Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tractoring at Warp?

Tractoring at Warp?

I have a quick query for anyone out there that might have an answer to this, I'm a little too addled at the moment due to lack of sleep to recall the following though I seem to vaguely recall a few instances.

Are there any episodes in any of the series that clearly show one starship tractoring another, presumably disabled or unable to resist and going to warp?

If anyone can recall such an episode can you please post the episode and series here please.

Thanks.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

They do not use a tractor beam to tow at warp as Picard lectured Riker in Star Trek: The Next Generation Episode "The Battle". They mentioned using the towing ship's warp field's "wake" to 'tow' the USS Stargazer. I assume it is possible because the reason stated for just using the warp field wake was for energy conservation. I assume in any case that the ship would have to fit with in the warp field or extend to envelope the towed ship.
    Last edited by spshu; 12-28-2004 at 11:37 AM. Reason: remove quote
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

DS9's "Paradise" (s2 e15) has one Runabout tractoring another (running on automatic) at warp. It was, however, at fairly low warp, and Kira was worried about the possibility of both ships coming apart under the strain!

Why they couldn't just hack in through the security codes, I don't know
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Therein lay one issue that I have had with Trek, they talk about salvaging vessels or building stations and then moving them to various places. WIthout the ability to take them to warp, it makes it nearly impossible.

I considered the extension of the warp field but then there is the matter of keeping the other ship stable while moving, after all I would think it still needs stronger guidance then just an extended warp field.

I began to seriously question this when I began considering the SAR's starship and the two tugs I am building.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

Actually, in DS9, they did show a tug tractoring a disabled ship at warp after a battle, but I think you could safely say that only dedicated designed-from-the-core-out tegs can safely do so, and any other ship which attempts it risks serious damage.

Anyone know which episode Owen refers to?

While I agree dedicated tugs would have an easier time, we're clearly shown in instances that both the original Enterprise and TNG's have towed starships. Granted, at least in the case of TNG not at warp and I'd have to go watch the TOS episodes but still...

I'm currently working out a rough system for use in SD to address the situation in my own campaigns. The power costs alone are staggering and the possible warp speeds attainable are heavily reduced but I think the system should work.

I'd just like to find a bit more evidence on screen so to speak.

Regards,
    CKV.

The tug is shown in DS9's A Time to Stand, towing an Excelsior. It's part of a damaged fleet, returning from a battle.

Personally, I see no real reason to stat out such a ship using SD, as it's not going to be in combat.

Call it completeness, amusement, and the fact that I am known for throwing my PCs into odd situations. *grin*

Regards,
    CKV.

And someone might want to blow it up, thus preventing salvage or stealing the salvage for themselves, etc.

I don't remember the fleet being at warp however? But I do agree there needs to be some form of a "Warp Tug" in the Trek universe.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.
    There was also an Ep where the defiant towed a salvaged jem'hadar fighter back to DS9. Can't recall righ now which one, but i think it was season 3!

Worf, O'Brien, Dax Sisko & a red shirt were stuck on the ship.

There have been a few references to warp towing, best i can guess is that it's best done at low warp, and the ship that's towing has to be at least the same size or bigger than the ship being towed.

I imagine for game purposes the warp field has to be extended around the towed vessel.

That's the way i'd play it anyway.

Sundowner
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowner
    There was also an Ep where the defiant towed a salvaged jem'hadar fighter back to DS9. Can't recall righ now which one, but i think it was season 3!
    "The Ship." Season 5.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

So what is considered the safe warp speed limit for towing?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Until I get my hands on any of those episodes, I'm working out my own system. I'll modify it to be as accurate as possible once I have seen the onscreen evidence.

Anyone know whether or not a warp speed was given in any of these episodes?

Regards,
    CKV.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)

Lightbulb

I've held back on weighing in on this discussion, since I hadn't really seen any of the 24th C. episodes. One thing, though; didn't the Enterprise take the Botany Bay in tow in "Space Seed?" I thought they were technically at warp through part of that.

Personally, I'd rule that since you can tractor a ship up to one size smaller than your own, you can only travel at half its cruising speed (since you have to extend the warp bubble to cover the towed craft).

For ships that are two or more sizes smaller, the warp bubble expansion is much smaller and easier to maintain, allowing a ship to travel up to its full cruising speed without problems.

If you folks remembered the Schmidt-class tug from my Starfleet Prototype 2291-92 thread, I applied the enhanced system edge to the tractor beam system, allowing for greater towing capacity (since it was a dedicated vessel). Anyway, those are my thoughts on the matter.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Thank You Sea Tyger.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"