Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TrekRPG Next Generation Sourcebook

And now, in the words of Shang Tsung, a taste of things to come...

A preview of the first half (give or take) of the Season One chapter (MS Word format).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

That is excellent work.

Renny

Quote Originally Posted by Renny
    That is excellent work.

Renny
    Thanks.

My approach to writing this thing is doing everything associated with the episode (the summary, plot hooks, and all game references) before moving on to the next one. So everything under Game References in each of those entries, unless a reference to something in another book? Done.

I'm doing 1-2 episodes a day, at least I am now that I'm back working on this thing.
    chris "mac" mccarver

Well, like I said, i'd be willing to have a crack at it. I figure if a few people get on board the project then it shouldn't take too long to get through the episodes.
    Any preference as to which episodes I should start with?

Regards

Renny

Oh, BTW. Do you have any tips or guidelines on how to stat up characters? Like, how do you judge the number of advancements you give to a guest character, that sort of thing.

Cheers

Renny

In the game references section, I think I'd change the format to something more like this:

From Farpoint:

original:

Bandi: See Chapter X: Aliens
    Farpoint Entity: See Chapter X: Aliens
    Q (individual): See Chapter X: Supporting Cast
    Q (species): See Aliens, pp. 123-125.
    Zorn: See Chapter X: Supporting Cast

suggested change:

Aliens: Bandi, Farpoint Entity, Q (species) (Aliens)
    Supporting Cast: Q (individual), Zorn
    Worlds: Deneb IV

The parenthetically italicized Aliens (or XX) represents the Decipher book of that name. Because the Aliens, Creatures, and Starships books are so clearly laid out, I don't think I'd bother with page numbers for those books, though for the PG, NG and SOM, it would probably be a good idea. Even when putting page numbers in, I'd be more inclined to just put the start page, like so for Q -- (Aliens, 123). Just my .02, but it would save both space and typing.
    Last edited by Sho-sa Kurita; 02-28-2005 at 09:32 AM.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Quote Originally Posted by Mac417
    Alien race writeups
    Starships
    Character stats
    Gear
    Episode summaries w/plot hooks
    Overview of the Enterprise
    Series timeline
    Actually I would want them all in there, but here's my take on the hotly debated episode summaries. In the chapter intro, make mention of the detailed episode descriptions on the official ST site, and then use only the TV Guide blurb included on the episode page. I happen to have the Enterprise episode Terra Nova open at the moment, so here's the example:

Archer and the Enterprise crew set out to learn what happened to the lost human colony of Terra Nova, and discover a tribe of human-hating cave dwellers.
    So, just blurb, plot hooks (definitely!), and the game references.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Hmm... yeah, that might work, Sho.

BTW, up to "Arsenal of Freedom" as of last night.

Season One nearly there, suckas!
    chris "mac" mccarver

Hi

How about I start at the other end of the show with Season 7?
    I'll start with "Liasons", as "Descent" and "Descent Part II" should probably be handled together as part of Season 6?

I'd still be interested in your take on Advancements for NPC write ups.

Cheers

Renny

Quote Originally Posted by Renny
    Hi

How about I start at the other end of the show with Season 7?
    I'll start with "Liasons", as "Descent" and "Descent Part II" should probably be handled together as part of Season 6?

I'd still be interested in your take on Advancements for NPC write ups.

Cheers

Renny
    Well, I'm not really taking Advancements too far to heart with the NPC writeups. I'm basically modeling the characters by creating them with the standard character creation system then building on that framework by elevating their skill levels and such according to how the character was portrayed in the series. I weighed this method versus actually figuring out the Advancements, and I opted to go the route of the former since it's a little more intuitive.

But yeah, the top of Season 7 short of Descent sounds like a good starting point. I'd just concentrate on the episode summaries (one paragraph maximum) and whatever possible plot hooks you could provide. I can go through and add any others if any come to mind. I am, however, going to split up Descent between the Season 6 and Season 7 chapters, though. The approach of the chapters is more about what happened in that year of the show, not just what was televised. Each of the season chapters will include a brief timeline (probably at the beginning) that shows each of the major events in the order they happened, including and in relation to the episodes.

Hope that helps. Thanks for taking some the weight off, and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

EDIT: BTW, I've been using the TNG script archive at http://www.st-minutiae.com for help on the research. Take it with a grain of salt, as some of the scripts are early drafts, but they've been a big help.

