Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On-forum games

On-forum games

While on the Wizards of the Coast website recently, I made the discovery that they have long had support for "forum" games of D&D where people can run RPG games on the message boards.
    This is mainly a question for moderators, but would it be possible for us to run a forum game here on the TrekRPG.net forums? The format on the WotC website does great for running several different games at the same time on one forum, so we could have quite a few different episodes running if more than one person wanted to run a forum game. I think this would be a great alternative to PBEM, as it would not have the "server delays" that it takes for messages to be processed and sent by group servers like Yahoo Groups.

And for non-moderators, how many people would be interested ins something like this if we could possibly get it up and running?
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

If someone could explain just how a RPG over a message board was conducted, sure, I'm game.

Originally posted by Ineti
    If someone could explain just how a RPG over a message board was conducted, sure, I'm game.
    It works as follows:

The narrator will post starting text, just like what they would say to start an adventure in a tabletop RPG... it sets the scene, gets the plot started, etc. Then the players post their responses, with info about dice rolls they are making if necessary, and the narrator replies with roll results, continued action of the story, etc. It's kinda hard to explain in words. If you want this kind of idea in action, go to http://boards.wizards.com/community-...ubb=forum&f=20 - this is WotC's board for forum-based D&D games. Glance over a few of the threads and I think you'll get the idea.

It works very well. I am a player in 2 forum based games and run 1.

As player
    -Star Trek
    -Pendragon

Running:
    -A Romulan game.

All the games are very enjoyable.

So everyone creates a character, just like a paper-baed game, and they roll the dice "at home", sort of an on-your-honor system?

Or does the GM do all the rolling?

On your honour

It all depends on whether you are confident in the honour of your players or not... The two methods are used on the net...

In all the games I'm involved in the GM rolls the dice, interprets what the mechanics of the game say and then posts it as part of the storyline.

Well this looks interesting. If somebody launches a game on this board, I may try to join, this time.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I'd still like to get moderator permission, though. Moderators? This okay with you?

Depending on how strict the GM is I may offer to join.
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Originally posted by Silverthorne
    Depending on how strict the GM is I may offer to join.
    The GM would probably be me... which could be a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

Hey, ehershman, how is this idea turning out ?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I don't have any objections. I wouldn't give games their own forum, however, nor restrict access. That means, potentially, anyone could participate.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Hey, if it's Coda Trek, I'm game. Let me know.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz