Thread: "Virtual Federation"

"Virtual Federation"

Greetings.

The {UFP} Gaming Fleet is developing a completely new identity. Not merely a clan/fleet playing Trek games, but an RP based community that will take the entire structure of the Federation and convert it into a functional, canon community.
    Everyone officially represented in the Trek universe we plan to create will be given some form of identity. Whether it be a citizen of the Federation (a member), a regular visitor who wishes to take part in character, or an official delegate from other clans/communities representing their organisation in the form of a foreign empire or "independent world", they will all be included.
    Those not yet officially recognised, or not wanting to role-play in character will still be able to communicate via our Out of Character (OOC) forums where we'll be discussing anything from the latest episode of Enterprise, to what someone had for breakfast and why it'll kill em...

Upon applying for citizenship (handing in a basic biography) and passing a citizenship test, citizens will be free to take their character into the virtual universe. They may choose a career in the Federation government, such as the State Department, or Infrastructure. Or if they own one of the UFP's supported games, they can sign up to Starfleet Academy and take on the appropriate curriculum course.
    They can join an independent organisation, like the Federation Herald, and become a journalist reporting on the many in character stories generated by the community.
    Another option is to create a career of their own. So long as it's related to Star Trek and has an actual function, it is very likely to be accepted. It may include such careers as starship retailing. In this instance we will provide webspace to develop a small website for selling goods and creating a physical location in the Federation where you may sell your goods... all this inside an economics system. One which we're trying to keep as trek-like as possible.
    Of course citizens are also free to just lounge and enjoy the holodeck, write a holonovel or keep the bar stool warm at Ren's Bar.

Our forums will facilitate most communications for both in character and out of character talk. MSN Messenger will be mandatory so that each member is on the same messenger service for basic to RP communications.
    The website which is currently under construction will be designed to give the sensation of actualy travelling through Federation space. Instead of a black page with LCARS, we wish to create an actual location where possible, so you see the console and the panels with the LCARS on them, or the corridors, buildings etc around you (an example of this can be found on our development forum).
    The website whilst also being almost like a game in itself, will be as personal as we can possibly make it. Giving each member a place to post their bio, their own personal log in, which will bring them to their place of business (or possibly home), and an inventory of personal items bought and credits/latinum in their possession.
    It'll also help facilitate news, opinion polls, Starfleet reports, an elections for government officials (including the Office of the Presidency) etc.

While the website and forums will be important to keeping the atmosphere of being in a virtual trek universe, a lot will also rest on people's personal conduct. Each citizen will be expected to RP in the confines of the Trek universe, the happenings of the Federation at the time, and rules we will lay out for in character talk.

While a lot of the UFP will be about RPing, gaming will also take centre stage. Starfleet will in essence be the gaming clan section of the community. People are free to play games casually or take part in character, and create scenarios which they may report back to the Federation upon.

There is a lot more I can cover but it's probably best that if anyone is interested so far that they visit our development forum at http://unity.ufplanets.com. Right now it's in simple subsilver, mainly because we intend on waiting for the release of phpBB 2.2 before going all out on a new skin.

Sound like a big project? Well it certainly is. I would be lying if I said the launch date would be any time soon. I and the rest of the development team are more committed to getting this community right then getting it released ASAP. There are many intracacies and details to be worked out, but I feel that's part of the fun in the end.
    If you feel you'd like to be a part of this project, we are now accepting job applications for a number of Federation careers. Those applying early to help develop the department of their choice will undoubtedly learn more about the department and it's processes and thus will be more eligible for the upper level positions within them.
    But even if you want to drop on by and give us your opinions, feel free to do so. We welcome and appreciate all insights, especially from avid Trek fans. The more we have, the better the community will end up. Just take a look at http://unity.ufplanets.com or email us at ac@ufplanets.com for more information or to be added to our mailing list.

I hope you find this of interest, and have hung in there through this big post

regards,
    John Hathaway
    Project Development Leader

Sounds intriguing...

But, what's a "clan"? And what do you mean by "gaming"?
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

It sounds more like a SIM or freeform, shared writing endeavor so you might want to add more of an explanation as to how the FASA, LUG, or Decipher games fit into this little project.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

To answer the first question, a clan is a gaming organisation taking the latest online capable Star Trek games such as Bridge Commander and Elite Force. Some are more intracate then others, but basically people gather together and play these games online with fellow members and other clanners. This was the original intent for the UFP, but due to circumstances between Viacom and Activision (long story if you don't know it) we decided to create something completely new and unique.
    "Gaming" in the community on completion will only be with the latest online Star Trek games, including; ST: Bridge Commander, ST: Elite Force 1&2, ST: Armada 1&2 and ST: Starfleet Command 3. It will also include Star Trek: Online upon it's launch in 2007. This is for those who want to join Starfleet and act out scenarios that can be played out in these games, and then reported back.

I must admit I've never heard of FASA or LUG before though I am familiar with Decipher. I can't see how they could be officially intergrated into the RP "universe" we'll be creating. But as mentioned in my first post, there will be OOC (Out of Character) areas for discussion on all things, Trek and non-trek.
    One way we've figured of getting around allowing people to play non-trek games in character is by putting them under the disguise of simply being in a holodeck. Without giving a specific answer, it is possible that other elements both trek and non-trek could be intergrated in a similar fashion.

Ah, computer gaming - that explains it!

And puts it out of my ken unfortunately - the closest I get to online gaming is pbem I much prefer table-top gaming.

I wish you every piece of luck in your endeavour!

FYI, LUG (Last Unicorn Games) were the previous holders of the roleplaying game license (before Decipher inherited both LUG's license and staff - then decided to abandon it). FASA did the original RPG from about 1980 to around 1988, based on the TOS and movie properties. Much source material, some of which is usable for the modern Trekverse, some not.
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

You needn't worry about not having any of the PC Star Trek games. It's only for individuals looking to role-play in Starfleet in that environment.
    We've had prelimenary discussions about adding a section of Starfleet for pure forum based RPing, but we came to the conclusion that without inspiration it would be difficult to work out how the storylines of multiple (or even one) starship(s) would fit into the Federation's status on a whole... and the other communities representing foreign worlds and powers. I was in a PBeM RPG group last year and none of the starships interacted with eachother because it was simply too dofficult to keep it all well co-ordinated.
    Still... we're not done thinking

Oh and Merry Christmas
    Last edited by Hathaway; 12-25-2004 at 11:07 AM. Reason: tis the season to be jolly fa la la la la, la la la la

What system were you using in the PBEM?

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean by system. But we communicated through yahoo groups websites for each starship (for emailing and transcript keeping only). Each one also had a personal website with images, crew roster, deck layout list etc. Plus a central website with a database and news and information on the RPG group.
    Each starship had on average 8 people serving onboard. There were sometimes talks of getting ships together but as you probably know, internet folk aren't the most reliable and I believe it was deemed implausible.

RPG systems would be LUG's ICON, Decipher's CODA, or FASA's material. But it sounds like you had more of a free form game then one based on any one system.

Regards,
    CKV.