Oh, and to provide everyone a progress update, I have two species templates, one equipment entry, and the plot hooks for six episodes and I will be done with the Season One Chapter and everything referenced from it.
    chris "mac" mccarver

Ok

I've started on the writeups, and following your advice i'll stick to episode summary and plot hooks for now. I'll post them when i've got a few done.

Cheers

Renny

Awesome, Renny, can't wait.

Oh, and new preview, folks...

Behold, what I've gotten done on the Aliens chapter.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    chris "mac" mccarver

Quickly scanned through.. A couple of things I've noted.. You need to give a size and stats for the 'Farpoint entity' for a comparitive combat. It's a tough call to make, as we didn't see much combat with it, but it needs to be there, otherwise those weapon ratings are effectivelly meaningless. The shapeshifting power is probably better named 'matter energy manipulation' - as they are capable of transforming matter to energy and vice versa - enabling comparitive effects of transporters and replicators, as well as their shapeshifting.

Without checking though what's there looks very good - well done!
    Ta Muchly

Well, i'm finally making some progress on the Season 7 writeups. I've gotten through eight episodes so far and would like to offer the following as a sample;

Mission Log 254:
    LIASONS

Stardate Unknown

The Enterprise hosts two Iyaaran ambassadors on a cultural exchange while Captain Picard travels in their shuttle to the Iyaaran home world. Whilst en route to Iyaar, the shuttle crashes on a hostile planet, leaving the pilot Voval badly injured. Searching for help, Picard is rendered unconscious by a plasma discharge, and awakens to find himself in the care of a human woman, Anna, herself apparently the survivor of an earlier crash. She quickly declares that she is in love with Picard, but works to prevent his efforts to summon help. Meanwhile, Worf is having difficulty adapting to his new role as host to one of the Iyaaran ambassadors. The Iyaarans, it transpires are attempting to understand elements of human behaviour beyond their understanding and Worfs self-control is tested to the limit. Picard’s rescuer, Anna, is revealed as Voval, himself an Iyaaran ambassador who was attempting to understand the most confusing concept of all… love.
    Once Picard discovers the subterfuge, he is returned to the Enterprise, and the Iyaarans leave with some of the insight they were seeking.

Plot Hooks:

What is this thing you Earthmen call love? The cultural exchange is a great way to provide your characters with some light relief, or high drama. The ambassadors from another culture are bound to do things differently and cultural misunderstanding can create some great role-playing opportunities. Have one of the ambassadors fall madly in love with a character, or react badly to some perceived slight and demand satisfaction at every opportunity. Alternatively, perhaps the motive for cultural exchange is more sinister, and these ambassadors are actually Special Forces agents from a culture who could really use a nice, new starship.

Any landing you can walk away from: One minute you’re minding your own business, enduring a dull mission on a cramped shuttlecraft with some of your crewmates, the next your shuttle’s crashed in a ravine, some of your colleagues are dead or injured, and there’s a large predator and his friends waiting to chow down. And what was it that caused a normally reliable Starfleet shuttlecraft to crash anyway? Could it have been the energy field emanating from that strange structure further down the valley? This kind of scenario is perfect as a means of spotlighting individual characters and perhaps as a great one-off if you’re in need of a quick solo adventure.

Game References:
    Iyaaran: See Chapter X: Aliens
    Iyaar: See Chapter X: Worlds

Episode Notes -

Iyaarans procreate through post cellular compounding. They emerge from the natal pod fully grown.
    Iyaar is home to spectacular crystal formations.
    Physical abilities appear to fall within human norms, although their stamina may be greater.
    Iyaaran metabolism slows to heal major wounds causing a state that resembles death (This may not be true as it is part of Voval’s deception).
    Bioenzymatic Supplements are the preferred means of nourishment.
    Voval’s ability to take on another form is apparently not a natural talent, rather provided by artificial means.

The notes above are reminders to aid in statting out the relevant characters or races who guest star in each episode.

Regards

Renny
    Last edited by Renny; 03-18-2005 at 02:55 AM.

Very nice, Renny. Well done. And nice of you to do the species notes for when I do the species writeups.

One thing I might mention: I'm not doing a Worlds chapter, so there's no need to mention any planets in the Game References.

Otherwise, looks top-notch!

Progress update: I haven't had a chance to work on the book for a few days, as I was on a deadline on a comics-illustrating gig this past week. Back on it next week though!
    chris "mac" mccarver