpedoes Fire arc: 4 fwd, 2 aft Damage: 6d20 Missile Quality: Ordinary (+10)

Notes: The NX-class carries support craft including, 4 type-01 shuttlepods (two stored disassembled), and 2 inspection pods. The NX-class starships were man’s first starship capable of true interstellar travel, capable of reaching warp factor five. These starships conducted exploration missions expanding mankind’s knowledge of the galaxy in the mid twenty second century. The starships were also equipped with the first true “Transporter” which only had a range of two thousand kilometers. In 2153 all NX-class vessels were upgraded with better HPG Mk.4 Polarized Hull Plating, and a new torpedo known as the Mk.I Photonic Torpedo. The above stats reflect these upgrades.
    Last edited by capnhayes; 03-28-2005 at 03:14 AM.

A friend of mine has designed a d20 version of the Star Trek RPG. He's a ST fanatic. He has copies of every system published to date. He used the SRD as a basis and used some stuff d20 Future.

I thought he was completely nuts spending all his time on such a project. When he was done, I was impressed beyond belief. You can tell he did it just because he love the world and the game, a Star Trek game. He even printed it out and took it to a bindery and had it bound as a hard-cover book.

He posted on some group telling everyone about this project and everyone was very anxious to check it out. I mean really, what did they have to lose by checking it out, regardless of whether they prefer d20 or not?

Well, I discussed with him the potential dangers of distributing something like that. He does call it Star Trek, which I'm sure Paramount wouldnt like too much. He also used artwork 'borrowed' from online sources. They are all sketches, some color and some B&W. No photos are used, none. It makes it look very consistent and professional, but there are no permissions for the use of such works and some he may not even know who did them.

I may come back and see if I can get a copy that changes a couple things for those interested. I think the demand is there but stupid legalities prevent guys like this to produce what companies get tied up in making a buck over. Stay tuned...

Cool

Definitely

If I were doing a Star Trek d20 conversion I'd take a good look at the Stargate/spycraft system. My regular group and I have been playing Stargate for a while (i know the game's dead now) and it seems to have a lot of the qualities you'd seem to need game mechanics wise.

Now, there are major stumbling blocks with this. Starship combat rules would have to be adapted from something else as that is one things that doesn't seem to work well in Stargate. Come to think of it, it doesn't work that well in Star Wars either...guess you will have to look at other games for space combat inspiration. Maybe something tabletop like full thrust or the llike?

Quote Originally Posted by ds9guy
    If I were doing a Star Trek d20 conversion I'd take a good look at the Stargate/spycraft system. My regular group and I have been playing Stargate for a while (i know the game's dead now) and it seems to have a lot of the qualities you'd seem to need game mechanics wise.
    Wow, are you serious?

Stargate (Spycraft 1.5)/d20 Star Trek? I think I'd claw my eyes out.

Keep in mind I wrote for both game lines. (Coda Trek and d20 Stargate)

Terrain feats? Cyclic initiative? Gearing up for an Away Team mission and making a roll for your gear? A six page description of the Computer Use skill? Meta "departments" to simulate a Trill bonding? (Again, gotta eschew the perfectly good d20 Template system) A convoluted planetary generation system that makes Rolemaster look like a "lite" system?

You really want to play that game?
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

I'd say that has a definate snigger factor

The inititive thing is annoying, and the combined species thing needs fixing, but I guess it could work.. I wouldn't particularly like to play it But it could be made to work!

The Starships system could definatelly be ported from Coda, i love the Coda ships system best of all
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    The Starships system could definatelly be ported from Coda, i love the Coda ships system best of all
    My only problem with Coda is that it's so heavily TNG-VOY specific. As a TOS man, myself, I could do with something a bit more streamlined when dealing with my classic ships.

I mentioned Stargate on this thread becuase of the two d20 sci-fi games my group has played, it has been the most successful. It's not perfect but it seeems to work.

Obviously, a great deal would have to be done to convert any d20 game over to Star Trek.