Thread: The echo factor

Question The echo factor

I really want to start a Star Trek campaign (or series, since that format pleases me most) but I have always had one fear: that once I start GMing my sessions will be filled with information echo. By this I mean that whenever a character asks another one for some sensor readings, for example, the player manning the sensor station will ask me the readings and then repeat exactly what I just told him to the other player... This sounds really silly to me and I'd like to know if this has happened to you and what could I do to prevent it.

Thanks folks. Live long and prosper.

I've never had that problem. If I give the players such info, they don't bother repeating it, they take it as given that they've passed on the results and go on to the interpretation of the results. There's really no reason for them to repeat the info - it may be a role-playing game, but it's not a performance. Treat it the way they did on TOS - when the computer verbally answered Spock, he didn't repeat the repky to Kirk, did he?

Of course, if you want to go for a tongue-in-cheek effect, you can always have them playing a GalaxyQuestesque Sigourney Weaver/Gwen deMarco/Lieutenant Tawney Madison-type character.

LOL! I really love that movie... Well, I guess that's a great relief for me... Now all I have to do is finding a crew.

My players have always been pretty good about turning to each other after I've explained something to one of them and saying, "I tell you that." This is the way I've noticed it generally works.

The exception to this, and this is only really relevant if one of your players is playing a spy or otherwise sneaky SOB, is when they intend to alter the information you've provided them. My players have done it a few times in my Star Wars game (which occaisionally felt a little more ST than it did SW)... its really an iffy proposition, but if your group is really good about player versus character knowledge then it can make things pretty interesting at times.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. Players usually want to hear the echo even less than you do, in my experience. As the GM you just get a chance to glance over your notes, the players are the ones who're really just wasting time ^_^

The popular saying aroung my group is "I channel the GM".

I have occasionally also used the secret note system. On a few occasions players have para-phrased, using a dramatic licence , to say exactally what was said.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

If I have the time, I usually prepare 3x5 cards of any place I expect them to be using the sensors or other systems to gather information for and then hand these out based upon the most appropriate it one for the results of the test and let them decide how to inform the others.

Otherwise, it is like what everyone else has said, most players just take it in stride that the characters informed each other of their findings.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

It's amazing how many times players in my game can forget half of what I said (I.e. usually the important parts) just imediatelly after I said it.. so getting them to repeat it is less of a problem than ME having to repeat it!

I just assume that the players have informed each other of what is going on, because while they might be bumbling fools on occasion, their characters are highly trained officers, and know how to do their job.. Unless it's pivotal to the story ark, or they can't physically have told each other for plot reasons.

As amusing as Gwen Demarco was on Galaxy Quest, that was a parody, and it would get a little repetitive, though if you have someone well versed in Trek Lore then it might be useful to have them explain what the technobabble I just said was to the players.
    Ta Muchly