Thread: CODA System Status

CODA System Status

Has anyone heard anything about the status of the CODA Sytem from Decipher.

I haven't seen any literature about its status and am interested in finding out what is the RPGs' potential fate.
    Going everywhere at the speed of plot

She's not quite dead!

Actually, from what I've seen, they're looking at the possibility of sub-licensing out. The RPGs make some money, but not enough, and the high-cost of the books is a bit putting-off for the suits upstairs. (No! Full color glossy interiors with hardback books costing a lot? Say it isn't true!)

As a system, doesn't look like Decipher is interested in tackling much more with it right now, though. Too bad, I would love to see the d20 stranglehold come to an end.

Okay...

Who is they and where is this information?

I have stopped playing the CODA system because of this stalemate... I have even gone to the company and asked them whats up. All I get is what I coin as 'deflection' answers.

They deflect it by bsing and going 'In the mean time here are some downlaodable adventures for your gropup to play...'

I get tired of this crap... WOTC and Games Workshop does a better job communicating then Decipher has. They are even advertising the Worlds book under the Star Trek Fan Club sight...

So what is the real story?

Are they giving up and shafting it to someone else? Or are they letting the contract run out so they can recoup their losses?

I think the Star Trek RPG license is cursed!

Either that, or the company (Decipher) is just plain inept.
    Old Age And Treachery Will Triumph Over Youth And Skill

Originally posted by Setvenharis
    I think the Star Trek RPG license is cursed!
    Cursed as in "un-marketable" compared to D&D, Star Wars, or other hack and slash RPGs?

I have stopped playing the CODA system because of this stalemate... I have even gone to the company and asked them whats up.
    Honestly, just because a company "stalemates" its game doesn't mean you have to stop playing. I do believe the Coda RPG is a complete system. If you have the four "core" books you're set to go for a lifetime. [devil's advocate] I might get a lot of flack for saying this but the "upcoming" products are not quite must haves in my book. I mean Star Trek is about exploring new worlds and new civilizations, so what is the point of getting a World sourcebook. TNG sourcebook sounds to be like episode summaries and filler. The Mirror sourcebook i found quite odd since it was based on a handful of Trek episodes. Admitly the Klingon sourcebook sounds very interesting and perhaps a worthwile purchase and I might be inclined in getting the Peacemaker book if it has anything relating to 22nd century Trek . Anyhow, this is in no disrepect to writers and designers who created these books. [/devil's advocate]
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

I do believe the Coda RPG is a complete system

Space_Cadet you are absolutely correct. Decipher's Coda Trek is indeed complete. In my humble opinion, Decipher, by putting out such detailed and complete core books, made any futher books a WANT and not a NEED. With all the information on Star Trek (Books, TV Shows, Movies and fan created material...) You can easily convert any of the supplements that were made for Star Trek(Fasa,LUG) and use them with the Coda system. There are so many more resources availble for Star Trek than for almost any subject, let alone an RPG.
    Doc

Dammit Jim, I'm a Tuba Player, Not a .....!!!!!!

Though to be fair to any of those three systems, they convert well to the others as well.

The material is out there whatever the source for whichever system you prefer to use. Each has its own set of core rules and all you really need is your imagination and some idea of what things your players like.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

Although I said this on the official site, I think it bears repeating here:

ST:RPG is a game. And not even the first incarnation of said game. By definition, it is all "want" and no "need."

Beyond that, I must admit that I seem to be at odds with most gamers in that I find the supplementary and expansion-type information far more useful for my campaigns than I do the core, "basic" books.

My games (as they are currently played over the internet) rely far more on storytelling, setting and imagery than they do on such things as game mechanics and dice rolling.

Therefore, my primary reason for buying the core books is so I might more fully understand and adapt the supplements to my game style when they come out.

IMHO, what has happened to the Trek line is roughly the equivalent of partnering with some guy on a science project where you do the first half of the project and he does the second, and once you've finished your half, he tells you that he's decided not to do that project anymore, and what's more he's partnering with somebody else.

First "They deserve an F" of Two
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I'm with Space Cadet and Doc - the system is pretty complete.

There was some wonderful background material already written for the Icon (Last Unicorn) version of the game, and it's readily convertible. I even use the old FASA stuff.

There's a lot of fan-written stuff on the net for all three games (and beyond). I also find researching the masses of official and semi-official books to be enjoyable in its own right.

...and horror of horrors I occasionally write my own

I do understand the need for adventures, especially for those that don't have the time, but as discussed elsewhere, there's little enough of those around elsewhere as it is.

Maybe those fan-writers need to get churning! There have been a couple of good ones around here - "Ghosts of the Past" was especially good.
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Okay... I am not asking about which system is better. Thats a superfluous and opinionated subject.

What I was asking for was if there was some sort of information as to the stauts of the license with Decipher.

Apparently everyone has the same information that I have have.

Possibly Don Mappin or Doug Burke are your best chances for an answere since both are or were closely related to Decipher.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Originally posted by Space_Cadet
    Possibly Don Mappin or Doug Burke are your best chances for an answere since both are or were closely related to Decipher.
    Unfortunately, I don't have any information to provide. Once I do, this will be the first place I post it.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.