Thread: [ICON] Modifying the Diplomatic Advantage

[ICON] Modifying the Diplomatic Advantage

There was some confusion in my group regarding the “ranks” provided in the Diplomatic Rank Advantage; which also lead to the pondering of what those positions actually do. I came up with the following information to clarify things. Its nothing special, just real world stuff put into game terms. It helped clarify things for my group; maybe someone else would find it useful as well.

DIPLOMATIC RANK

Cost/Rank
    0 Attache
    1 Resident
    2 Charge d'Affairs
    3 Minister
    4 Envoy
    5 Ambassador
    6 Assistant Secretary
    7 Deputy Secretary
    8 Undersecretary
    9 Secretary/Chief Diplomat

Starting with the most expensive: 6 Secretary/Minister. The ICON Advantage did not cover a six point cost. I added it for completeness sake. Everyone is familiar with this, it is simply the director of a Foreign Office or Department of State.

5 Ambassador: a diplomatic agent of the first rank. Everyone is familiar with these so we move on. . .

4 Envoy: a diplomatic agent of the second rank. Their duties are that of an Ambassador, but without permanent station. They are assigned temporary assignments: attending conferences, negotiating treateis, or simply representing a nation upon ceremonial occasions. Their recidence, office and staff, as with an Ambassador, is called an embasy. Like an Ambassador, they will have frequent contact with foreign heads of state.

3 Minister: a dimplomatic agent of the third rank. Their duties do not differ in nature, but only in proportions, from those of agents ranking above them; and unlike an Envoy, they have a permanent assignment. Their residence, office and staff is called a legation. They would have frequent contact with foreign office Directors/Secretaries, and infrequent contact with foreign heads of state.

2: Charge d'Affairs: a diplomatic agent of the fourth rank. Unlike the agents ranking above them, they are not accredited from one head of state to another, but from one cabinet office to another. They are technical aids on staff to the agents ranking above them, and would have frequent contact with technical aids of the host government.

1 Resident: As with the Charge d'Affairs the Resident is not accredited. Posted to the important ports and trade centers of foreign governments to aid and protect its nationals. They would have frequent contact with local authorities and little to no contact with the host government. The residence, office and staff is called a consulate. [The terms "Resident" and "Consul" are interchangeable, they are the same thing.]

0 Attache: As with the two above, this position is not accredited. Although assigned to the staff of the above positions they are not diplomatic personnel, rather their duties are administrative in nature.

HEAD OF MISSION

Cost/Description
    1 Residency
    2 Consulate
    3 Legation
    4 Embasy

4 Embasy: The primary residence and office of diplomatic staff to an important strategic or commercial foreign world.

3 Legation: The primary residence and office of diplomatic staff to a foreign world not accredited an embassy.

2 Consulate: The primary residence and office of staff to an important commercial city or zone. There will usually be an embasy or legation assigned to the world, but not necessarily.

1 Residency: The primary residence and office of staff to a foreing commercial city or zone not serviced by a Consulate. Typically temporary, used to judge the necessity or need of establishing a consulate.
    Last edited by redwood973; 09-01-2008 at 01:49 PM.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

I think an Envoy can have a permanent station as well. ITs just junior to that of the ambassador. You usually only have one embassy in another state/ national entity, but there are several consulates in larger cities or this case planets which are then lead by an envoy, I think.
    The lower you get the more junior they become and I'd assume that you find many Residents, Attaches, Charge d'Affairs and the like in an ebmassy and consulate working at lower levels. I would further assume that this differs not too much from the hierachical system in the military. Considering the costs of the advantages it should be possible to compare those ranks/ posts with the Starfleet equivalents and extrapolate their status from there.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Just a Little. . .

bump to make it easier to find for me.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Well, since I'm now seeing that the Price of Freedom Civilian Overlays are not the equal of those in the DS9 book I must first refine the Diplomat Overlay to give us all a 36-point option before doing some training/career packages.

Unless anyone has already done a 36-point option when the DS9 book came out. Anyone know if this would be floating around here anywhere?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Thought I'd scribble out a quick note to myself before bed since this was on my mind and came up with. . .

