Thread: ROTK Boxed set

ROTK Boxed set

Just thought I'd ask who's got this, and who's sat through everything I've not made it through all of the documentaries, but then I have only spent a day (how to get a headache - spend a day watching making of videos in the dark) but so far it's been a pretty good ride!

So what did people think of the changes and additions? It was a shame they didn't add some of the elements I'd hoped they would, but there were some fantastic aditions.

Thoughts and opinions!
    Ta Muchly

Though nice to see Eowyn and Faramir at the House of Healing, I kinda wish they mentioned what happened to Legolas and Gimli after the War of the Rings for the DVD audience.

Otherwise, there is no change in my reaction to the Extended Edition as I have with the Theatrical Edition.

The easter eggs weren't as funny as the previous EE DVDs. Was kinda hoping for bloopers and outtakes, or even better, that missing music video or live performance of Annie Lennox singing the Oscar-winning Movie Original Song, "Into the West."

P.S. Nice tribute to Cameron Duncan.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Something about the way that they cut Two towers left me feeling some of the shots they added broke up the drama somewhat: Which I didn't find with this. It was gratuitously long, but then it needed to be to fit the whole thing in, and as Peter said it would have been anticlimactic to have the Raising of the shire in the movie when they'd just done such cool effects sequences.

The amount of work that went in to the film just blows my mind. Watching the work that the various departments did that you barelly notice of see in the film, but if it wasn't there it'd somehow be lacking. The work that went in to the Grey havens, such a beautiful model that was only used for a few shots, seems almsot wasteful. It's just a shame they couldn't keep more of the sets and models in a museum somewhere, ,it could be a huge tourist attraction for New Zealand to be able to walk down that street in Minas Tirith, inside Bag end or down Fangorn forest, but then I suspect that movie magic adds allot to plaster and expandable foam
    Ta Muchly

Unhappy

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive I think it must have got lost in the post, as a the other part of my order from Amazon arrived fine!

I'll let you know when I get to see it!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Well I won't spoil it too much for you! It was hard to see where they added all of those minutes, but I suspect it's lots of little sequences, all just a few minutes long, all adding up

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    The amount of work that went in to the film just blows my mind. Watching the work that the various departments did that you barelly notice of see in the film, but if it wasn't there it'd somehow be lacking. The work that went in to the Grey havens, such a beautiful model that was only used for a few shots, seems almsot wasteful. It's just a shame they couldn't keep more of the sets and models in a museum somewhere, ,it could be a huge tourist attraction for New Zealand to be able to walk down that street in Minas Tirith, inside Bag end or down Fangorn forest, but then I suspect that movie magic adds allot to plaster and expandable foam
    There was a time when they wanted to make a world tour displaying the armories from the films, but ran into trouble with the Tolkien Estate and Christopher Tolkien regarding trademark and/or copyright use issues. They abandoned the plan to avoid more hassles from the old fart.

I may praise Christopher for continuing his father's works, including the Silmarilion but I think he took his father's opinion about LOTR being unfilmable to an exaggerated, overzealous level.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Actually watching one of the 'making of's' it was a curious parody of how you mention here but... (given that I know little other than what the movie and extras tell me, this being based off that property) originally when Tolkein envisaged Middle earth, he intended it to be a history of the world, and for other writers to use it as a tool to to create their own stories based in the world, he abandoned that mostly through old age: but I find it ironic how precious the tolkein estate has been with the proerty, especially because really when it ammounts to it most of the work of the films *IS* original work based on the worlds Tolkein invented.. So its ironic that they can't then show that work, as an hommage to his work and life.. It only Damages the estate, and diminishes the art and craft of all of the people who worked on it!

Maybe one day we will see films based on untold and poorly detailed (giving them room to grow) stories from the world. The Hobbit of course, but maybe the forging of the rings, and the creation of all that went before the films, all being fantastic stories barelly hinted at in the films. The world has such depth you want to see more!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    There was a time when they wanted to make a world tour displaying the armories from the films, but ran into trouble with the Tolkien Estate and Christopher Tolkien regarding trademark and/or copyright use issues. They abandoned the plan to avoid more hassles from the old fart.
    Hmm, didn't seem to cause too many problems with the exhibition at the London Science Museum - but then, that was hardly a world tour!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Quote Originally Posted by Imagus
    Hmm, didn't seem to cause too many problems with the exhibition at the London Science Museum - but then, that was hardly a world tour!
    Nah. Because if the tour was really happening, I'd already be camping out way before the box office open to get myself tickets, assuming it would pass through Hawaii.

A guy by the username of Reverend Strone visits the Holonet forums and so happens to be one of the artists that worked on the LOTR films.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan