Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The roleplaying thing?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul:
    No, all we do here is talk about it.

If the moderators et al have a facility for roleplaying online here, they've kept it to themselves and not let the rest of us schmucks in on it...

</font>
    Well, I suppose if we had some enterprising GMs, enough players to back up said GMs, and enough collective whining on everyone's part, we could probably convince our fair moderators to set up a forum for actual roleplay.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rottwang:
    Actually, message board roleplaying can be kind of fun. I've done it for Star Wars and DnD, but it can be a bandwidth nightmare for a webmaster though.

</font>
    True.... I played a long running (four year) World of Darkness game by message board back when BBS's were the rage. It was very rewarding as long as ground rules were laid out for how often you could post character actions....

One of the best things about RP by message board is that it eliminates the conflicting schedual problem.

One of the things I like about MB gaming is being able to think about my actions before doing them. I can look over notes and read source material in order to make a more accurate statement. Besides, I'm a better writer than I am an actor.

------------------
    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of
    their dreams."
    --Eleanor Roosevelt

Wink

>I have a dry sense of humour.

Really? Mine is shaken, not stirred...

------------------
    'Who would have thought... A brave Ferengi!'
    Gowron, to Quark, son of Keldar.

Martini is pretty dry aswell though.

------------------
    If in doubt,Choose to live.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flamestrike:
    Well, I suppose if we had some enterprising GMs, enough players to back up said GMs, and enough collective whining on everyone's part, we could probably convince our fair moderators to set up a forum for actual roleplay. </font>
    One of the most difficult things about PBEM/PBMB games is sustaining the campaign. Inevitably, since the pace is significantly slower than a live session, people tend to slack off on posting after several months.

I participated in one Trek PBEM, but they weren't using any rules (FASA or LUG), and there was no cohesive storyline. Then they tried to do a war ... it was a spectacular train wreck. Multiple players posted about the enemy superweapon, others had the same ship going off in different directions and taking different damage ... the Admiral didn't coordinate or sift through submissions to maintain continuity (hey, wait, that sounds like Voyager!)

Bob

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kaiddin:
    I have a dry sense of humour. </font>
    Sense of Humour? Mine's wet. Very, very wet.

------------------
    "...and more controversial than Oolon Colluphid's trilogy of philosophical blockbusters Where God went Wrong, Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes, and Who is this God Person Anyway?"
    - The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams (dec.)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Robert Lai:
    One of the most difficult things about PBEM/PBMB games is sustaining the campaign. Inevitably, since the pace is significantly slower than a live session, people tend to slack off on posting after several months.
    </font>
    Actually, that's the opposite of what I've encountered, at least on places where the posters are regular.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    I participated in one Trek PBEM, but they weren't using any rules (FASA or LUG), and there was no cohesive storyline. Then they tried to do a war ... it was a spectacular train wreck. Multiple players posted about the enemy superweapon, others had the same ship going off in different directions and taking different damage ... the Admiral didn't coordinate or sift through submissions to maintain continuity (hey, wait, that sounds like Voyager!)
    </font>
    AcK!!!!!! That's another thing. I'm talking more of a traditional RPG format, not the 'trading stories' type. Everyone should acknowlege that the GM/Narrator is the one who controls the universe, not the other way around.