Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TrekRPG Next Generation Sourcebook

TrekRPG Next Generation Sourcebook

I have a thread over on the FBR about this bad boy I'm working on, but I figure I'd better spread the coverage a bit.

In a nutshell, I'm writing the Next Generation Sourcebook for CodaTrek. It's met with quite a few delays due to convention trips, other paying projects, and general life concerns. Here's where I am thus far; I've been jumping around on various sections:

EPISODES & PLOT HOOKS: Halfway through Season 1.
    CHARACTER WRITEUPS: Through the L's, Lore's the next one I have to do.
    EQUIPMENT: All I have done there is the Ferengi Energy Whip.
    STARSHIPS: All statted up, just have to write the text descriptions.
    ALIENS: Bandi, Edo, Farpoint Entity (plus an Acamarian writeup graciously supplied by an FBR poster)
    CHAPTERS I HAVEN'T STARTED YET: Seasons 2-7, The Movies, The 1701-D, The 1701-E, and the Enterprise crew-specific character writeups.

More to come.
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

UPDATE 1/3/05:

EPISODES: Through "Angel One"
    CHARACTERS: Ardra, Ba'el, Morgan Bateson, B'Etor, Bok, Mark Jameson, Lore, Lutan, Q, The Traveler, Lwaxana Troi, Zorn
    ALIENS: Bandi, Crystalline Entity, Edo, Farpoint Entity, Soong-type android, Tarellian
    EQUIPMENT, STARSHIPS, 1701-D, 1701-E, ENTERPRISE CREW: No new progress on these sections
    chris "mac" mccarver

Due to the rumored impending announcement regarding Decipher's future plans for the Trek RPG license, I'm putting work on the TNG netbook on hold. If it turns out Decipher's to resume production (like it's starting to sound), the book will be shelved and I'll likely submit that which I've already done to be posted to any one of the existing fan-made media, such as BtFF.
    chris "mac" mccarver

I'm sorry I'm unclear
    were you hired to write the book?
    or were you going to do it and submit it?
    I'm sorry I've always been interested in developing RPGs but I've never known how to get into it nor do I have any idea what you are saying lol

No, this was to be a free-to-download netbook, completely unsolicited by Decipher or Paramount, much like Spacedock or the Dominion War SB.
    chris "mac" mccarver

Okay, everybody, after some nudging from the board population and myown personal tiring of hearing anything positive from Decipher, I'm back on this thing.

Here's where you come in.

I desperately am seeking input on this project. What in your mind HAS to be in this book? What's important to you. Here's what I'm intending to include:

Alien race writeups
    Starships
    Character stats
    Gear
    Episode summaries w/plot hooks
    Overview of the Enterprise
    Series timeline

Which of these are must-haves and which are just superfluous?

The floor's yours.
    chris "mac" mccarver

Quote Originally Posted by Mac417
    I desperately am seeking input on this project. . . Here's what I'm intending to include:

Alien race writeups
    Starships
    Character stats
    Gear
    Episode summaries w/plot hooks
    Overview of the Enterprise
    Series timeline

Which of these are must-haves and which are just superfluous?

The floor's yours.
    Of the list above, the following are superfluous as the information can be found in other sources:

Episode summaries w/plot hooks: Episode summaries can be found in the Star Trek The Next Generation Companion or at StarTrek.com. However, plot hooks for sequels to each episode might be interesting.

An overview of the Enterprise can be found in the Star Trek The Next Generation Technical Manual or Star Trek The Next Generation Enterprise Blueprints

A timeline can be found in the Star Trek Chronology. While the Chronology is currently out-of-date for the entire ST milieu, it is complete for the entirety of Star Trek The Next Generation.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Quote Originally Posted by Mac417
    What in your mind HAS to be in this book? What's important to you. Here's what I'm intending to include:

Alien race writeups
    Starships
    Character stats
    Gear
    These four are essential for a game book. The other three items, as Ezri pointed out, are not needed as they are easily available elsewhere. The Player's Guide and Operations Manual go into detail on the Federation and Starfleet during the TNG era and specific missions and other such stuff that Starfleet character-types need to know, so you can probably avoid that end of things too. Basically, I'd make it more of a "crunchy expansion" book for the TNG era than a "series guide". Just MHO.

