Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: TrekRPG Next Generation Sourcebook

I agree, collecting some of the stuff that's accumulated here and there and incorporating it into the book would be a good idea. Most of the stuff around here is of high quality , too, I suspect that the average member here has a bit more experience and skill than the typical gamer. That way we could have all work from the same page when dealing with species and ships that lack official write ups. t also lets you go over the things that have several different interpretations and pick the best.

I would think that most people here would be happy to see something that they posted make it into the book, providing that they are asked, and get credit for their work.

Well, I was thinking he could include them if he thought they were cool, like, aesthetically. A 'TrekRPG.net digest' pdf would be interesting, though.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    Well, I was thinking he could include them if he thought they were cool, like, aesthetically. A 'TrekRPG.net digest' pdf would be interesting, though.
    A collection of TrekRPG posters' contributions to the game would be cool.
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

Quote Originally Posted by Mac417
    A collection of TrekRPG posters' contributions to the game would be cool.
    Yeah, especially since the rest of TrekrRPG (other than the forums) is in limbo. THere was/is a lot of good stuff floating around on this site.

But, that would be (yet) another project.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    Yeah, especially since the rest of TrekrRPG (other than the forums) is in limbo. THere was/is a lot of good stuff floating around on this site.

But, that would be (yet) another project.
    Yeah, but it'd be easy. Cut and paste, check spelling and layout : P
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King
    Yeah, but it'd be easy. Cut and paste, check spelling and layout : P

Not quite. First would be the comprehensive search, then organizing it so that you got all the various interpretations of ships, species, etc. Then organzing by system (FASA/ICON/CODA). Some sort of cross ferenced index would be required (especially if you sort by ships design rather than author. Most authorrs write ups are internally consistent and tend to work better with that authors other write ups, plus it would help with matching up some of the fan art too.

But, there is a lot of material just sitting there in cyberspace just waiting to be brought together.

There are a lot of neat projects like that we could do. How about a book of sectors where each person works of a sector or two in detail with some adventures and background to use as a campaign setting?

Or a book of one of adventures (of TOS/TNG variety)? How about a book with one page adventure ideas? Sort of olike the Plot hooks from the ICON/CODA stuff, but expanded to ouline form. In theory a Trek GM could print off a page, flesh it out with notes in the margins (or better yet put the significant NPC stand in the adventure, along with some standardized NPCs stats in a separate supplement. speific NPCS from an appendix at the back of the book), and run.

With the number of people we have here, collections of small articles like species writues and such could really allow us to make some useful GM stuff. I love to see a book of starfleet NPCs to help crew out a ship. If 10 or 20 of us would each write up one science, offficer, command officer, etc. in a half page format with stats and paragrapth or two of background....

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg
    There are a lot of neat projects like that we could do. How about a book of sectors where each person works of a sector or two in detail with some adventures and background to use as a campaign setting?

Or a book of one of adventures (of TOS/TNG variety)? How about a book with one page adventure ideas? Sort of olike the Plot hooks from the ICON/CODA stuff, but expanded to ouline form. In theory a Trek GM could print off a page, flesh it out with notes in the margins (or better yet put the significant NPC stand in the adventure, along with some standardized NPCs stats in a separate supplement. speific NPCS from an appendix at the back of the book), and run.

With the number of people we have here, collections of small articles like species writues and such could really allow us to make some useful GM stuff. I love to see a book of starfleet NPCs to help crew out a ship. If 10 or 20 of us would each write up one science, offficer, command officer, etc. in a half page format with stats and paragrapth or two of background....
    Totally. Or maybe a round-robin kind of deal where people choose an era, one person creates a location, another some npcs and then the next guy puts it all together into a plot.

Yeah. It would be nice to tap the talent base around here for a project like that. Since it is a bunch of little bits, it would be easier to divide up, as opposed to other types of sourcebooks that would require a bit more coodination and continuity.

I've got some thoughts on the layout of the NPCs book. Sort of a mix between generic NPCs in the Pendrawgon/R3 mold, and the old RuneLords book (okay, so I'm a Chaosium groupie).

THe bulk of he book would be comprised of genrric NPCs broken up by type with the basic pacakge and about 80-90% of thier skill points spent, along with a few package otipns to help customize them. Then break them up by poor (just out of the academy), average (say 3\5 tours), good (8 tours), etc.

It would be nice to do up each of the basic career pacakges this way. So a GM could just grap a generic Flight Control Officer or MIssion OPerations officer on the fly.

I'd love to use/adat those rules for enlisted character from BTFF in with it. My goal would be to allow someone to generate a NPC quicjkly by just choosing (or rolling) a couple fo skills or pacakages. IDeally, I'd like to be able to crew a ship or base just by rolling something like 4 or 5 dice to generate a stat block for each crewman. Something like rollings 13426 would break down as:

1=Command
    3=Flight Ops
    4=Average Experience (3 tourns)
    2,6= Customization package #26

Each career section could have notes for more detailed NPCs, to be used for more singinficant characters.Somethinng like a few paragraphs decribing the NPC, folloed by a test blcok with the skill/stat addtions added to the "core" stats to make the NPC.

Just a crazy idea.

Still here, working on aliens.
    chris "mac" mccarver

please tell us if thereīs any news on the book, iīm looking forward to seeing the whole thing when itīs finished

greetz

If someone gets around to doing a "Planets/Worlds/Creatures" book/s, I still have the old stuff (Hylund, if anyone remembers) that I created when someone was working on an edition that never panned out. I'd be happy to take a shot at adapting it. (Even though I am poo at statting, I think I'm pretty fair at descriptions.)

I used to have other people's stuff too, but I appear to have wiped it from my drive when the project collapsed... though I haven't checked out all my old floppys since I moved...
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Was very eager to see if this was done and to offer my WOW to this...any more updates?
    "The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

Any updates

Hey, everyone, profuse apologies for the lack of updates and hugs appreciation for everyone's interest.

I'm sorry to report however that the TNG sourcebook's met with something of a standstill these past few months. My wife lost her job this past July, and trying to help her find a new one and get her unemployment and everything handled pretty much took precedence over everything else. And then another major bombshell dropped, though this one a lot more joyous.

This past September, my wife had learned that she was pregnant with our first child.

So rather than job-seeking, we've been dealing with doctor bills, getting the house ready for the new arrival, so on and so forth. While the sourcebook isn't far from my mind, actually getting the opportunity to work on it has met with some difficulty. I hope to get back on it in due course, but as you can tell, my blotter's gotten rather full.

Thanks again for your interest. It's not my intention to get everyone's hopes up about the book, and I hope to continue work on it in the immediate future.
    chris "mac" mccarver

Take your time, Chris.

Star Trek RPG gamers have to b e a patient folk and right now you have something so much more important going on in your life. A good friend of ours are having their first child in a matter of weeks and so I firsthand expirience all that comes up. The many doctor appointments, the bills, baby proofing the appartment and so on. Don't trick yourself into believing that you'll have any more time after the new arrival. But in my expirience getting a parent is one of the few things that really really is worth dropping the pace on anything Star Trek

Hope all is going well with the kid and the mother. Take good care of them.

May you have a wonderful 2009

BTW could you re-post your Titan Character Artwork I have seen over at BBS Boards maybe here someday?