Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: TrekRPG Next Generation Sourcebook

I loooove it

Well, would work just as well without the purple though

Another "Love the cover, change the purple" vote.

How about a two tone red and black band that matches the TNG uniform?

Take a screenshot of a TNG episode, and sample the carpet colours... : P
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Second draft:

chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

Actually I quite like it though it could use maybe some subtle shading, and a light texture, not TOO much, but it could look cool!
    Ta Muchly

The red and blue doesn't work. You might consider slightly altering the colour saturation of the crew photo as well to match the basic colour scheme.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Close-to-final draft here:

chris "mac" mccarver

Nice.

Much better, though the colour of the background could use a smidge tweaking Oh and some of your clipping is showing hehe! Definitely getting there!
    Ta Muchly

I actualy liked the version before the last one (with the blueish background instead of the red) a bit more. The blue reminds me of the Starships cover, still my favorite book, while the latest design approach has a very Narrator's Guide feel to it.

Ohh, nice. Luv the border. If someone does other series books, having the border match the style of each series uniforms seems like the way to go.

I think I prefer the blue background too. The red could be nice, but looks off, a little too pinkish and dull.

How about a more vibrant reddish red, or maybe try gold ?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    Ohh, nice. Luv the border. If someone does other series books, having the border match the style of each series uniforms seems like the way to go.

I think I prefer the blue background too. The red could be nice, but looks off, a little too pinkish and dull.

How about a more vibrant reddish red, or maybe try gold ?
    The range is from white to red, when it could be something like orange to red... hmm

Yes subtly alter the gradient so it doesn't go through 'pink' but orange hmmm...

If you have the original component layers I'll gladly mess on with it in Photoshop for you: cutting them out would be a chore hehe
    Ta Muchly

Okay, making notes here...

The side border seems to be working for everyone (and I agree that it could be a design mainstay for other series sourcebooks)...

The opinion on the background hue appears to be split down the middle, um... anyone for purple?

I would go the gold route for the background but on the off-chance (Great Bird forbid) I want to do a DS9 or TOS book, I think gold would work better for either of those instead (since earthtones were the background color du jour for DS9 and it would match the TOS command uniform)...

Fixed the clipping in any event, Tobian.

So the major issue appears to be the background tone. Stylistically, the Decipher books have always had a background matching the side border color-wise, but I agree the blue one looks a little better and more in line with the TNG theme.

Any thoughts?

Bear in mind: the more I work on the cover, the less I'm working on what it wraps around.

EDIT: In case anyone's interested how I'm compositing the cover, here's the layer breakdown from top to bottom

Text
    Side border
    Crew cutout
    A layer of solid red with opacity at half
    A desaturated composite of the 1701's
    Last edited by Mac417; 09-07-2007 at 04:34 PM.
    chris "mac" mccarver

A purple sidebar would work better for DS9. Lemme play with it and I'll post some examples.

EDIT: Okay, I've been looking at it in photoshop and the problem is that the contrast in the backround images is too high. Comparing it with the books, the backround images occupy a midrange-to-dark level of contrast, while the foreground headshots are very bright and occupy a full value range.

EDIT2: Here's a super-rough mockup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 09-07-2007 at 05:25 PM.