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

I mostly agree with Ezri, and LQ. But I would include an episode summary with plot hooks. I really liked the way Mongoose did it for Babylon 5, and it truly would make it a NG sourcebook.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

The write up it's self should be included, but kept breif. However I agree the plot hooks are a very valuable tool indeed (if timetaking) as I've said before the Stargate Season handbooks are really good for this, even down to including the extra technology items, equiptment and statted people to populate it! I disagree that the write ups should be left out all together.. why have a dog and bark yourself.. why have a book but have to go on to the internet to find the information you need! Of course it's a monumental task for one person to take on, so I guess all hands on deck !
    Ta Muchly

Okay, here's an example of the format for the episode summary I've been playing with:

Mission Log 101/102:
    ENCOUNTER AT FARPOINT
    Stardate 41xxx.x

In Brief: The Enterprise is dispatched to investigate Farpoint Station, a planet-bound starbase located on Deneb IV.

Points of Interest:
    --Shakedown assignment for the Enterprise
    --Will Riker, Geordi LaForge, Beverly Crusher, and Wesley Crusher join the crew
    --First contact with the Q
    --Farpoint discovered to be a celestial lifeform enslaved by the Bandi (Deneb's native species) and freed by the Enterprise crew

Plot Hooks:
    Encountering Q: (blah blah don't feel like typing it all up since I'm at work )
    Revisiting Deneb IV: (ditto)
    Encountering the Farpoint Entities: (ditto)

Game Resources:
    Bandi: See Aliens chapter.
    Farpoint Entity: See Aliens chapter.
    Q (individual): See Supporting Cast chapter.
    Q (species): See Aliens, pp. xx-xx.
    Zorn: See Supporting Cast chapter.
    chris "mac" mccarver

This is such a cool idea, it would seem a shame to let it die.
    Perhaps you could show us a couple of completed episode summaries to set the mold, and then we can break up the episodes so there's no duplication of effort. I'd certainly be willing to have a go, and i'm sure others would be keen to contribute. Then all you'd have to do is edit the submitted summaries, rather than writing the lot yourself.

Regards

Renny

That sounds like it's a really good idea. Depending on how you're laying it out (what software) it might be possible to have page numbers automatically generated linking all of the articles together (what page the Bandi species is on etc). i guess you need allot of aliens writeups ! that will be timetaking !
    Ta Muchly

Actually, I've basically been doing all the articles in a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, then porting it over into Word in such a way that all the formatting's done for the most part and I just go back in to Word for tweak-editing.

I've pretty much got the remainder of the book covered (Not complete, but covered )... but I wouldn't mind delegating the writing of the episode bits out to the community, and assuming an editor role on that section of it. That's been the time-consuming bit of it, lemme tell ya.

I'm at work presently, but once I get home, I'll cut and paste what I have so far and then we can discuss who's doing what.

This is the format:

Mission Log (episode number):
    (episode title, all caps)
    Stardate (stardate)

In Brief: (short one-paragraph synopsis of the episode)

Plot Hooks (minimum of 1, max of 3):
    (plot hook title, either literal or catchy): (plot hook text)
    (plot hook title): (plot hook text)
    (plot hook title): (plot hook text)

Game Resources:
    (element): (where to find it; if it's an element found in the other books the format is "See (book title), pp. xx-xx." If it's something in the sourcebook, "See Chapter XX: (chapter title)."
    (element): (where to find it)
    chris "mac" mccarver

Sounds pretty good. Keep going with it. I'm holding out on volunteering as there's loads of stuff going on in my life right now, but i'm more than haoppy to review on the forums or PM if you like.
    Ta Muchly