Federation Diplomat

Diplomacy (choose) 2 (3)
    Language: Native of Posted World 1
    Law (Interstellar) 2 (3)
    Science, Social (Political Science) 1 (2)

Computer (Research) 1 (2)
    Culture (Posted World) 1 (2)
    History (Posted World) 1 (2)
    Persuasion (choose) 1 (2)
    Wold Knowledge (Posted World) 2 (3)

How's it look. Thoughts or ideas?
    Last edited by redwood973; 02-21-2008 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Revison of Overlay
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

I suggest dropping the second specializations and give them Computer (Research) 1(2).

Second specilizations can wait until "postings" (tours of duty).

Very true. . .the overlay should represent someone just out of the starting gate and this is a bit much isn't? Corrected. Thanks.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Okay, I meant to do these a long, long time ago. Better late than never, right? I know civilians don't do the tour of duty thing, but I think diplomats should be handled more like the officers of Starfleet. So. . .

DIPLOMATIC PACKAGES

Tour of Duty Packages (Each costs 10 Development Points
    Consular Service: The character spent time posted to either a consulate or embassy where commercial, rather than diplomatic, interests were the focus of his duties.
    >> Fast Talk 1 OR Intimidation (Bluster) 1 (2); Law (Posted World Commercial Law) 2 (3); World Knowledge (Posted World) 1 (2); Rival (choose Appropriate) -2.

Senior Delegate: The character was assigned to lead his governments delegation to the world he was posted.
    >> Culture (Posted World) 1 (2); Diplomacy (choose) 1 (2); World Knowledge (Posted World) 1 (2); Contact (choose Appropriate) +1.

First Contact: The character lead a delegation assigned to contact a newly encountered civilizaiton.
    >> Diplomacy (Interstelar Affairs) 1 (2); Law (Federation OR Interstellar Law) 1 (2); Science, Social (Sociology) 1 (2); Cultural Flexibility +1.

Embassy Posting: The character was a minor member of his governments delegation, where he oversaw the day to day workings of the delegation.
    >> Administration (Bureaucratic) 1 (2); Diplomacy (choose two) 1 (2) (2); Language (Native of Posted World) 1.

Special Envoy: The character was charged with dealing with an unuaual or extraordinary diplomatic situation.
    >> Diplomacy (choose) 1 (2); Law (choose) 1 (2); Persuasion (Negotiation) 1 (2); +1 Logic Edge.

Additional Tours (Each costs 5 Development Points
    Consular Service: Culture (Posted World) OR Streetwise (Underworld of Posted World) 1 (2); Shrewd +1; +1 Renown (Skill).
    Senior Delegate: Language (Native of Posted World) 1; History (Posted World) 1 (2); -1 Renown (Openness).
    First Contact: Culture (Contacted World) 1 (2); +1 Perception Edge; +1 Renown (Openness).
    Embassy Posting: World Knowledge (Posted World) 1 (2); +2 Renown (Skill).
    Special Envoy: Mediation (choose) 2 (3); Arrogant OR Domineering -1

There are some advantages and disadvantages listed for diplomatic characters in The Price of Freedom, but there are so many good ones that would really add to the character: Ally, Argumentative, Arrogant, Code of Honor, Contact, Cultural Flexibility, Diplomatic Rank, Domineering, Guilt, Head of Mission, Language Ability, Patron, Shrewd, Rival.

Think of the fun you could have with exploring a character who takes the Additional Tour: Special Envoy Package but decides against Arrogant or Domineering and instead picks Guilt (-1) becuse the mission failed and the character felt personally responsible for the [insert what ever bad happend as a result of the failure]. Endless possibilities from exploring how this haunts the character to how it affects his current assignement. Plus, give those Starfleet Councilors something to do.

Oh, let me know if I missed any package ideas. These were all I could think of.
    Last edited by redwood973; 09-09-2008 at 01:07 PM.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Good stuff !
    As always, thanks for sharing

Thanks, RealPity. You wouldn't have happend to have thought up a few more ideas for Diplomatic Tours have you? Seems like there should be a lot more than just five, but I've not been able to come up with anymore.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Looks nice. Makes me wish my players would play diplomats once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    Looks nice. Makes me wish my players would play diplomats once in awhile.
    Use a little Klingon Diplomacy to talk them into it. . .I'll loan you my disruptor.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Quote Originally Posted by redwood973 View Post
    Use a little Klingon Diplomacy to talk them into it. . .I'll loan you my disruptor.
    Drat! There goes another party of PCs. I keep forgetting that those things don't have 3 stun settings.