Thread: A question about the Husnock

Question A question about the Husnock

Has anyone ever used the Husnock in his/her game?

There is not much known about them...
    At the time of their demise there were about 50 Billion Husnock around.
    They were quiet aggressive and probably very warlike.
    The Douwd on Rana IV killed them in a fit of anger....
    There is very much blank space to develop.
    Has anyone ever used them or relics of their culture?
    Wich leads to another question:
    What happens when a race with interstellar capabilities and designs to rule over an pocket empire disapears suddenly?

Well, it depends on when you place the Douwd's destruction of the Husnock in your timeline. The Douwd himself never actually said when he destroyed them only that he did after a Husnock attack killed his wife. Based on the background and exposition by the Douwd in the episode in question, we can assume that he destroyed the Husnock within about 250-300 years of the date Picard and crew met him.

As for me personally, I've never had cause to use the Husnock as a species; I have, however, been mulling over the idea of characters exploring their abandoned civlization post-Douwd.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Quote Originally Posted by Ezri's Toy
    Well, it depends on when you place the Douwd's destruction of the Husnock in your timeline. The Douwd himself never actually said when he destroyed them only that he did after a Husnock attack killed his wife.
    Actually, he did. He said he took human form 50 years before and that's when he met and married his wife. Thus the Husnock had to have been obliterated at some time between 2316 and 2366...

Once could argue he simply made it so they never existed, but if he had, his wife and the inhabitants of Rana IV would still be alive and there'd be no episode...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

I'm not sure if he mentions how long he had lived with his wife prior to the actual attack in the episode but if it was not mentioned I would consider setting it maybe thirty to forty years prior to the episode in the timeframe that Doug mentions as that helps decrease the amount of contact or chance of contact Starfleet may have had with the Hussnock.

Mind, I don't recall whether or not it is mentioned that Starfleet even knew about the Hussnock prior to arriving there.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

I plan to have the Husnock to appear in the background of some episodes.
    The Husnock had subjugated some sentinent species, who were far to primitive to offer any real resistance against the Husnock. The Husnock used these Races as laborers in their ongoing quest tu build their own Interstellar Empire.

The Douwd killed all Husnock instantly. Something like blasting their minds or some other awfulland really painfull death...
    This left the slaves of their Pocket Empire to their own devices, after a time of turmoil the two most popoulus of the 5 subjugated races had themselves organized enough to embark on space voyages of their own.
    Both races use similar (Husnock based) technology and are now trying to wage war on one another. The other Planets of the former "Husnock empire" have become the battleground of the warring factions. Husnock technology and their settelments are actively plundered for advanced technology to further the war effort.
    Im not quiet sure about how to involve my players to this background. Most probably they will be part of a diplomatic mission as the Federation tries to solve the conflict.

As for the Husnock Ship that appears in the TNG episode im not sure if this ship is really a original Husnock design.
    Uxbridge tells Picard that he tried in vain to lure the Husnock away from the colony as he tried with the Enterprise, so he probably designed the "Husnock ship" in the episode,and the real Husnock ship never apeared on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    Actually, he did. He said he took human form 50 years before and that's when he met and married his wife. Thus the Husnock had to have been obliterated at some time between 2316 and 2366...

Once could argue he simply made it so they never existed, but if he had, his wife and the inhabitants of Rana IV would still be alive and there'd be no episode...
    OK. I stand corrected. It's been at least 5 years since I last saw the episode in question.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Quote Originally Posted by Ezri's Toy
    OK. I stand corrected. It's been at least 5 years since I last saw the episode in question.
    I admit it. I cheated. http://www.startrek.com is your friend.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Okay, maybe I'm a little wonky here, but why on Earth would we assume that Uxbridge destroyed the Husnock at any time other than just a few days prior to the episode?

IIRC, the Enterprise received the distress call 3 days before the episode.

Assuming the call was sent via subspace, it would have travelled faster than the Enterprise can. Making a maximum of 6 days between initial signal and Enterprise arrival.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

It really depends upon what information is in the episode itself and what the needs of one's campaign is.

I have not seen the episode in years so I do not remember many details of it but leaving the toys of a dead civilization is great cause for plenty of fun. *grin*

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."